The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Something is terribly wrong.

I enjoyed the weekend, I've enjoyed the humour in the last few pages, I've enjoyed the training video, we seem to suddenly have an owner and some management at that level, and I can't wait for Saturday !!

I had genuinely forgotten what this feels like

I've not been excited to watch us since the start of last season. 18 months is a long time to not enjoy supporting your football club.

It may sound like a complete overreaction but it feels like I've got the club back. I've been watching YouTube clips of past glory, I've watched match of the day 2 highlights and analysis about 5 times and I've watched his press conference a few times. I can't get enough right now and I can't wait for Saturday to come round.

This 100% I'd reached my point with Lambert, I just wasn't enjoying being a Villa fan anymore, don't get me wrong I know we've got no divine rite to win every game, all I ask is we have a go, I'd take losing 4-0 now and again as long as we never park the bus.

• Like 1

Get 2 or 3 goals on Saturday and give us something to be positive about for once, my weekends have been ruined for far too long following another embarrassing performance, restore some pride into this side on Saturday Tim and prove me and many more wrong that you can in fact keep us up, I'm looking forward to the weekend for a change, UTV

come on give him a chance, we have 1 goal in about 10 league games and you want 2 or 3. He isnt a miracle worker ;)

In all seriousness you've hit on a fair point - can he turn a non scoring, no clean sheet keeping team - into a 2 goal game team, whilst keeping it tight at the back .....thats some tall order for any manager, let alone a rookie like sherwood .....

• Like 1

Well, this is the first time since 2002 that we've changed manager mid-season. Lambert and Sherwood are also polar opposites in terms of personality.

Even that was a resignation wasn't it?

We've not sacked a manager mid season since big ron if I'm not mistaken (although I could well be)

Well, this is the first time since 2002 that we've changed manager mid-season. Lambert and Sherwood are also polar opposites in terms of personality.

We've not sacked a manager mid season since big ron if I'm not mistaken (although I could well be)

Brian Little though not "sacked" may as well have been. Same for Gregory IIRC.

But yeah...

I went on Sunday. I got home and watched the game AGAIN. Not just the highlights, the entire thing. I've not done that in a very long time.

• Like 1

Brian Little though not "sacked" may as well have been. Same for Gregory IIRC.

But yeah...

I went on Sunday. I got home and watched the game AGAIN. Not just the highlights, the entire thing. I've not done that in a very long time.

I went on Sunday....haven't done that for a long time.

• Like 1

All he has to do is lose to Stoke, and the whole tenor of this thread will shift profoundly, right?

I want to believe in the magic of his Half-Time FA Cup team talk, I really do, but a sober part of me knows that Sherwood's success or failure will be built on a more complicated set of actions.

If a few well-chosen words were all that were necessary, they could be carved on stone and mounted on the locker room doors, but such talks are always context-specfic, too. Sherwood pressed the right buttons at the right time and place. This weekend, the buttons will all be in different places! His ability to find them, week after week -- and install some new ones -- will be the true measure of his talent.

• Like 4

A not very flattering opinion of Sherwood from a spurs fan.

Look at what Pochettino's done since he arrived. He's given the players a chance and those who haven't cut it haven't been castigated or ostracised. They've been kept in the loop. Not everyone gets to play but everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. That's what good managers do. Even if you don't like a player, it pays to treat them with respect. Not only because its the right thing to do but also because its the smart thing to do. You're never going to achieve anything if you have an unhappy the squad.

Sherwood pissed everyone off. Everyone at the club was glad to see the back of him. Even the board - the people who had hired him! - released a statement where they could barely disguise their contempt towards him.

And Sandro wasnt castigated. Sherwood left him out of the team and, knowing that he was a fan's favourite lied about the reasons behind his absence. Said he was injured. Sandro simply put the record straight by denying that he was injured. It really shows just how Sherwood's attitude during his very brief stint had alienated a good portion of the squad. By then end players were publicly contradicting him. How this guy is now being painted as a leader of men is beyond me. He was completely out of his depth at Spurs.

Sandro was an exemplary professional throughout his time at Spurs and was an excellent midfielder for us. A team player, popular with the squad, engaged with the fans in a positive manner and never caused any trouble either under Redknapp (who happily signed him at QPR despite injury concerns) or AVB (who wanted to sign him for Zenit). [pls, give me one example when either Redknapp or AVB complained about Sandro's attitude]. Fans still talk about his performances in the Champions league and the partnership he had with Dembele in AVB's first season.

The fact that you (and others) can be so dismissive of a player who greatly contributed to the club's history in recent times because of a fall-out with Sherwood (who contributed nothing to Spurs over the years other than screwing over a true legend like Hoddle) just shows how fickle fans can be.

And your point about the media dictating appointments is stupid - I think Villa will have been much more interested in his work with the Tottenham youth team than the half a season he got in charge, which if you'll remember he didn't actually do that bad in....

No, I really dont think Villa did any research other tha reading platitudes written by the mainstream media about Sherwood.

Sherwood was supposed to be technical co-ordinator at Spurs. His role was to send players out on loan and ensure that the the youth teams played in accordance with the same philosophy (4-3-3-, passing football). He didn't do any coaching, so there's nothing to judge him by. Chris Ramsay was the U21s coach (and then the first team coach) and is now manager at QPR. Alex Inglethorpe was widely credited as having played the biggest role in the youth coaching set up and was snapped up by Liverpool as soon as he became available.

