The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Has someone rightly already pointed out, having a team of new players is reason enough in itself for us to get rid. 

We've got some expensive new thoroughbreds who are very nervy and in a new country, so let's fire the trainer who brung 'em and hire a PROVEN mediocrity. That should help them settle!

Sherwood didn't bring them in by himself there's other people in the process like Almstadt and Faulkner. And medicore, say Allardyce would be an improvement on Sherwood, it would certainly be less of a risk.

I got to be honest I am disappointed in some of our supporters and genuinely unsure of what they initially expected this season.

A couple of points really:

May 3rd - Aston Villa won't have to fight relegation under me again - Survival won't be a problem in the future

Sherwood agrees. 'I am allowed to sign whoever I want in the summer as long as I can justify it, but I believe even if we didn't make a signing we wouldn't be in this position again

May 30th - Tim Sherwood promises to get rid of the losing mentality at the club

September 26th - We need to stay in the division and if we do we will be stronger next year

"Our performances have merited better than one win in seven games but I said from the start it would be an uphill struggle. We need to stay in the division and if we do we will be stronger next year.

You asked what fans expect? I expect a manager to not insult the fan's intelligence with the above hypocrisy and nonsense. WHY is he talking about 'just staying up' and next season already!? He's basically writing the season after 6 games. Nice job of getting rid of that losing mentality Tim :thumb:

If you're going to talk so much shit, you NEED to back it up.

For me, we got a manager bounce under him last season. Now he's settled in, his tactical awareness (or lack thereof) is showing up massively. The man is just not capable.

To start to try to right many seasons of wrong Sherwood has bought in 12 players. Seven of them have never played in the Prem. It is therefore little surprise to me that it is taking time for things to  gel.

Contradicts his statement from last season though. Also in Lambert's first season, he had a far shitter squad and harder fixtures and did better. Look how that turned out.

For me, I'm nailing my colours to the mast. I never wanted him. I don't want him now and he's not going to turn it around. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Lambert and say 'give him time' before it's too late.

Quality post.....the man is an imposter, as i have said before he is a Charlie big spuds.

The Sky pundits panel awaits

Spot on Steve. In that interview he's said he knew it was going to be an uphill struggle "given the players we acquired" . You bought them Tim , you were allowed to get who you wanted. Look in the mirror you clearing in the woods

hes taking us down.

• Like 2

Board need to react asap. How much time he's had doesn't have much do with it, there are other things to take into consideration.

Er the amount of time is important...

It shouldn't be the deciding factor when considering whether he's sacked or not. Besides it's not as if he's just now walked through the door, he's had time.

Time? Last season he had Lambert's squad and turned us around and kept us up.

He's had very little time with is own players. 

What worries me about this sentence, is for the fact that the more time he had with "Lamberts" players the worse they became, he did have a fantastic short term effect, I am afraid that is all he has in his locker. Though hopefully I am wrong, as I would love for him to succeed.

Sherwood wears his heart on his sleeve: he's naive, inexperienced, overconfident. He's going to say things in the heat of the moment that can, and will be used against him when things go wrong. 

Lets back him and the team. I'm sick and tired of losing and being down at the bottom but we are only 7 games in and things can (and must, surely) change for the better. 

I will support him and the team all the negativity does not change anything. 

• Like 1

I still have faith we have good players, and they will come good, but we have to get something out of the difficult games coming up.r

We need to do better defensively. Four goals in last way games is good, but not if we don't get a point from them.

At least I was able to coach my kids teams to 1-0, and 2-0 wins, so my weekend wasn't completely spoiled. :)

I got to be honest I am disappointed in some of our supporters and genuinely unsure of what they initially expected this season.

A couple of points really:

May 3rd - Aston Villa won't have to fight relegation under me again - Survival won't be a problem in the future

Sherwood agrees. 'I am allowed to sign whoever I want in the summer as long as I can justify it, but I believe even if we didn't make a signing we wouldn't be in this position again

May 30th - Tim Sherwood promises to get rid of the losing mentality at the club

September 26th - We need to stay in the division and if we do we will be stronger next year

"Our performances have merited better than one win in seven games but I said from the start it would be an uphill struggle. We need to stay in the division and if we do we will be stronger next year.

You asked what fans expect? I expect a manager to not insult the fan's intelligence with the above hypocrisy and nonsense. WHY is he talking about 'just staying up' and next season already!? He's basically writing the season after 6 games. Nice job of getting rid of that losing mentality Tim :thumb:

If you're going to talk so much shit, you NEED to back it up.

For me, we got a manager bounce under him last season. Now he's settled in, his tactical awareness (or lack thereof) is showing up massively. The man is just not capable.

To start to try to right many seasons of wrong Sherwood has bought in 12 players. Seven of them have never played in the Prem. It is therefore little surprise to me that it is taking time for things to  gel.

Contradicts his statement from last season though. Also in Lambert's first season, he had a far shitter squad and harder fixtures and did better. Look how that turned out.

For me, I'm nailing my colours to the mast. I never wanted him. I don't want him now and he's not going to turn it around. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Lambert and say 'give him time' before it's too late.

Its all fair enough points mate. I am not one those merchants who will argue the toss and try to sway opinions that have already been made and as you have said you have already tied your colours to the mast then I'd just be pissing in the wind.

