New manager

reykjavik

Pat Murphy on 5 live

"The new Aston Villa manager will be recommended by the chief executive Tom Fox, with the owner Randy Lerner prepared to rubberstamp his decision. Lerner will not be part of the interview process.

"Lerner operates out of New York and is hardly ever in Birmingham, as he comes to rely more and more on the advice of his fellow-American whom he appointed as CEO last September. It was Fox who recommended Lambert should be sacked after Tuesday night's defeat at Hull.

"Fox will take soundings from Villa's director of recruitment Paddy Reilly and an inner circle of trusted colleagues before moving in on a target. Coaching expertise will be essential - Villa were short in that area during Lambert's tenure - and they won't be put off if their preferred candidate is with another club.

"Although time is on Villa's side in that their next Premier League game is not until a week on Saturday when they are at home to Stoke City, Fox will want a swift appointment."

Think that rules out sherwood, Eddie Howe etc. screams someone like mclaren to me going off this

Its obviously going to be a TF appointment   - To be fair to lerner he has never claimed to be knowledgable about football. And always sought to buy in expertise. I don't share others confidence in TF - he strikes me as a bit of a buffoon - But he wanted to be be Villa CEO so must have known he would someday have to hire and fire managers  - I think he will have a good idea who he wants - but doubt its in the back - I think someone with London links is a strong possibility...

Who gives a shit who the manager is? 3 managers in a row has failed, and the last one was the one who got least money and the one we should not have let go. Making him sign washed up players on free (Cole-injury prone, Richardson-unspectacular in a relegated team, Senderos-free because he was not good enough), buy players from struggling clubs (Sanchez + Gil last played regularly for Elche), and loan bench warmers from other clubs (Cleverely-was not first option at all united, Sinclair-the same + out of form). He wanted a striker, but had no money to get one that he believed would take to the premier league in an instant. None of the players he signed were good enough for a top team. That put Villa the same position as the bottom 10 clubs, where luck with injuries, not meeting top 7 teams 7 games in a row (here was the turning point for Lambert this season), and whether players bought are instant hits deciding whether you get 11th or 20th spot.

How this team was supposed to be better than last season baffles me when you also take into account injuries (short and long) to all the key players (Vlaar, Benteke and Delph because Villa is so shit that we have no more then three key). Buying cheap is a long term plan that has a 90% chance of failing. Too bad it was what Lambert was forced to do. Last summer he was screwed by Lerner. He was supposed to get a significant war chest, instead he got peanuts and when Lerner finally opened his Aston Villa wallet, it was too little cash in it.

A warning to whoever is the new manager: if we stay up, and you can't trick a few more quid of Lerner than Lambert managed, you will face a relegation battle next season. Good luck. You are doomed.

Thing is - it wasn't the finicial constraints what did him.

Yes it was. I think a top goals scoring striker was a top priority in the summer, along with a central midfielder that was not Cleverley. Where do you get a good enough striker for a pund and a half. He could not afford the players he wanted and had to take a chance on Bent. Even Tadic was out of reach economically last January, and we all agree that he is better than each one in the Villa midfield and would improve the team, not just make the team stand still.

Edited by momo

Ján Kozák senior, found and raised Matič, found and raised Duda, saved several times, several teams from relagation on zero budget just on youth, great tactician, there are only two problems: he is currently manager of Slovak National team sitting first up front of Spain and Ukraine in EURO 2016 and does not speak English as far as I know.

But he never failed/fails. Cheap option.

Anything like Jo Venglos?

No way in terms of management style. Kozak is straightforward as hell, brilliant motivator and tactician, there are only few better managers across Europe in pre-match preparation. Mopped the floor with Spain and Ukraine in EURO qualifications recently by reviving Škrtel´s and Hamšík´s careers back on track, and has a huge influence on Stoch and Weiss international performances. Plays counter-attacking direct football starting from 2 DMs via wingers and AMC as a focal point of attack + likes big strong target man. Villa would be ideal, but as I have mentioned - I think, that he does not speak English well on managerial level.

• Like 1

Pat Murphy on 5 live

"The new Aston Villa manager will be recommended by the chief executive Tom Fox, with the owner Randy Lerner prepared to rubberstamp his decision. Lerner will not be part of the interview process.

