The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I have no proble with him being ruthless.

But I don't think calling the players losers and telling some of them to find new clubs before the season was over was the best move.

The performances in the last few games would suggest that it didn't help morale.

• Like 1

He's not getting the sack and like every pre-season there won't be a massive clear-out, it's all just a hopeless dumb dream.

Agree on the former but not the latter but time will tell. Personally I think he needs a massive clearout to change the overall mentality of the squad.

We don't need a lot of players. We have a lot of non contributors who we could replace with youth team players. Europa would have killed us anyway. I trust Sherwood to buy some quality as he must have known the state of the squad and agreed sum finances

AVFC

3 months ago we looked crap, certain for the drop which would mean no takeover. We couldn't score any goals and were the laughing stock of the league.

yep look at us now. We look certain for the drop next season, comments from the club the last two weeks suggest no takeover is imminent anyway, we've scored one goal in the last 3 games and didn't even look like scoring in them and after the performance yesterday we are the laughing stock in the league!

Yep.

Meet the new guy, same as the old guy. Last three games especially.

Glad you've decided to give Tim a chance mate.

Firstly, the last three games have been very Lambert-esque. I guess for you the best thing is that he isn't Lambert, I get that, I know that is his best point for you.

Secondly

Drum roll...

Ta-da!!!!!

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/12760-the-tim-sherwood-thread/page-329#entry1670348 

This post is exactly what I was referring to. Your every comment thereafter has been everything but giving him a chance. I agree Sherwood should be criticized, but I also think enough is enough. Anyway, my comment was post on poster, which I apologize.

I think it would be very unwise to allow Sherwood total control of incomings and outgoings. The players are often around for longer the the manager that signs them, so I think it would be smart to take a long term perspective and not to assume that Tim will be around for 5 years to build the club. It rarely works like that.

These are big decisions the club has to take this summer, they need to get them right.

• Like 1

I think it would be very unwise to allow Sherwood total control of incomings and outgoings. The players are often around for longer the the manager that signs them, so I think it would be smart to take a long term perspective and not to assume that Tim will be around for 5 years to build the club. It rarely works like that.

These are big decisions the club has to take this summer, they need to get them right.

This would mean that Tim is not fully responsible for the outcome, since it wouldn't be his team.

Nor is the other bloke who buys the players, since Tim manages the team.

Tom Fox would be the only one fully responsible for our success.

Edited by AVTuco

This would mean that Tim is not fully responsible for the outcome, since it wouldn't be his team.

If we allow the manager full control of transfers, then it will be Martin O'Neill all over again and we will have to start over again every time a manager is sacked or leaves. 

Having someone higher up helping with transfers allows us to sign players that fit into the team more long term, like Southampton and Swansea are doing. (actually all the top teams have people higher up helping with signings). So the players fit the club and not only the manager.

• Like 2

If we allow the manager full control of transfers, then it will be Martin O'Neill all over again and we will have to start over again every time a manager is sacked or leaves. 

Having someone higher up helping with transfers allows us to sign players that fit into the team more long term, like Southampton and Swansea are doing. (actually all the top teams have people higher up helping with signings). So the players fit the club and not only the manager.

I'm not sure what use is this "players fit the club"... I see your point, but to me responsibility has to end somewhere. Someone is helping the manager make the right choices, but ultimately he has to make the decisions. If he doesn't, then the team is someone else's.

A lot of doomsday overreactions, not dissimilar to the laughable comments about how we'd win out after the Everton/West Ham games.

We'll lose a lot of games with this squad and will do so again next season, Sherwood's shown to have promise and deserves a chance, but also shown he should keep his mouth shut. 

• Like 2

TS is right though, it is obvious to anybody looking at our club that the players we have are just not good enough, there is no fight, no passion, he did not say they were losers he said the have a loser mentality, too many times have we seen sloppy passing, lack of tracking players, bad marking,walking round the pitch, we have to get players who refuse to lose, will put their body on the line to get points, we just have no fight or movement, TS as manager takes the blame for this, why should it be his fault if players do not follow simple instructions or put the effort in. It has gone on for too long and it needs to change.

Saying on the radio this morning he has backtracked - theres not going to be wholesale changes, its only the fringe players that he will move on. For me Cissokho, Guzan, Gil, could all still play a part - Madness !

I think the first question when employing a new coach should be 'Can he organise a defence' , Sherwood clearly can't - do we make that call now or wait November \ December ?

Â