I have tied my colours to a different mast I guess. Sherwood, like many supporters,would never have been my first choice to replace Lambert, not even close, but we chose him so I backed him. I think given what he inherited he did an excellent job in keeping us up and we had the added bonus of a cup final. On top of that I think given he lost arguably the four best players he inherited and was given the money he generated and approx 8mill on top to rebuild a squad that wreaked of defeatism he has done very well. The squad he has assembled has a nice mix of experience and extremely talented players adjusting to this league but with great potential.

His only major failing so far for me is not getting a squad containing twelve new players, seven of which have never played in this league, to gel as a team inside 7 league games. That is the reality of it for me. I could be a complete tool and go back to the start of his time here and think I didn't want the cockney wide boy and the first chance I get I will jump on his back or I can take a step back and look at the reality of the situation which is 12 new players, a number of injuries already, 9 league and cup games, 3 wins, 1 draw,4 defeats.

Sack him no chance. I will be giving him and the squad he has assembled a fair crack of the whip before judging either.

Edited by markavfc40

I'm not going to call for Sherwood to be sacked yet. But I wish I could understand what he's trying to do here. Even taking into account all of the arguments about having to bed in a raft of new players, I can't see a good reason for making defensive substitutions in games we're losing, or for benching players who look like they might be starting to hit form in favour of players who continue to perform poorly. I can't see why we were set up today seemingly to sit back against a Liverpool team who have goals in them but can't defend. I can't understand how players who aren't quite up to speed in the prem yet are supposed to get up to speed unless they get experience in the prem. Is it helping Ayew's development to have him sitting on the bench? I can't understand why Sherwood doesn't react to tactical changes made by opposition managers, and why he waits until we've conceded to make changes when seemingly everyone watching can see that changes need making.

Some of these things can be mitigated by injuries, but there are certain choices Sherwood is making that are completely within his remit to do differently, and yet he persists with options that seem baffling to most of the fans here and to an increasingly large number of journalists and pundits. I'm happy to give him more time, but I'd rest a lot easier if I felt like I knew what he was doing - because then I'd be more convinced that he knew what he was doing.

• Like 1

Board need to react asap. How much time he's had doesn't have much do with it, there are other things to take into consideration.

Like what?

7 games into a season with new players isn't long enough

Has someone rightly already pointed out, having a team of new players is reason enough in itself for us to get rid. Whilst they're bedding in we need someone who knows what he's doing not someone who's learning the ropes, It's such a shame to have a signed all these exciting players but not have a decent manager to coach them.

this has to go down as one of the strangest reasons to sack a manager after 7 games who bought these players in, what did you honestly think should have happened in the summer if you believe this?? for him to sign nobody? Imagine if the board said to him at start of summer "if you dont have more than 4 points after the first 7 games with all these new signings, regardless if theyre injured or not, you're sacked". Our fan base would be hurling shit at fox/lerner if that was the case.

sorry mate but it isnt a reason itself for somebody to get sacked at this stage

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 2

Like what?

Has someone rightly already pointed out, having a team of new players is reason enough in itself for us to get rid. Whilst they're bedding in we need someone who knows what he's doing not someone who's learning the ropes, It's such a shame to have a signed all these exciting players but not have a decent manager to coach them.

this has to go down as one of the strangest reasons to sack a manager after 7 games who bought these players in, what did you honestly think should have happened in the summer?? Imagine if the board said to him at start of summer "if you dont have more than 4 points after the first 7 games with all these new signings, regardless if theyre injured or not, you're sacked". Our fan base would be hurling shit at fox/lerner if that was the case.

It's pivotal that with all the new players that we have, that we have someone to manage them who knows what he's doing, otherwise for me it's a missed opportunity. I would have replaced Sherwood at the end of last season myself, which may well have happened if we'd have been taken over.

Like what?

this has to go down as one of the strangest reasons to sack a manager after 7 games who bought these players in, what did you honestly think should have happened in the summer?? Imagine if the board said to him at start of summer "if you dont have more than 4 points after the first 7 games with all these new signings, regardless if theyre injured or not, you're sacked". Our fan base would be hurling shit at fox/lerner if that was the case.

It's pivotal that with all the new players that we have, that we have someone to manage them who knows what he's doing, otherwise for me it's a missed opportunity. I would have replaced Sherwood at the end of last season myself, which may well have happened if we'd have been taken over.

Has someone rightly already pointed out, having a team of new players is reason enough in itself for us to get rid. 

We've got some expensive new thoroughbreds who are very nervy and in a new country, so let's fire the trainer who brung 'em and hire a PROVEN mediocrity. That should help them settle!

Sherwood didn't bring them in by himself there's other people in the process like Almstadt and Faulkner. And medicore, say Allardyce would be an improvement on Sherwood, it would certainly be less of a risk.

Maybe you're right. Bromides are all I have: time will tell.

Are seriously talking about changing manager again??

Lets give him abit more time. I think he should be given to december at least

People are finding it hard to accept that AVFC was saved by the skin of its teeth last year and faces a long, uphill battle, that will be scraped and grinded out with no guarantees. Everyone wants the quick fix.

Dumping Tim is an immature response to our situation. 

cant disagree with that. We owe Tim as he saved us from oblivion 

He had better turn it around quickly.

He has spent three times as much per player as Lambert, and to his credit he has got good value. But as others have said, he has no track record. He has never even managed a team through a full season. If he isn't getting this squad to perform, he probably doesn't have what it takes. Giving the team time to gel is one thing, but his team selection and subs are baffling, such as not playing Carles Gil. If we only have one creative player on the pitch at a time it's going to be a lot easier to play against. Liverpool were there for the taking yesterday and we blew it IMO.

Â