The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Much of the same but there was a semblance of improvement otherwise we wouldn't still be in the division.

I think at times we are all obsessed with funds and what players that brings in,because undoubtedly the argument cannot be dismissed, but we tend to negate that by things like good decisions and prudent player selection. 

In Mourinho's first season back, he was clear what needed to be done to make them Champions.....before a barrage of comments like anybody would, I don't think its so certain everybody would, its a certain kind of Nous to take a team from Close to Champions.... Wenger has been trying for years.

There are many teams that just can't get the attention to detail right.

I'm hoping Tim Sherwood in relative terms knows what is required to move us forward.....I don't think it will take enormous funding, I think it is critical of the right Characters that come in.....and that may be many players to change the clubs/teams mentality.

I remember mooting Robbie Savage to a Villa Fan in the Aston Social when he was at Leicester before "you know who" signed him...He nearly jumped down my throat inferring that he was not good enough for us. I think we have had this "delusions of grandeur" syndrome for a while and there seems a section of the fan base that is loathed to appreciate the values of that type of nuisance value and what it brings to the team and how it helps the players with the guile.

Don't misconstrue my point I don't like Robbie Savage, but I value his worth as a type of football player as I did the better version which was Des Bremner....we need a good one.

I think we need a few more who find pressing a natural part of their game.

It was said recently by one of the Sky Pundits that teams at the top that win Championships are teams that win when they play bad....Man U were past masters under Fergie and Chelsea are the new version.

In equal terms the parallel can be aligned to the bottom of the table.

A poster wrote recently on here ( referring to another game) decent teams don't play that bad, I think they have a point....or don't go down to those low levels of performance.

All teams have good days and bad days....But there are certain levels of bad that you are entitled to question quite seriously when teams arrive there, if there is any intention of genuinely moving the team forward...or conversely paying lip service to the game and marking it down as a bad day at the office.

We cannot keep sweeping under the carpet games where we capitulate or fail to have any significant impact on any part of the game.

If we are to move forward, I think this mentality from all concerned needs to change.....This not a case of wallowing in demise, its more of a case of rejecting the acceptability of it when it arrives.

Edited by TRO

I don't agree that they're a truly dreadful group of players. They are an average bunch that had lost their way under Lambert so to say Sherwood is a genius is stretching it. I'm yet to be convinced by him especially after the performances against Saints and Arsenal.

• Like 1

Reading some of this is honestly laughable. He took over a team that had scored 2 goals in 10 games and only picked up 3 points out of 30. Twice this season went 5 games without scoring a goal. Give him two weeks to get settled the try to get to grips with this team and what did he do?

Beat WBA twice in a week and send us to an FA Cup semi final, over Pulis who a lot would have wanted us to get if he was available.

Go to Sunderland and smash them inside 45 minutes, almost doubling our away goals for the season in one game.

Benteke who couldn't even get the ball before, scored a hat trick v QPR in a game we should have won.

Go to his old club who have spent fortunes and are a level above us and win.

Win an FA Cup semi at Wembley and out play Liverpool in what was the best day in years for this club.

Give Man City a good go and we were very unlucky to lose, we were the better team.

Beat Everton and West Ham at home to secure safety.

He gets a 10/10 for me but for some reason we are focusing on two dead games when we were all but safe and an FA cup final against a CL side on form. Yes the manner of the FA Cup defeat wasn't good but forget that and look at what he did overall.

A lot thought Lambert was doing okay and the nobody could do better. Sherwood comes in and does 1000% better and fans have doubts. I just don't get it. I could go on and on but I don't see the point, replace him with Allardyce? Im out.

Just absolutely this. I've been backing Sherwood so much it must sound like I'm in a secret relationship with him but I think he has done fantastically well. People have AMAZINGLY short memories to already forget just how bad we were under Lambert. We were worse than we've ever been and somehow Sherwood turned it around.

