The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

think Tim did OK with his tactics tonight but if any criticism he needs get players to be focused from the start. 2 games we made slow starts and only picked up in 2nd half

I can't quite work out if his approach tonight was almost genius or just a bit insane.

Whatever the tactics, we were just really poor in the final third for the most part. Shame really, UTD were distinctly average tonight and we could have got a result.

Loss win loss win loss win....I'll happily take that for the rest of the season.

Yes a lack of consistency but that sort of sequence will get us safe quickly. We've drawn far too many games over the last 20 years especially when trying to break into top 4 so good to have a manager who's allergic  to drawing games when you look at his record here so far and indeed at Spurs. 

• Like 1

think Tim did OK with his tactics tonight but if any criticism he needs get players to be focused from the start. 2 games we made slow starts and only picked up in 2nd half

I can't quite work out if his approach tonight was almost genius or just a bit insane.

Whatever the tactics, we were just really poor in the final third for the most part. Shame really, UTD were distinctly average tonight and we could have got a result.

Surely it was just our usual performance v this opposition, whoever the manager is and whatever tactics the club just has it in it's head it can't beat Man. United at home.

• Like 1

2nd game of the season against United, we were off the pace and they scored a goal out the blue.

The team need time to gel, Grealish and Traore to come in along with Gil and new signings.

The future is definatley bright.

UTV

thought we were going to get 0 points from first 2 games (or 1 max). Happy with 3. Cant really care about result/performance today (obviously different if you paid to watch it).

Edited by gharperr

Badly needs the likes of Grealish, Gill, Traore to give us options up front. The only issue I had tonight with his tactics was taking off Sinclair instead of Gabby or even Ayew. That said I am not certain that it would have made a huge amount of difference. We were really lacking someone who could add a spark in the final third.

After a four and half journey up to Brum, I was absolutely gutted coming home after thinking we could break our shameful 20+ year home record against these red ****s!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Tactically, he got it wrong yesterday. I've no idea why he thought that three up front, which was ultimately shit against Bournemouth would actually produce anything against a better side. Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work. 

Like the team, he's young and he's learning but as a manager, there's a lot less leeway than there is for a player. 

I think Tactics Tim turned up yesterday unfortunately. To be fair he was hampered by injuries and a few players not quite there yet, plus Utd are unbeatable for us. Hopefully Grealish, Gil and Traore are ready next week as we had no link between midfield and attack last night.

Tactically, he got it wrong yesterday. I've no idea why he thought that three up front, which was ultimately shit against Bournemouth would actually produce anything against a better side. Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work. 

Like the team, he's young and he's learning but as a manager, there's a lot less leeway than there is for a player. 

2 things stood out for me:

- Injuries to Gil and Grealish (Cole?) forced his hand a little with formation.

- Taking off Sinclair was a mistake. He and Amavi were starting to worry them - but with Ayew there the threat disappeared. Gabby should have been the one to give way.

Very positive views. I know its early, but we need to organise the strike force. Its no good saying when Gil an Grealish are back blah blah. If we can only relying on those 2 to create something, even in these early days, without goals we are gonna be fracked!

Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work.

Persevering? It's the second game of the season. Clearly weren't going to work? It's the second game of the season with a bunch of players who have not played together before.

I'll give them all a bit of leeway. We will see when Grealish, Gil and Traore are fit as well, which could be next week for all of them.

• Like 4

I felt we looked promising without looking dangerous, but a decent part of that was United defending well too. Smalling had Gestede in his pocket at the end of the game. United had basically one clear cut chance (that I can remember) so rather than freaking out about it all I feel it was just a tight game with United ultimately possessing a little extra class to shade it. That's not surprising considering the cost of their players. I don't think the front three were a problem. Sinclair especially looked good. Missing three players we're still light attacking wise so I'm not sure what people expected, and the front three did a lot of pressing, which was important.

Â