The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The pundits have no idea how Aston Villa will fair this season until they see us play.....just the same as we don't.

To keep falling on the side of negativity is poor journalism....Blimey, Torres,Carroll and Di Maria ( to name a few)for big money signings never turned out, how their clubs wanted them to.....so where is any guarantee.

I think it is best to take no notice....no one will talk about us in favoured light even if we signed a new team at 20 mill per player.

Bloody hell, take a chill pill. 

edit - @Stevo

I'm perfectly chilled. We were having a debate.

I'm still not really sure what we were debating, but there we go.

Bloody hell, take a chill pill.

edit - @Stevo

I'm perfectly chilled. We were having a debate.

I'm still not really sure what we were debating, but there we go.

It looked to me like DDID was taking issue with what you posted, much in the same way that you took issue with what Isa posted a page earlier. All pointless, but it doesn't stop it happening.

I always tend to take unbridged with somebody saying "IF so and so said this then so and so is a word removed (paraphrased!)" especially when so and so clearly didn't say such a thing. Maybe it was mentioned in passing, during a wider discussion, but the likelyhood of Sherwood sitting down and telling Benteke he's one dimensional is nil, isn't it? It's inflammatory, in my opinion.

It's pretty simple to me, what Benteke has said there is wholely unnecessary and frankly ungrateful. This football club made him, no matter how veiled the dig I find it incredibly galling.

**** him anyway. We're bigger than Christian Benteke and so is Tim Sherwood.

It's very premature to say that DDID - we'll know in about 5 games if he's doing a fantastic job or not.

after all this time the mystery of who gave Paul Lambert his new contract is resolved

So you've lept from that paraphrased statement to Sherwood called him one dimensional. Fair enough.

Do you *really* think that's how the conversation went? I mean really?

Again, I'm struggling to see the point you're trying to make. Are you worried about semantics?

He didn't use the words "one dimensional", but he described him as being a one dimensional striker (i.e. relying on crosses)

No, I don't think that's how the conversation went, which is why, again, I said "If what Benteke is saying is true". Again, I put it in bold specifically to avoid people pulling me up on the fact that it may not have happened and we're relying on the word of one person. Clearly it didn't work.

It seemed implied in your post that you genuinely thought such a conversation might actually have taken place in the way it has been presented by Benteke. Thanks for clearing out up for me.

If we are talking hypothetically, IF Sherwood dipped his cock in Benteke's mouth while he slept, I think that's well out of order and no wonder he wanted away.

Sherwood out...

Fooking hell! Sherwood even went to the length of a sleeping facial to try to keep him! Gotta love the effort our manager puts in.

Timmy for owner I say!

I've got no dislike for Benteke. I don't really care that it's Liverpool he's gone to although, I'd have preferred it if he had gone abroad. I remember that he's kept us in the league for 2 out of the last 3 seasons and because of his sale our manager has been able to build a replacement team because there was no other sellable asset going to help us achieve that.

I half understand why he was upset by Sherwood's comments. I too would have read that as "you're only any good if there's crosses going into the box". But, to be fair to Sherwood, he's probably only seen him score from crosses.

I suspect that Sherwood doesn't mind him leaving anyway. It's the only way he'd have had chance to build his own team.

All's fair in love and war!

• Like 1

Well it sets it all up beautifully for Liverpool fans to refer back to as evidence that they took a poorly coached gem from a crappy little backwater that thought all he could do was head the ball, and polished him into the multi-dimensional progressive striker that you will see him be at Anfield, already scoring 20 yard volleys (and which he was already bloody doing at Villa)...

Liverpool fans, so as to avoid re-writing history and admitting they were so far off the mark about his abilities, can just claim they were right about his time at Villa, but that they've turned him into exactly what they needed.  words removed.

TBH I f**king hate talking about him now.  I really f**king wish he hadn't gone there and I hope he's a disaster, but I know he won't be :(

how i feel about it all BOF, those **** don't even appreciate his talents but will no doubt exclaim Liverpool made him the player he is. if he's a raving success.

