Carles Gil

bose

The new Jean Maukon?

The difference would be Gil was actually good when he played.

Trouble is, the only time he tried to play the sort of football Sherwood prefers, he was not very good at it

You mean 50 minutes of one game?

Everyone was crap in that game, Gil certainly wasn't the worst. 

I'm sure there's a valid reason for Gil being out. I don't think it's some mental conspiracy theory or anything. I think Sherwood just doesn't fancy him for whatever reason and that's fine, as long as we're doing well we can't complain.

But don't try and sell the line that it's because Gil wasn't very good when he played under Sherwood, because if that was the case then the whole first XI would have been dropped after the Stoke game and none of them would have played since.

• Like 2

People are complaining about it?

news to me.

The only people complaining are those moaning about people talking about Carles Gil in the Carles Gil thread on Villa Talk.

• Like 2

I don't care why he isn't in if I'm honest.  He could be playing like Thora Hird in concrete boots in training, or he could running around the entire defence and scoring hat tricks for fun.  All I know is that the team is playing brilliantly without him, so however good he is or isn't, there's nothing I'd change right now.  Maybe a full pre-season will sort him out, or maybe he'll be sold.  I don't care either way right now.

• Like 3

don't try and sell the line that it's because Gil wasn't very good when he played under Sherwood,

I'm not trying to "sell" any line really, just trying to provide some perspective to the constant refrain on here that Gil was our best player under Lambert, saviour of the team, etc.

He may have looked good but unfortunately it was amongst a demoralised and directionless team playing absolutely dire football and heading for the premier league exit door. Maybe Harry Redknapp's missus would have looked good in that shower. For the record, Gil's transformational effect on the team was to help us to a league sequence of 0-2,0-5,1-2, 0-2, 1-2.

Sherwood is trying to get the team to play an entirely different form of progressive, attacking football, instilling the team with the will and belief to win matches and Gil hasn't cut it in that format yet.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

But I would be pretty sure that Sherwood has a more serious reason for excluding him from the team than just not fancying him, as you are suggesting.

I agree with all of that post.

What I was disputing was that Sherwood's judgement and subsequent exclusion of Gil from the team was based off one 50 minute spell in a game where everyone played poorly, which is what your previous post implied.

Edited by Stevo985

Do we know when Valencia's buyback option expires? If it expires at the end of this season, is it not plausible that Tim sees how talented Carles is yet is confident that he didn't need him this season to stay up therefore has "hidden" him to 1) help him integrate into English football/society and 2) protect him from being bought back by Valencia?

Edited by a-k

Highly doubt that Sherwood is trying to "protect" Gil from any bids, it wouldn't really make sense. Also, if you're Valencia, why have a buy back clause that lasts 6 months?

If I were to take a guess at why he's not playing, I'd say it's because he's still learning English. Having watched some of the Semi-Final videos, Gil looks really out of place and doesn't seem to fit in, an obvious factor for that could be not having a f'in clue what anyone around you is saying and still settling into his new home/area. Maybe Sherwood just thinks that in a relegation battle you need the whole team to pull together and fight for one another, and that at the moment whilst he's still settling in, Gil just isn't right for that currently, especially when you see how awkward and out of place he was in the celebration photos/videos.

Plus, we're playing well currently, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Playing Gil might upset the balance, he might make us 10x better, but it's a risk that probably just isn't worth it right now whilst we're getting results.

I'm sure Gil will play more next season, when there's less pressure and European games in mid-week to worry about ;)

• Like 1

don't try and sell the line that it's because Gil wasn't very good when he played under Sherwood,

I'm not trying to "sell" any line really, just trying to provide some perspective to the constant refrain on here that Gil was our best player under Lambert, saviour of the team, etc.

He may have looked good but unfortunately it was amongst a demoralised and directionless team playing absolutely dire football and heading for the premier league exit door. Maybe Harry Redknapp's missus would have looked good in that shower. For the record, Gil's transformational effect on the team was to help us to a league sequence of 0-2,0-5,1-2, 0-2, 1-2.

Sherwood is trying to get the team to play an entirely different form of progressive, attacking football, instilling the team with the will and belief to win matches and Gil hasn't cut it in that format yet.

But I would be pretty sure that Sherwood has a more serious reason for excluding him from the team than just not fancying him, as you are suggesting.

He didn't look good because the other players were dire, he looked good because he was running past players, making good passes, creating a goal that had been missing for god knows how long and scoring a brilliant goal in the cup (yes, it was against Bournemouth, but he still managed to put it in the top corner, I'm not sure many other Villa players would've managed that).

His contribution to that run of games was exactly the same as every other player's who played in those games, but as you say, he looked better than everyone else, so I assume that by that logic every other player should've been dropped?

Yes, we lost all of those games - are you suggesting that since we haven't won any games through his efforts he isn't good enough? Or that he is to blame for those defeats?

Unless the previous two are the case, I really don't see what your point is. Let's not pretend he isn't good enough, there must obviously be another explanaiton.

• Like 1

Highly doubt that Sherwood is trying to "protect" Gil from any bids, it wouldn't really make sense. Also, if you're Valencia, why have a buy back clause that lasts 6 months?

If I were to take a guess at why he's not playing, I'd say it's because he's still learning English. Having watched some of the Semi-Final videos, Gil looks really out of place and doesn't seem to fit in, an obvious factor for that could be not having a f'in clue what anyone around you is saying and still settling into his new home/area. Maybe Sherwood just thinks that in a relegation battle you need the whole team to pull together and fight for one another, and that at the moment whilst he's still settling in, Gil just isn't right for that currently, especially when you see how awkward and out of place he was in the celebration photos/videos.

Plus, we're playing well currently, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Playing Gil might upset the balance, he might make us 10x better, but it's a risk that probably just isn't worth it right now whilst we're getting results.

I'm sure Gil will play more next season, when there's less pressure and European games in mid-week to worry about ;)

I'd like to know if Sanchez's English is significantly better than Gil's

I'd like to know if Sanchez's English is significantly better than Gil's

Probably not too much better, but he would have had an extra 6 months to learn and would have a better chemistry with the team than Gil has. Again using the SF as an example but, Sanchez was joining in with the celebrations a lot more than Gil was, he's obviously more settled with the rest of the squad.

He didn't look good because the other players were dire, he looked good because he was running past players, making good passes, creating a goal that had been missing for god knows how long and scoring a brilliant goal in the cup (yes, it was against Bournemouth, but he still managed to put it in the top corner, I'm not sure many other Villa players would've managed that).

His contribution to that run of games was exactly the same as every other player's who played in those games, but as you say, he looked better than everyone else, so I assume that by that logic every other player should've been dropped?

Yes, we lost all of those games - are you suggesting that since we haven't won any games through his efforts he isn't good enough? Or that he is to blame for those defeats?

Unless the previous two are the case, I really don't see what your point is. Let's not pretend he isn't good enough, there must obviously be another explanaiton.

Jeez, is this just going to go on and on for ever?

None of the arguments you attribute to me have ever actually been made by me.

The very simple point I am making is that past form counts for nothing - what matters is how Gil is responding to the demands of the new manager.

He clearly isn't cutting it and there is really nothing more to be said.

(I hope.)

Edited by briny_ear

It's just strange that the player who was the shining light in our team in the last few weeks of Lambert, and who showed plenty of ability, is suddenly nowhere to be seen.

Obviously Sherwood doesn't want him in the side for whatever reason, and i'm certainly not going to argue, but it will be interesting to see where this ends up.

Â