The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

People are just exercising caution. There are plenty of examples of managers coming into teams doing well initially and then it going wrong, Pulis at Albion being a recent example. I think it's a bit early to declare him the future of Aston VIlla and act all indignant if anyone dares to question him.

Given the nonsense that some people came out with in the defence of that muppet Lambert, I now find it unbelievable that people can't just enjoy a better manager getting us playing better football which has led to an upturn in results.  Each to their own though I guess.

Defending Lambert has nothing to do with being cautious about Sherwood, and being cautions doesn't mean you aren't enjoying results. Some people seem to be under the strange illusion that if you liked Lambert you can't like Sherwood, or if you disliked Lambert then you shouldn't dare to criticize Sherwood.

Perhaps.   I retain my suspicions though, that the people who were defending Lambert in the face of the indefensible have some weird hidden agenda.

The only agenda is carried by people making comments r.e: people defending Lambert.  He's gone, get over it.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone wants him to fail because that would mean relegation. I do think some didn't want him and are quick to criticise and jump on anything they see wrong as quickly as possible.

Don't forget us who didn't want him, but have been quick to pile on the praise...and deservedly so ;)

• Like 3

I didn't want him  but have ended up being one of the most outspoken in my praises of his time with us so far.

When I say this, I mean in terms of what he's done for us so far and what I think he'll do before the season's out. I have my reservations beyond this season, but if he keeps us up and wins us the FA cup as I expect, then he'll certainly deserve his chance to prove any long term reservations I might have wrong.

Edited by useless

Here is my take on Sherwoods performance last night... (please dont hate me)

1. Team Selection

Spot on. Grealish showed he can do some damage and almost scored in the first half. He actually stayed on the ball for majority of the time, and was a tricky little player to go against. Lowton at left back? In hindsight, maybe. But he actually played a player in his position... I couldnt fault him at 19.45 yesterday, so I will not do it now. Okore dropped? Vlaar is a much better CB on his day, but yesterday he did not shine. I would have picked the same.

2. Tactics

I felt like I watched the man u vs us game again. Only that we were man u. We played with some great attacking mind and scored 3 goals. Second half, he didnt change this mind set. QPR changed theirs. Which leads me to point number three...

3. Subs.

For all our moaning, around the 80th minute mark we started playing again, partly due to his subs. Cole did well (did anybody see that flick on to lowton at the edge of the box?!) and provided us some wisdom going forward. Lowton was brought on to cross those balls in the box. Do we have a better crosser in the team?! Maybe he wasnt the best yesterday, but I cant fault Tims idea. N'zog changed a very tired cleverley who just came back from an injury. Another attacking option

As for Gil, does anyone remember Sanchez in hirst first 2 games? We thought we signed makalele. Then, around the Arsenal game he fell apart. He only started playing well again half way through the season, yet Lambert kept picking him. Who knows, maybe Gil thinks he will just walk into the team without performing in training? Maybe he aint all that good? I dont know I can't really say, but if he picks Grealish over him, and grealish does as well as he did yesterday Im OK with it.

As for the score, bummer. I can only blame individual defending errors. Not the team selection, or the subs.

Here is my post from after the QPR game. I argued that the team selection was fine, and without too much bragging, my post was suprisingly well received.

At Tottenham, Tim picked exactly the same team.

Here is some of the quotes from the pre match thread (im not quoting here, partly because I dont want to point fingers and partly because I dont know how to)

'Richardson?

Bring Okore in and put Clark left back. Anything other than Richardson.

He is a disgrace to the shirt.'

'We have Lowton on the bench?! Is Sherwood clueless?'

'I'm getting just as frustrated with Sherwoods line ups than I was at lamberts.

Clark baker or Lowton would be better at left back than Richardson. He was utterly woeful on Tuesday. Meanwhile Gil gets completely frozen out unjustifiably.

Tim. Your pissing me off. ' (thats my personal favourite)

Oops! Sherwood Spurs are gonna tear us a new hole today because of you and your stupidity.

Vlaar is bloody useless but playing Richardson after Tuesday is just playing dumb.

Okore in for Vlaar and even the tea lady for Richardson would improve our chances of getting a result. 

Now, what I'm trying to say is that we have a new manager, new playing system, new things to look up to. The guy might be inexperianced but he is a manager of one of the greatest English teams. Let's cut him some slack, because he knows what he's doing when managing HIS team. At least more then myself or you do.

• Like 3

Here is my take on Sherwoods performance last night... (please dont hate me)

1. Team Selection

Spot on. Grealish showed he can do some damage and almost scored in the first half. He actually stayed on the ball for majority of the time, and was a tricky little player to go against. Lowton at left back? In hindsight, maybe. But he actually played a player in his position... I couldnt fault him at 19.45 yesterday, so I will not do it now. Okore dropped? Vlaar is a much better CB on his day, but yesterday he did not shine. I would have picked the same.

