New manager

reykjavik

I don't care about his arrogance or personality or if he salutes, As i've said his time at Tottenham is a false narrative, especially when considering him for the Villa job where the circumstances are completely different. Another worry for is that Randy is only going for him because of his reputation for bringing through the youth and he's sees Sherwood as Coach who'll save him having to spend.

Edited by useless

The scariest thing about this appointment for me isn't actually Sherwood himself. Its the fact that the people running the club think he is actually a viable option for taking the club forward.

He scariest thing for me is how many experts we have in here than have written him off before he's started.

Well said that man

Hi Villatalk, Spurs fan here. Ask me anything about Tim :P

Any positives you feel he can offer Villa?

it's good to see a young British manager getting a chance at a big club

See Lambert, Paul.

He had his chance, nearly 3 seasons and it didn't work out. 

Eh?

Not my point in the slightest.

When we hired Lambert, the line 'young British manager getting a chance at a big club' fit perfectly too and look how it turned out (a disaster)

e.g. I agree with you it didn't work out  :blink: 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I just can't believe the ones who kept saying give him more time are now outraged that a poor manager is heavily linked to the job.

We have an opportunity to change the fortunes of the club by employing a manager with tactical nous and experience, instead it appears we're taking the cheapest gamble out there.

No wonder fans are frustrated.

Why would that sort of manager want to come here right now though?
Fox, Lerner et al have to convince that type of manager and sell the club to him for what it is - not take the easy option.
What is it? A team in the bottom 3 with 13 games to play. A squad destroyed of confidence and on a horrific run and an owner who doesn't want to be there.

I don't think you could sell this and I'm no fan of Lerner or fox really.

So you're saying they should just give up and accept relegation without showing ambition and potential??

Seems to me like he's saying we shouldn't have sacked Lambert because the other options are just as bad..........

I just can't believe the ones who kept saying give him more time are now outraged that a poor manager is heavily linked to the job.

Eh?

The reason some of us wanted him to get more time is because we knew there were a dearth of candidates to replace him and our owner is a mentalist who could literally pick anyone.

I'm not one to criticise fellow fans, but anyone who thinks Sherwood is a decent replacement for Lambert is quite frankly, wrong.

Its like wanting rid of the Tories then trying to say UKIP wouldn't be a bad alternative.

I know some were so desperate for Lambert to go, but accepting Sherwood as a viable alternative is just crazy.

You think Lambert was going too relegate us? Wait till you get a load of Tim.

I think you are wrong. I'd rather roll the dice with Sherwood than give up and accept a slow painful exit from the Premier League with Lambert. 

You say wanting Sherwood is crazy. Wanting Lambert to stay was even crazier. The man was a failure. 

Ultimately what 'm saying is, no-one knows! Sherwood may come in and be brilliant. He may be awful. One thing is for sure, in my opinion, a change was needed and I'd take Sherwood over Lambert

• Like 1

Problem is the clock is ticking, so unless we have a stable of potential managers on speed dial, this whole thing will be rushed, with limited options. If we end up with Sherwood or a similar type of managerial profile, he should only be given the job until the end of the season with a club option to extend the contract. If Fox jumps the gun on this then he is not quite Mr Big Time is he.

Hi Villatalk, Spurs fan here. Ask me anything about Tim :P

Any positives you feel he can offer Villa?

A lot. Short term he should give the club a lift and it will help if the fans buy into him and create a positive atmosphere. I think he's a good judge of player, when he came into Spurs, he favoured a young lad(Bentaleb) over far more experienced players with big reputations and price tags, it took a lot of balls to do that and he's been proven right as Bentaleb is now a key 1st team player for us over those established names, he also brought Kane in ahead of Soldado, a move which wasn't met positively with Spurs fans but again he's been proven more than correct on that one. I wouldn't like to guess where you'll end up this season if you were to hire him and there probably are safer options but long term I think he'll do a great job if he's given a chance. He 100% believes in developing young/home grown players over buying, he'll build a team that the fans find easy to get behind, any blasé players putting in minimal effort will quickly be shown the door - no matter who they are. He hates players who aren't good on the ball and he sets up to play attacking football - which could go some way to explaining why we had a high win % as well as a relatively high loss % and little in the way of draws while he was here.

Anyway, I've met my posts limit for the day so this'll have to be the last one. I like him and if he is appointed it's good to see a young British manager getting a chance at a big club, he'll do well if you support and stick by him imo.

I like how a Tottenham fan is the most optimistic participant in this thread! People are quick to criticise and slow to praise. We need to hire someone asap, we can't rely on the current back room staff. And if sherwood can mix things up and inject a bit of confidence into the players we can get a good number of points from the next 5 games. Or we could spend months trying to find the right manager to coach us back to the premier league as with the current staff I can't see us getting many points. Marshall has already made it clear he will continue to seek lambert's advice so I can't see our performances changing much.

If we can get a good assistant in, I say hire asap and concentrate on keeping up. We have all summer to worry about the future then!

If we're going to get somebody who will ruffle feathers, then may as well get DiCanio. I just don't understand that thinking. We're talking about bringing in a bloke with 4 months of managerial experience, at a club nowhere near any trouble, to come in and save us. It's baffling.

And, no, people aren't judging him based on one video. Don't be daft.

Some seem to think throwing a coat on the floor is the sign of a great motivator and man manager. The reality is that he polarised the Spurs dressing room in a very short space of time, hardly the sign of a great motivator.

• Like 1

People are basically drawing conclusions based on his personality, his record what short was a good one.

Sticking my neck out it's clear Levy is quite possibly the biggest clearing in the woods in football, again based on rants from my Spurs friends on facebook and me winding tbem up with pinfold lookalikes.

He will have a negative impact on some players but positives on another.

At a guess he will love Weimann, I bet sherwood likes Jack Russell cos they "work hard for the team".

He may have fired up Bent rather than shutting him out "stop being a lazy shit waiting for a **** tap in and move more".

I'd like to ask the question to him on how he motivates different types of players. Ones which need shouting at to fire them up and others that need an arm around the shoulder.

Like in any job (for me anyway) I can work with words removed if they are very good at their job.

Can't be a word removed if you're no good.

He's not proved he's rubbish or brilliant yet, no one can suggest that.

I don't quite get the Sherwood hate.

It seems like most pundits and experts in the game or people that have worked with him rate him

but there is this weird undercurrent of people who all seem to think they know him well and he's a massive dick

Lambert was probably too much of nice guy

maybe we need an asshole to motivate and get the best out of the players?

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1