I'm caught in two minds as to if i want him to be a bumbling Andy Carroll type of a mess or a success that the lad actually deserves for the effort he put in most of his time with us.

I am maybe being harsh but I think Lambert was in it more for the money than anything else. Either that or he totally underestimated the task at hand. The move was career suicide as a manager but financially he is set for life.

I think that's a load of nonsense.

Paul Lambert had taken Norwich as far as he could imo, certainly when you're thinking of them finishing 11th under him in the prem, they weren't going to improve on that.

He probably thought I might get found out second season (as he did here) and that would've meant relegation and no prem club being interested in him like no club has been in for Sean Dyche despite him doing an excellent job at Burnley.

It was worth the risk him moving here even with the budget restrictions. Nice wage increase as we do like to reward our managers generously and if he'd done well here it's possible teams like Everton would've been in so moving up the managerial wall.

But he failed so will have to start again in the championship.

So.... Sherwood. Here is the thing, I've never really liked him, there I said it.

I didn't want him when we appointed him, I thought it was a mistake, I thought he was a poor man's Arry. I thought if I'm honest he was a bit of a mouth on legs and not much else. Even over the end of last season I didn't really warm to him even with the turn around in results. Then this summer I expected, well I expected to be underwhelmed as we signed a load of Spurs or ex Spurs players.

Then the last few weeks happened, the background team he has put together, the players he has signed and shifted, the decisions he has made. The way he set his stall out with Benteke and Liverpool, the way he vanished and got on with what he needed to do post Delph and the way he has put the work in. Boy has he put the hours in this summer from what I hear.

Then you watch that interview, not the hardest of interviews granted, but I find it impossible to watch that interview and not be impressed. What is more I find it impossible to watch it and not like the guy or be extremely pleased he is in charge next season. You can really see why players will play for him and see what he is trying to build.

There is clearly a lot more to him than I gave him credit for and to me it seems like he has matured a lot very very quickly these last few months.

And I'm starting to really like him which I really didn't expect.

A decent start to the season and a couple more good additions to the squad and we are going to be unrecognisable from the club we've been for the last 5 years.

Sums my thoughts up too, well pretty much.

I still think he is a bit of a cock, but I keep warming to him. I still have concerns about tactics, but it's way too early for me to judge that - and with so many new players, I won't judge till the end of the season.

(If I do say 'that was poor tactically' during the season. That'll be an opinion, not a final judgement!) :)

Good post mate. UTV!

I always tend to take unbridged with somebody saying "IF so and so said this then so and so is a word removed (paraphrased!)" especially when so and so clearly didn't say such a thing. Maybe it was mentioned in passing, during a wider discussion, but the likelyhood of Sherwood sitting down and telling Benteke he's one dimensional is nil, isn't it? It's inflammatory, in my opinion.

I don't think he sat down and said "Christian, good morning. I have something to tell you. You are a one dimensional footballer"

But from what Christian is saying, they had a discussion, the gist of which was Sherwood telling him not to move to Anfield because he's a striker that relies on crosses and they don't cross it into the box.

That, to me, is telling Benteke he is one dimensional. Directly, or indirectly, that's the message.

So I'd agree with you saying this is all hypothetical, if it was just a rumour. But there are direct quotes there from Benteke saying that Sherwood told him that. I think it's been hyped up by the media. I don't think Benteke was saying it to have a go at Sherwood, I think he was just asked about it and replied to the question. All he's saying is that's what Sherwood said but he thinks he can adapt his game to suit Liverpool.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I don't think it's exactly unbelievable.

So IF what Benteke said is true (and that's not the same as "if what the daily mail are reporting is true" or "if what his agent is saying is true". It's a direct quote from the player) then my opinion is I understand that Sherwood was probably trying to deter Benteke from moving to Anfield, but I don't think telling him he's one dimensional (again, not using those exact two words!) was a very clever thing to do.

There's a clear difference between that, and what Isa said, and your analogy about hypothetical cock dippings. Benteke doesn't say he would have scored the goals he scored without Sherwood (which is what Isa said he was saying). He acknowledges that Sherwood "helped him a lot", but is just saying he felt he was returning to form from injury anyway so deserves some credit himself.