How he doesn't get more plaudits from his own fans is totally beyond me. I don't really know what people expect anymore. We're one of the worst and most depressing teams in the league but he kept us up with a truly dreadful group of players. The man's a genius.

total nonsense  for me. He's done well enough just, by the skin of the teeth, finishing 17th, edging us past qpr burnley and hull thanks to benteke. A class player who found fitness and form at the right time, yes he kicked them up the arse and gave them som freedom great, but in terms of subs, plan B and general nous he's unproven at best, not to mention isolated talented players for no reason at all whilst inexplicably picking insomnia.

the 6-1 smashing to southampton was pathetic, and this was followed up be a revolting home defeat to burnley, two results which in context could be considered tolerable if the players then had saved themselves for the final - and we know how **** incompetent that shower were yesterday. It seemed the players gave up after the 1-0 v west ham, content they weren't going to have reduced salaries next season. **** them and let's see about sherwood, he has a bloody long way to go to prove any sort of long term competency in the job.

Any old tit can look good by not being the previous guy - exhibit a - stuart **** pearce. Would you want him managing us?

• Like 2

I don't agree that they're a truly dreadful group of players. They are an average bunch that had lost their way under Lambert so to say Sherwood is a genius is stretching it. I'm yet to be convinced by him especially after the performances against Saints and Arsenal.

I'd agree with that bit. Overall, it is a mid-table standard squad which Lambert just happened to be badly underperforming with. However, it shouldn't be forgotten just how bad a state they had been left in - mentally on the floor after having any attacking capability effectively coached out of them.

Sherwood was the right sort of character to generate a boost in that situation and I'll always be appreciative to the man for keeping us up. Of course though, the completion of his short-term mandate doesn't serve as an indicator for whether he can push the club on beyond that. I have absolutely no idea how he'll do next season other than being fairly sure that we won't be relegated at least with the assumption that we're likely to win enough games under him to ensure our heads are kept above water. Although saying that, it could be that he is a momentum manager in which case the above assumption is flawed, who knows.

The business done in the summer will probably determine my optimism when next season arrives. If we sign a bunch of lazily scouted, poor value, 'MON signings' then any enthusiasm will be severly curbed. And I do fear that may well be the case, I just hope that Reilly has some authority in the transfer policy so it's not purely at whim of the manager.

• Like 2

I'd agree with that bit. Overall, it is a mid-table standard squad which Lambert just happened to be badly underperforming with. However, it shouldn't be forgotten just how bad a state they had been left in - mentally on the floor after having any attacking capability effectively coached out of them.

Sherwood was the right sort of character to generate a boost in that situation and I'll always be appreciative to the man for keeping us up. Of course though, the completion of his short-term mandate doesn't serve as an indicator for whether he can push the club on beyond that. I have absolutely no idea how he'll do next season other than being fairly sure that we won't be relegated at least with the assumption that we're likely to win enough games under him to ensure our heads are kept above water. Although saying that, it could be that he is a momentum manager in which case the above assumption is flawed, who knows.

The business done in the summer will probably determine my optimism when next season arrives. If we sign a bunch of lazily scouted, poor value, 'MON signings' then any enthusiasm will be severly curbed. And I do fear that may well be the case, I just hope that Reilly has some authority in the transfer policy so it's not purely at whim of the manager.

A lot of people have expressed similar fears but what exactly are they basing this on?

I'm with you, I don't think it's a dreadful group of players at all.

It's a cracking opportunity for a manager to do a decent job, even if the status quo remains in terms of investment.

It's a young squad, a lot of players with potential to improve, well balanced in most positions, wages under control - no need for further cuts and a couple of very valuable assets.

Lacks quality, but if he can manoeuvre a few out and sweat the budget as best he can, there is no reason a top 10 finish should not be the aim, with an expectation of 12-14th.

A lot of people have expressed similar fears but what exactly are they basing this on?

Lazy links in newspapers that are either mocked when it or taken as gospel, depending on the posters' viewpoints

Reading some of this is honestly laughable. He took over a team that had scored 2 goals in 10 games and only picked up 3 points out of 30. Twice this season went 5 games without scoring a goal. Give him two weeks to get settled the try to get to grips with this team and what did he do?

Beat WBA twice in a week and send us to an FA Cup semi final, over Pulis who a lot would have wanted us to get if he was available.

Go to Sunderland and smash them inside 45 minutes, almost doubling our away goals for the season in one game.

