The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Bloke knows how to win games at this level....obviously the famous win ratio at Spurs but even here he mustn't be far off 50% win ratio in the league although maybe the cup wins have inflated that in my mind.

If we get anywhere near 50% this season we're going to have an unbelievable season close to the MON days.

So.... Sherwood. Here is the thing, I've never really liked him, there I said it.

I didn't want him when we appointed him, I thought it was a mistake, I thought he was a poor man's Arry. I thought if I'm honest he was a bit of a mouth on legs and not much else. Even over the end of last season I didn't really warm to him even with the turn around in results. Then this summer I expected, well I expected to be underwhelmed as we signed a load of Spurs or ex Spurs players.

Then the last few weeks happened, the background team he has put together, the players he has signed and shifted, the decisions he has made. The way he set his stall out with Benteke and Liverpool, the way he vanished and got on with what he needed to do post Delph and the way he has put the work in. Boy has he put the hours in this summer from what I hear.

Then you watch that interview, not the hardest of interviews granted, but I find it impossible to watch that interview and not be impressed. What is more I find it impossible to watch it and not like the guy or be extremely pleased he is in charge next season. You can really see why players will play for him and see what he is trying to build.

There is clearly a lot more to him than I gave him credit for and to me it seems like he has matured a lot very very quickly these last few months.

And I'm starting to really like him which I really didn't expect.

A decent start to the season and a couple more good additions to the squad and we are going to be unrecognisable from the club we've been for the last 5 years.

Told ya :P

crucially this was a game we would have probably lost last season especially way 1st half went. We went to teams in bottom 8 and didnt compete or pick up much except at Sunderland and draw at Burnley

A lot of people have said Timmy has a one-dimensional, up-and-at-'em approach but I thought today we were very measured, canny and watchful until he had seen the areas of potential weakness in Bournemouth's defence and changed the formation and personnel to exploit that, and Hey Presto!

My main worry about Tim was that he hadn't spent enough time, effort and money on strengthening the defence but I thought they looked pretty rock-solid most of the time today. Amavi is a real prospect, I think and I look forward to the Clark/Richardson partnership growing in strength and competence.

Still not convinced by Guzan though.

• Like 4

crucially this was a game we would have probably lost last season especially way 1st half went. We went to teams in bottom 8 and didnt compete or pick up much except at Sunderland and draw at Burnley

Maybe but today reminded me a bit of Stoke away last season, panned out a similar way although could be just the one that came into my memory as that was on the first day last year.

He reacted well and corrected his initial mistakes with the team selection. Did alright today. 

In fairness, there were no initial mistakes with team selection. Sherwood said in his interview that Gestede has a bit of catching up to do fitness wise and could not have played 90mins. The same could be said with Veretout. Richardson for Sinclair was just shoreing up the midfield as we tried to hold on to what we got.

I think most would agree that the starting line up was spot on, given that Gestede wouldn't last 90mins.

• Like 3

He reacted well and corrected his initial mistakes with the team selection. Did alright today.

In fairness, there were no initial mistakes with team selection. Sherwood said in his interview that Gestede has a bit of catching up to do fitness wise and could not have played 90mins. The same could be said with Veretout. Richardson for Sinclair was just shoreing up the midfield as we tried to hold on to what we got.

I think most would agree that the starting line up was spot on, given that Gestede wouldn't last 90mins.

Exactly. What made it a mistake?

Yeah, he said he set up to sit back a bit and absorb some pressure, take the sting out of the game - look to counter. Then he pushed on in the second half. Seems a good game plan that was executed well, especially considering all the new faces and the general lack of match fitness. Pretty pragmatic really and got the right result - which as others have pointed out, would probably have all gone to cock over the last few seasons.

I was sceptical of his appointment, but since he's arrived I've been incredibly impressed. From the passion and commitment he injected into a downtrodden squad heading for certain relegation, his tactics and motivation, to the way he's handled the Benteke transfer, and all this summers activities so far. He has handled himself very well at all levels. Let's not forget he is a young, inexperienced manager learning his trade. He doesn't come across like one though. He's ambitious and focussed, and IMO, is doing a great job. 

It's all a bit strange really - not used to this!

• Like 2

A lot of people have said Timmy has a one-dimensional, up-and-at-'em approach but I thought today we were very measured, canny and watchful until he had seen the areas of potential weakness in Bournemouth's defence and changed the formation and personnel to exploit that, and Hey Presto!

My main worry about Tim was that he hadn't spent enough time, effort and money on strengthening the defence but I thought they looked pretty rock-solid most of the time today. Amavi is a real prospect, I think and I look forward to the Clark/Richardson partnership growing in strength and competence.

Still not convinced by Guzan though.

Agree with the sentiment but he did pretty much win us the game today

Did anyone else think he looked ruggedly dashing in the August sun today?

It's that slim fit shirt.

Yeah, the unbuttoned, unkempt look like he's just finished a 9 to 5 shift and he's going to enjoy a drink in a nearby beer garden.

That and his stubble.

He's dreamy.

• Like 2

WTF is going on with these threads lately? Feel like I'm on a Brighton forum. Slim fit shirts, dreamy unkept look, GTFO ☺

Â