The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He has done a decent job so far. I am grateful he kept us up.. i think his motivational style is what did it. I think he was the right man to keep us up.. but i am not sure if he is the one for the long term. The honeymoon period is over.. and i have not been convinced by his tactics. I dont know whether he has what is requires to rebuild a squad in the transfer market.

However, before people go on the defensive... I dont want him out.. i just have my doubts. I am happy to see how he goes and hopefully i am suprised with his wheeling and dealing in the transfer market.

Benteke will be gone and there are quite a few that should be sold/let go.

Given

Senderos

Vlaar

Hutton

Cissohko

Lowton

Cole

Nzogbia

Herd

Wiemann

Luna

Helenius
Bennett

Bent

Stevens

Sylla

Tonev

Lambert signed some good players but signed even more duds. Our squad is full of dross. A massive clear out is required... so i hope he doesnt get rid of Guzan and GIl before the list above... as i think they should be in the squad.

It is a big big job. I dont know if it should be done by a manager without experience but good luck to him and i sincerely hope he proves my doubts about him wrong. It is going to be a big summer.

• Like 2

Sherwood did well to keep us up as did Lambert before him. But this idea that he performed some sort of miracle in doing so, is over played in my opinion, we were only in the drop zone on goal difference when he arrived.

Just ignore the fact we had scored about 1 goal in the previous 10 league games and were truly woeful going forward after that Hull game as we had been all season. Sherwood performed a **** miracle to keep us up.

No denying that we were in a bad run of form but as I say only in the drop zone on goal difference, we just needed an upturn in form which was inevitable given that form is temporary. If Sherwood performed a miracle then what the hell did Pearson do at Leicester, they were fifteen points behind us.

We're going to lose one of our eat players to fund this venture, I'd guess. I see the logic in having a shakeup but I'm not sure I trust someone as inexperienced as Tim to do it. If we sell Benteke to fund his vision, and he gets it wrong - we're left with another shit squad minus Benteke. I'm not joking when i say I'd take Allardyce in now.

Players really let him down today. He can do very little about so many players giving no effort.

Wrong, he takes full responsibility for his players playing like headless chickens.

Completely wrong. These players are really rubbish. He's performed a small miracle even getting us to the final and saving us from almost definite relegation under the previous manager.

• Like 2

We're going to lose one of our eat players to fund this venture, I'd guess. I see the logic in having a shakeup but I'm not sure I trust someone as inexperienced as Tim to do it. If we sell Benteke to fund his vision, and he gets it wrong - we're left with another shit squad minus Benteke. I'm not joking when i say I'd take Allardyce in now.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

Sherwood did his job, not always in stellar fashion, but he kept us up. I have misgivings about his suitability long term, his egoism, his mistakes. Not sure he is the right guy. I can see a team turning on him when results go down the toilet for a 5 week stretch in November-December.

But in some ways he has earned the right to have a full season's go. I'm on the fence, TBH. the last three games seems like he lost the plot, and whatever mental lift he'd given the squad has worn off. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Sherwood did his job, not always in stellar fashion, but he kept us up. I have misgivings about his suitability long term, his egoism, his mistakes. Not sure he is the right guy. I can see a team turning on him when results go down the toilet for a 5 week stretch in November-December.

But in some ways he has earned the right to have a full season's go. I'm on the fence, TBH. the last three games seems like he lost the plot, and whatever mental lift he'd given the squad has worn off.

How I see it too.

After a good nights sleep I've come back to my senses. I believe what Tim said in that interview a couple pages back - we have a losing mentality in this football club. Just check out the match thread and it's plain to see from the fans' reactions. This needs to be changed, it is the single most important task for Tim in the offseason. We need investment, and Tim needs to invest well, but if the culture doesn't change, then we'll not move forward but backwards. I still think Tim is the man to make this mentality change, but Randy has to play his part aswell.

I will give him until January. I'm gutted to even mention the rubbish served yesterday but he has until January for me. I think that's fair, what I won't do is keep on delaying the judgement because it will be a Lambert situation all over again. I'll give my opinions on the signings when they happen but will still give him until January. If we get new owners I am convinced they will do the same.

But in some ways he has earned the right to have a full season's go.

In what way hasn't he?
The same way he's never really earned a Premier League manager position, but here we are.

Cheers for keeping us up Tim, incredible work, all the best for next season.

A lot of his ethos has been driven by Benteke, I do wonder what the plan is if he goes, it's going to be tough.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/arsenal-4-aston-villa-0-9361417

Arsenal 4 Aston Villa 0: Tim Sherwood has already started his cull of unwanted players
As Villa cope with FA Cup final agony, Sherwood reveals he has told players to leave

Tim Sherwood has wasted no time starting his overhaul by telling some Aston Villa players to leave the club.