Benteke who couldn't even get the ball before, scored a hat trick v QPR in a game we should have won.

Go to his old club who have spent fortunes and are a level above us and win.

Win an FA Cup semi at Wembley and out play Liverpool in what was the best day in years for this club.

Give Man City a good go and we were very unlucky to lose, we were the better team.

Beat Everton and West Ham at home to secure safety.

He gets a 10/10 for me but for some reason we are focusing on two dead games when we were all but safe and an FA cup final against a CL side on form. Yes the manner of the FA Cup defeat wasn't good but forget that and look at what he did overall.

A lot thought Lambert was doing okay and the nobody could do better. Sherwood comes in and does 1000% better and fans have doubts. I just don't get it. I could go on and on but I don't see the point, replace him with Allardyce? Im out.

Just absolutely this. I've been backing Sherwood so much it must sound like I'm in a secret relationship with him but I think he has done fantastically well. People have AMAZINGLY short memories to already forget just how bad we were under Lambert. We were worse than we've ever been and somehow Sherwood turned it around.

How he doesn't get more plaudits from his own fans is totally beyond me. I don't really know what people expect anymore. We're one of the worst and most depressing teams in the league but he kept us up with a truly dreadful group of players. The man's a genius.

total nonsense for me. He's done well enough just, by the skin of the teeth, finishing 17th, edging us past qpr burnley and hull thanks to benteke. A class player who found fitness and form at the right time, yes he kicked them up the arse and gave them som freedom great, but in terms of subs, plan B and general nous he's unproven at best, not to mention isolated talented players for no reason at all whilst inexplicably picking insomnia.

the 6-1 smashing to southampton was pathetic, and this was followed up be a revolting home defeat to burnley, two results which in context could be considered tolerable if the players then had saved themselves for the final - and we know how **** incompetent that shower were yesterday. It seemed the players gave up after the 1-0 v west ham, content they weren't going to have reduced salaries next season. **** them and let's see about sherwood, he has a bloody long way to go to prove any sort of long term competency in the job.

Any old tit can look good by not being the previous guy - exhibit a - stuart **** pearce. Would you want him managing us?

When Lambert got sacked what were you expecting for the rest of the season?

Such an overreacting moan.

What worries me a little is that he'll only bring in players that he wants to fit his style and his system and not bring in players that would benefit the club long term in an alternative style and system, (another manager's).

What a strange thing to moan about.

IM backing Tim, but the last few game's  his tactics has been shocking.

Southampton  - high line anyone could see that but somehow not tim.

Yesterday .. surly he should of looked at the Sunderland/swansea game v Arsenal. monk and dick sat 10 behind the ball and broke - now im all for going for it but some game's u just have to sit behind the ball.

What worries me a little is that he'll only bring in players that he wants to fit his style and his system and not bring in players that would benefit the club long term in an alternative style and system, (another manager's).

What a strange thing to moan about.

I'd only be moaning about it if it came to pass. Not quite a moan, not yet. Concern and moaning are quite different things.

On his outspoken preference for British players.

• Like 1

Carles Gil is a prime example. Gil is a game changer, a David Silva type of player, exactly the kind of creative midfielder we've all been crying out for for years and Sherwood completely froze him out. It's worrying because it

suggests stubbornness and inflexibility. All our midfielders did yesterday was dribble into three defenders over and over again. Gil has the guile and vision to create space and have a shot at goal from range, or make that incisive 

pass that can lead to a goal. Grealish really should have come off at halftime for Gil, or Sinclair. Delph was having a shocker too.

That's basically every single brittish manager/coach in nutshell, and as much as I give credit for Sherwood saving our asses from the relegation to which we were doomed for, the above reason is exactly why I would've preferred continental manager instead of brittish one.

There's a reason why brittish managers don't do better in modern football, and that's the reason.

• Like 2

im backing tim,

HOPE...i took heart when i heard tim locked the "team" in dressing room for 30mins, we heard he told a number of the players to their faces they wont play for aston villa AGAIN & have no future in the club & to find another club.

if we are 1 point less next year ..were relegated, who ever tim brings into our club i trust his judgement ..ffs they carnt be any worse then the wasters on show. 

Â