"Lerner operates out of New York and is hardly ever in Birmingham, as he comes to rely more and more on the advice of his fellow-American whom he appointed as CEO last September. It was Fox who recommended Lambert should be sacked after Tuesday night's defeat at Hull.

"Fox will take soundings from Villa's director of recruitment Paddy Reilly and an inner circle of trusted colleagues before moving in on a target. Coaching expertise will be essential - Villa were short in that area during Lambert's tenure - and they won't be put off if their preferred candidate is with another club.

"Although time is on Villa's side in that their next Premier League game is not until a week on Saturday when they are at home to Stoke City, Fox will want a swift appointment."

Think that rules out sherwood, Eddie Howe etc. screams someone like mclaren to me going off this

Yep - I also think Curbishley ticks a lot of boxes - was close to the job before - but Lerner liked Houllier

I sometimes wondered if our attempt at a more passing game was down to Fox and in a few of the videos I've seen of him he's usually stated that attractive football is important. So wouldn't be surprised if this played a part in who he goes for.

• Like 1

Ján Kozák senior, found and raised Matič, found and raised Duda, saved several times, several teams from relagation on zero budget just on youth, great tactician, there are only two problems: he is currently manager of Slovak National team sitting first up front of Spain and Ukraine in EURO 2016 and does not speak English as far as I know.

But he never failed/fails. Cheap option.

Ciaran Clark would probably break his two legs in the first training session.

No blood relation with Libor Kozák (Libor is Czech) :) but I have got it.

so Sherwood at Spurs, made Adebeyor a decent scoring striker, made Mason, Kane and few other youngsters successfull first team members

No he didn't.

Yes he did

ooh i do love Pantomime

he's behind you!

Kane made 6 appearances last season. Sherwood gave him his debut, but to claim he made him a successful player is debateable.

Mason made his league debut this season, and prior to that had made 1 or 2 appearances in cup competitions, so you've totally made that one up I'm afraid.

yes it's ok I get it, you don't like Sherwood

No I don't.

But that doesn't have any bearing to these posts.

You posted false information. I was just correcting you.

Who gives a shit who the manager is? 3 managers in a row has failed, and the last one was the one who got least money and the one we should not have let go. Making him sign washed up players on free (Cole-injury prone, Richardson-unspectacular in a relegated team, Senderos-free because he was not good enough), buy players from struggling clubs (Sanchez + Gil last played regularly for Elche), and loan bench warmers from other clubs (Cleverely-was not first option at all united, Sinclair-the same + out of form). He wanted a striker, but had no money to get one that he believed would take to the premier league in an instant. None of the players he signed were good enough for a top team. That put Villa the same position as the bottom 10 clubs, where luck with injuries, not meeting top 7 teams 7 games in a row (here was the turning point for Lambert this season), and whether players bought are instant hits deciding whether you get 11th or 20th spot.

How this team was supposed to be better than last season baffles me when you also take into account injuries (short and long) to all the key players (Vlaar, Benteke and Delph because Villa is so shit that we have no more then three key). Buying cheap is a long term plan that has a 90% chance of failing. Too bad it was what Lambert was forced to do. Last summer he was screwed by Lerner. He was supposed to get a significant war chest, instead he got peanuts and when Lerner finally opened his Aston Villa wallet, it was too little cash in it.

A warning to whoever is the new manager: if we stay up, and you can't trick a few more quid of Lerner than Lambert managed, you will face a relegation battle next season. Good luck. You are doomed.

Thing is - it wasn't the finicial constraints what did him.

Yes it was. I think a top goals scoring striker was a top priority in the summer, along with a central midfielder that was not Cleverley. Where do you get a good enough striker for a pund and a half. He could not afford the players he wanted and had to take a chance on Bent. Even Tadic was out of reach economically last January, and we all agree that he is better than each one in the Villa midfield and would improve the team, not just make the team stand still.

If he hadn't wasted money (transfer fees and wages) on the likes of Bowery, Bennett, Luna, Tonev, Cole, Lowton, KEA, Bacuna, Sylla and Cleverley he'd have had the money to buy a striker.  He failed because he was a disasterously bad coach, not because the money he had wasn't enough.  Yes, he didn't have a fortune, but then neither did Burnley or a lot of the teams currently above us in the table.