Sherwood wants to make “as many changes as we can possibly do” to truly stamp his mark on Villa this summer.

Some fringe players have already been told they are surplus to requirements, although the manager would not reveal who.

Speaking in the aftermath of Villa’s crushing FA Cup final defeat, he explained he is also keen to continue improving existing players and adapting the style of play.

Asked how soon he intends to start rebuilding Villa, he replied: “Immediately. “Some of the boys have already been told that they won’t be here next year or they can go and find other clubs because I like to be that honest with them.

“I don’t want to let experienced players be strung along because I don’t think it’s right and we will be bringing in additions. Asked how different his Villa squad will be next season, he replied: “In personnel you mean? There will be a few changes.

“I wouldn’t say.... well there will be as many as we can possibly do. “We obviously know we need to improve, but I think I can improve the group we’ve got in there as well. I think I’ve done that since I‘ve been in the club.

“I think I need to start improving a few more and also finding different ways to play which suits some of the boys who haven’t played today.” Sherwood admitted their FA Cup final margin of defeat against Arsenal reinforced what he already knew about the revamp needed at Villa.

“Absolutely, but I don’t think we needed this result to remind me of that,” he said. “It’s quite obvious anyway. “The team’s scraped relegation for the last four seasons and it’s not good enough for a team like Aston Villa, so we need to improve.

“We need to add to the squad and not only that, the group of players in there need to get better. We need to change some of their mentalities because they’re quite used to losing football matches, which is not a good habit.”

Sherwood’s message to the Villa fans left disappointed by the Wembley defeat was this: “They’ve been brilliant since I came into the club and probably previously, although I wasn’t taking too much notice then. They’ve been fantastic all season and we’re sorry we couldn’t give them anything to cheer about.”

So Tim has told certain players they can leave - whilst I don't have too much of a problem with that, I think the timing (doing so before our biggest game in recent history) was naive and could've had a bad effect on the squad.

Regardless of needing better players, let's not forget the team is basically a group of mates and there will be some strong friendships amongst them and not all between 'first choice' players.

Tim's 'honest/abrasive' style is akin to MON IMO and that didn't end well with many rumoured bust-ups, fall outs and contretemps between management and playing staff!

Same.

I've no problem with Tim's opinion that some of our squad are losers and I think it's actually a good thing that he's already earmarked who he's going to get rid of.

But I think the timing of saying that stuff has been really strange. If it was meant to fire the guys up (although I don't see how being called losers can do that) then it clearly didn't work.

• Like 1

I will give him until January. I'm gutted to even mention the rubbish served yesterday but he has until January for me. I think that's fair, what I won't do is keep on delaying the judgement because it will be a Lambert situation all over again. I'll give my opinions on the signings when they happen but will still give him until January. If we get new owners I am convinced they will do the same.

Unless we're just as shit and in the bottom 3 come January, I think he deserves a full season to show what he's capable of.

Made a few mistakes today but fair play for telling it how it is - there really is a losing mentality at Villa.

But how will that change withough serious investment?

If he's a good manager, then you don't need "serious investment" the majority of clubs don't spend a massive amount of money (outside the top 6), even Spurs, didn't they make a net profit last summer? You have to buy well to sell on, to buy more to sell on, etc. Unfortunately that's how football is these days with FFP.

Spurs have done nothing since they restricted spending.you have to spend ifyou want to challenge the big boys as Southampton found out they dropped off eventually

It's all well and good saying he wants to ged rid of the losing mentality but by definition that means bringing in winners. Lets be honest winners aren't going to want to come here 

I have a feeling next season may be a long hard struggle again 

I think he is in for a shock to some degree. It's fine asking players to find a new club but if they are on a big contract.. good luck. I'd imagine clubs looking at our players would try every trick possible now it's public he wants some to leave and called a few losers (loan with us paying 60% or more of the wages, pathetic transfer fees etc) I think he is saying what most fans want to hear after a defeat like that which I have no problems with, has made it more difficult going forward though.

• Like 1

Same.

I've no problem with Tim's opinion that some of our squad are losers and I think it's actually a good thing that he's already earmarked who he's going to get rid of.

But I think the timing of saying that stuff has been really strange. If it was meant to fire the guys up (although I don't see how being called losers can do that) then it clearly didn't work.

Yep it bugs me too. He needs to be less reactive with his mouth.

Â