2. Tactics

I felt like I watched the man u vs us game again. Only that we were man u. We played with some great attacking mind and scored 3 goals. Second half, he didnt change this mind set. QPR changed theirs. Which leads me to point number three...

3. Subs.

For all our moaning, around the 80th minute mark we started playing again, partly due to his subs. Cole did well (did anybody see that flick on to lowton at the edge of the box?!) and provided us some wisdom going forward. Lowton was brought on to cross those balls in the box. Do we have a better crosser in the team?! Maybe he wasnt the best yesterday, but I cant fault Tims idea. N'zog changed a very tired cleverley who just came back from an injury. Another attacking option

As for Gil, does anyone remember Sanchez in hirst first 2 games? We thought we signed makalele. Then, around the Arsenal game he fell apart. He only started playing well again half way through the season, yet Lambert kept picking him. Who knows, maybe Gil thinks he will just walk into the team without performing in training? Maybe he aint all that good? I dont know I can't really say, but if he picks Grealish over him, and grealish does as well as he did yesterday Im OK with it.

As for the score, bummer. I can only blame individual defending errors. Not the team selection, or the subs.

Here is my post from after the QPR game. I argued that the team selection was fine, and without too much bragging, my post was suprisingly well received.

At Tottenham, Tim picked exactly the same team.

Here is some of the quotes from the pre match thread (im not quoting here, partly because I dont want to point fingers and partly because I dont know how to)

'Richardson?

Bring Okore in and put Clark left back. Anything other than Richardson.

He is a disgrace to the shirt.'

'We have Lowton on the bench?! Is Sherwood clueless?'

'I'm getting just as frustrated with Sherwoods line ups than I was at lamberts.

Clark baker or Lowton would be better at left back than Richardson. He was utterly woeful on Tuesday. Meanwhile Gil gets completely frozen out unjustifiably.

Tim. Your pissing me off. ' (thats my personal favourite)

Oops! Sherwood Spurs are gonna tear us a new hole today because of you and your stupidity.

Vlaar is bloody useless but playing Richardson after Tuesday is just playing dumb.

Okore in for Vlaar and even the tea lady for Richardson would improve our chances of getting a result. 

Now, what I'm trying to say is that we have a new manager, new playing system, new things to look up to. The guy might be inexperianced but he is a manager of one of the greatest English teams. Let's cut him some slack, because he knows what he's doing when managing HIS team. At least more then myself or you do.

Despite the win i still think Lowton would do a much better job and want Richardson gone in the summer.

I didn't want him but have ended up being one of the most outspoken in my praises of his time with us so far.

When I say this, I mean in terms of what he's done for us so far and what I think he'll do before the season's out. I have my reservations beyond this season, but if he keeps us up and wins us the FA cup as I expect, then he'll certainly deserve his chance to prove any long term reservations I might have wrong.

A lot of my not wanting him initially was because I was worried we needed someone with experience for staying up. So I was quite the opposite, and more okay to try with a full season...just not right now.

Happy to report that he seems to be giving us the quick fix to stay up, and I'm even more excited what he'll do with a full season and no premier relegation worries around his neck.

In terms of who would come to the villa, given the remit of the job...he's actually one of the most exciting prospects out there. Unproven, with a lot to prove

..much better option than the other sterile "safe" options. Exciting times ahead.

• Like 2

Second absolutely top post in a week mic09.

It isn't so much some of the pretty forceful criticisms but that they are being delivered after an incredibly short space of time and often imply some sort of imbecility on the part of the manager for which there are no grounds other than the bitter comments of a few spurs fans.

Have a look at the pre-match or match thread for any game over the past 10 years and you'll see dozens and dozens of absolutely absurd posts criticising everyone under the sun.

One of the reasons I don't use the match threads much anymore is because the emotions of match day appear to turn people into blithering idiots.

This is not unique to Sherwood. Those threads have been filled with that tripe since they existed.

That's just why I love them threads.

• Like 1

Would anyone on here prefer Pochettino to Sherwood?

I appreciate that hindsight is a wonderful thing but Spurs had a promising young manager who had done great work in the short period of time that he was in charge It seemed that he was never going to get the position full time, regardless of what he achieved.

Spurs loss is our gain. I'd go as far as to suggest that there will be  little between the 2 sides next season

Would anyone on here prefer Pochettino to Sherwood?

I appreciate that hindsight is a wonderful thing but Spurs had a promising young manager who had done great work in the short period of time that he was in charge It seemed that he was never going to get the position full time, regardless of what he achieved.

Spurs loss is our gain. I'd go as far as to suggest that there will be  little between the 2 sides next season

It's much much too early to be drawing conclusions as to how good Sherwood is or isn't, in my opinion.

He has started very well, but the real test will be whether he keeps it up next season (assuming he keeps us up, which I think he will)

To be honest it's the same with pochettino. Look what he did for Southampton. If you could guarantee he'd do the same for us then it would be crazy not to want him. But that's obviously no guarantee.

As for their not being much between the two sides next season? I think you're dreaming there pal.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â