What's his scouting record? Non-existent. None of the youth players currently making their way up to the first team were recruited by Sherwood. His major achievement was to tell the club that Suarez was overrated and not cut out for the premiership.

Even the argument that he may have done well in this supervisory role doesnt really stand up to scrutiny, because his stint as interim manager proved that he had no attachment in the type of football that was being in the youth set up. First thing he did when he took over was switch to a 4-4-2 and instruct players to lump it up to Adebayor. The fact that he opted for a change of tactics and philosophy suggests that his role in development was pretty limited.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/feb/17/tim-sherwood-manager-aston-villa-turn-things-around

All he has to do is lose to Stoke, and the whole tenor of this thread will shift profoundly, right?

I want to believe in the magic of his Half-Time FA Cup team talk, I really do, but a sober part of me knows that Sherwood's success or failure will be built on a more complicated set of actions.

If a few well-chosen words were all that were necessary, they could be carved on stone and mounted on the locker room doors, but such talks are always context-specfic, too. Sherwood pressed the right buttons at the right time and place. This weekend, the buttons will all be in different places! His ability to find them, week after week -- and install some new ones -- will be the true measure of his talent.

Great post.

Our goal scoring stats and clean sheet stats are woeful - much respect will be due if Sherwood can turn that around.

• Like 1

Look at what Pochettino's done since he arrived. He's given the players a chance and those who haven't cut it haven't been castigated or ostracised. They've been kept in the loop. Not everyone gets to play but everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. That's what good managers do. Even if you don't like a player, it pays to treat them with respect. Not only because its the right thing to do but also because its the smart thing to do. You're never going to achieve anything if you have an unhappy the squad.

Sherwood pissed everyone off. Everyone at the club was glad to see the back of him. Even the board - the people who had hired him! - released a statement where they could barely disguise their contempt towards him.

And Sandro wasnt castigated. Sherwood left him out of the team and, knowing that he was a fan's favourite lied about the reasons behind his absence. Said he was injured. Sandro simply put the record straight by denying that he was injured. It really shows just how Sherwood's attitude during his very brief stint had alienated a good portion of the squad. By then end players were publicly contradicting him. How this guy is now being painted as a leader of men is beyond me. He was completely out of his depth at Spurs.

Sandro was an exemplary professional throughout his time at Spurs and was an excellent midfielder for us. A team player, popular with the squad, engaged with the fans in a positive manner and never caused any trouble either under Redknapp (who happily signed him at QPR despite injury concerns) or AVB (who wanted to sign him for Zenit). [pls, give me one example when either Redknapp or AVB complained about Sandro's attitude]. Fans still talk about his performances in the Champions league and the partnership he had with Dembele in AVB's first season.

The fact that you (and others) can be so dismissive of a player who greatly contributed to the club's history in recent times because of a fall-out with Sherwood (who contributed nothing to Spurs over the years other than screwing over a true legend like Hoddle) just shows how fickle fans can be.

And your point about the media dictating appointments is stupid - I think Villa will have been much more interested in his work with the Tottenham youth team than the half a season he got in charge, which if you'll remember he didn't actually do that bad in....

No, I really dont think Villa did any research other tha reading platitudes written by the mainstream media about Sherwood.

Sherwood was supposed to be technical co-ordinator at Spurs. His role was to send players out on loan and ensure that the the youth teams played in accordance with the same philosophy (4-3-3-, passing football). He didn't do any coaching, so there's nothing to judge him by. Chris Ramsay was the U21s coach (and then the first team coach) and is now manager at QPR. Alex Inglethorpe was widely credited as having played the biggest role in the youth coaching set up and was snapped up by Liverpool as soon as he became available.

What's his scouting record? Non-existent. None of the youth players currently making their way up to the first team were recruited by Sherwood. His major achievement was to tell the club that Suarez was overrated and not cut out for the premiership.

Even the argument that he may have done well in this supervisory role doesnt really stand up to scrutiny, because his stint as interim manager proved that he had no attachment in the type of football that was being in the youth set up. First thing he did when he took over was switch to a 4-4-2 and instruct players to lump it up to Adebayor. The fact that he opted for a change of tactics and philosophy suggests that his role in development was pretty limited.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/feb/17/tim-sherwood-manager-aston-villa-turn-things-around

Someone really likes Sandro. I take opinions of all spurs fans with a pinch of salt, as my spurs fan mate thinks they have been title contenders for the past decade.

Also the whole Sandro being injured thing was to keep it out of the press that he wasnt cutting it in training. ....when his tweet was bought to Sherwoods attention he set the record straight and said he will be in the team when he shows he is worthy of a place. I have no issue with that. To me it seems that he tries to make the players feel it is a privilege to play for the club, you cant expect to put half a shift in in training and walk into the first 11.

• Like 1

And yet, Pochettino's Tottenham are lower in the league and have less points than this time last season.

Sherwood has managed a grand total of 28 games in his career, I don't think that's quite enough for even Tottenham's fans to judge him properly.

• Like 1

Pretty good character assassination !!

Without a manager a week ago - we need someone quickly who would increase our chances of staying up [we should have acted much soon is another story] - its all very pointing out his shortcomings - we just didn't have time to get someone from another club.

If we can win 4 draw a couple that should be enough to drag us over the line - Im not looking beyond that (ok FA Cup would be nice !) 

Unlikely as it seems lets just hope we get sold in the summer - and start to build our great up again...

who is this someone from another club that was so nailed on?

No one in particular - I just mean't we couldn't get into protracted 3 week negotiations for example.....for where we found ourselves Sherwood was a reasonable choice .... 

Â