The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

There has been very few managers I have been impressed with on the day of signing at Aston Villa....and the ones I have been impressed with .... have never turned out any better than the ones I haven't been impressed with.

So now, I choose not to second guess..... I just wait and see.

You make a very good point. I think you need to be careful to not put total faith in a manager when he arrives as that leaves you open to giving them way too much leeway if things do go wrong for a sustained period. Conversely you should not go the other way and be overly critical of a manager for every mistake due to him not being who you wanted in the first place. Being honest I have been guilty of both over the years.

The way I see it with Sherwood is pretty simple. He wasn't my first choice, far from it in fact. What I did admire about him when he came though before he even spoke a word is that I know there would have been many more experienced managers who wouldn't have gone anywhere near us given the size of the club, where we were in the league, the stage of the season and how poorly we were playing. Many managers simply wouldn't have wanted to risk their reputations for fear of being in charge of a club the size of Aston Villa when it was relegated.

Now I would accept you could argue he had very little to lose in terms of a reputation but as soon as you heard him speak it was clear it was about more than that. He genuinely believed he could turn this club around. In fact I get the impression he never doubted he could keep us up. I don't know if that was down to naivety or sheer belief, and a large touch of arrogance, in his own ability but the longer he has been here the more I believe it is the latter. The guy has a massive amount of self belief and he has so far been able to instill a fair amount of that in to the players and consequently in to the supporters and the club as a whole.

I don't know how Sherwood will fair in the medium to long term as he is totally unproven in terms of putting his own squad together. What I do know is that in the here and now he is doing extremely well given what he inherited and that his enthusiasm and balls out optimistic approach is infectious.

• Like 3

would love him to get the funds and 3 years to build, he clearly has the 'one of lads' ... ''All in it together' bit going, he grabbed every player like a mate after the match if that makes sense?!?! I get the feeling he's on their level being younger and takes the swashbuckling approach, all for 1 and 1 for all!!! I love it & get the impression the players do to!!

would love him to get the funds and 3 years to build, he clearly has the 'one of lads' ... ''All in it together' bit going, he grabbed every player like a mate after the match if that makes sense?!?! I get the feeling he's on their level being younger and takes the swashbuckling approach, all for 1 and 1 for all!!! I love it & get the impression the players do to!!

Funnily enough, he's actually older than Lambert.

But I get what you mean.

I'm not really sure that Sherwood isn't the same hit and miss chancer that he appeared to be when we employed him.

I'm rather grateful to him that he's sufficiently hit rather than miss to have us where we are now (i.e. what looks like safe) rather than where I thought we'd be under the last regime.

Thought we were very good v QPR and said then if we play that way well win pur fair share. It isn't naivety its a philosophy.

6th in the form table just 2 points behind man city and 4 behind Chelsea is terrific, especially considering the mess inherited ( although decent players) and a constantly altering defence.

And very watchable.

Very pleased.

• Like 2

I'm not really sure that Sherwood isn't the same hit and miss chancer that he appeared to be when we employed him.

I'm rather grateful to him that he's sufficiently hit rather than miss to have us where we are now (i.e. what looks like safe) rather than where I thought we'd be under the last regime.

Crikey, these double negatives!

Do you mean you are really sure he is the same hit and miss chancer he appeared to be when we employed him?

Even with that translation, I'm not really sure what you mean.

Sherwood came with a good track record at Spurs and he has turned the Villa team round 360 degrees so that they are playing attacking, positive football they could never have dreamed of under Lambert.

Not enough for you?

Edited by briny_ear

I know this is going to sound a bit crap but I'm not still not convinced by him - there's something that just doesn't feel right. 

I'm more than open to changing my opinion but for now I'm still not going to get carried away. 

• Like 1

Crikey, these double negatives!

Do you mean you are really sure he is the same hit and miss chancer he appeared to be when we employed him?

Even with that translation, I'm not really sure what you mean.

Sherwood came with a good track record at Spurs and he has turned the Villa team round 360 degrees so that they are playing attacking, positive football they could never have dreamed of under Lambert.

Not enough for you?

I think you mean 180 degrees :)

360 degrees = same direction as when you started.

Anyway, I agree with you. Sherwood has been fabulous. I was not thrilled when he arrived. I was wrong and I am happy about it.

I know this is going to sound a bit crap but I'm not still not convinced by him - there's something that just doesn't feel right. 

I'm more than open to changing my opinion but for now I'm still not going to get carried away.

You're right lexicon, it does sound crap. But right now I don't think anyone minds the odd wrong opinion. ;)

My concern with him is after a bit of success he will leave without batting an eye lid as it's team Sherwood.He just doesn't seem the type to hang around. Could be wrong but let's see.

My concern with him is after a bit of success he will leave without batting an eye lid as it's team Sherwood.He just doesn't seem the type to hang around. Could be wrong but let's see.

If things do go to plan and he does bring success to Villa (which I personally think he will) where would he leave us to go though? He seems a bit too maverick for one of Chelsea, Arsenal or the two Manchester clubs, and I can't see Levy having the balls to change his mind at Spurs. I think he thrives on being the underdog to a certain degree and that 'plucky old' Villa is the perfect fit for him. There are not many bigger clubs that us that he can manage in the way he wants to.

• Like 1

If things do go to plan and he does bring success to Villa (which I personally think he will) where would he leave us to go though? He seems a bit too maverick for one of Chelsea, Arsenal or the two Manchester clubs, and I can't see Levy having the balls to change his mind at Spurs. I think he thrives on being the underdog to a certain degree and that 'plucky old' Villa is the perfect fit for him. There are not many bigger clubs that us that he can manage in the way he wants to.

Used all my likes but good points Jenko.

Agree completely with this - I think even more so since Spuds sacked him, that he thrives off being the one nobody wants to see do well, very much like our Villa. We're a huge club, let us not forget that, and he actually was somewhat lucky to get the job in the first place.

Don't think he'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

He might have just been trying to get the fans on side, but when first joined, there was an interview I watched where he said how many years he was at Spurs, and he then said he wants to be here as long, if not longer.

Tim knows the English game. He knows the size of this club and I honestly think dragging a club of this size off the ground would be a challenge to suit the size of his ego more so than jumping ship. Honestly, who is he going to go to? We are as big of a club as any of the teams in the top 6 and he knows that, we just aren't acting like it.

Â