Benteke DOES specifically say that he had a conversation with Sherwood, the result of which was Sherwood telling him he could only play in a team that crosses the ball.

That's the difference. My comment was about something Benteke has actually said. Isa's was about something he'd (wrongly, imo) inferred.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

So.... Sherwood. Here is the thing, I've never really liked him, there I said it.

I didn't want him when we appointed him, I thought it was a mistake, I thought he was a poor man's Arry. I thought if I'm honest he was a bit of a mouth on legs and not much else. Even over the end of last season I didn't really warm to him even with the turn around in results. Then this summer I expected, well I expected to be underwhelmed as we signed a load of Spurs or ex Spurs players.

Then the last few weeks happened, the background team he has put together, the players he has signed and shifted, the decisions he has made. The way he set his stall out with Benteke and Liverpool, the way he vanished and got on with what he needed to do post Delph and the way he has put the work in. Boy has he put the hours in this summer from what I hear.

Then you watch that interview, not the hardest of interviews granted, but I find it impossible to watch that interview and not be impressed. What is more I find it impossible to watch it and not like the guy or be extremely pleased he is in charge next season. You can really see why players will play for him and see what he is trying to build.

There is clearly a lot more to him than I gave him credit for and to me it seems like he has matured a lot very very quickly these last few months.

And I'm starting to really like him which I really didn't expect.

A decent start to the season and a couple more good additions to the squad and we are going to be unrecognisable from the club we've been for the last 5 years.

Sums my thoughts up too, well pretty much.

I still think he is a bit of a cock, but I keep warming to him. I still have concerns about tactics, but it's way too early for me to judge that - and with so many new players, I won't judge till the end of the season.

(If I do say 'that was poor tactically' during the season. That'll be an opinion, not a final judgement!) :)

Good post mate. UTV!

I think he's impressing even the people who wanted him here. He's desire and enthusiasm must be infectious and the best thing about that interview is how disappointed he is in in what happened at the final. I know the players won't be the same but it sets out the right message just getting to finals won't be enough!! I think we are in for another roller coaster to start with this season but by Xmas I expect us to kicking on properly. Can't wait.

• Like 1

I don't think he sat down and said "Christian, good morning. I have something to tell you. You are a one dimensional footballer"

But from what Christian is saying, they had a discussion, the gist of which was Sherwood telling him not to move to Anfield because he's a striker that relies on crosses and they don't cross it into the box.

That, to me, is telling Benteke he is one dimensional. Directly, or indirectly, that's the message.

So I'd agree with you saying this is all hypothetical, if it was just a rumour. But there are direct quotes there from Benteke saying that Sherwood told him that. I think it's been hyped up by the media. I don't think Benteke was saying it to have a go at Sherwood, I think he was just asked about it and replied to the question. All he's saying is that's what Sherwood said but he thinks he can adapt his game to suit Liverpool.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I don't think it's exactly unbelievable.

So IF what Benteke said is true (and that's not the same as "if what the daily mail are reporting is true" or "if what his agent is saying is true". It's a direct quote from the player) then my opinion is I understand that Sherwood was probably trying to deter Benteke from moving to Anfield, but I don't think telling him he's one dimensional (again, not using those exact two words!) was a very clever thing to do.

There's a clear difference between that, and what Isa said, and your analogy about hypothetical cock dippings. Benteke doesn't say he would have scored the goals he scored without Sherwood (which is what Isa said he was saying). He acknowledges that Sherwood "helped him a lot", but is just saying he felt he was returning to form from injury anyway so deserves some credit himself.

Benteke DOES specifically say that he had a conversation with Sherwood, the result of which was Sherwood telling him he could only play in a team that crosses the ball.

That's the difference. My comment was about something Benteke has actually said. Isa's was about something he'd (wrongly, imo) inferred.

Sherwood was trying to convince Benteke to stay so was probably saying anything he could to put doubt in his mind. Who cares though really?

• Like 1

Â