New manager

reykjavik

Thomas Tuchel, Jocelyn Gourvennec, Remi Garde, Prandelli, Paco Jemez, Frank de Boer.

These are some of the names that I hope are in the frame for the job long-term. I would prefer someone with top flight experience in another country to bring a fresh approach.

I don't think the Dyches/Warburtons of this world are frankly big enough for this club. It is a massive club that still commands respect in football. I don't think the performance of whatever 11 players represent it at any one time ever changes that. I don't think an 'up and coming' manager from the lower leagues would work for the club - it's easy to see managers just shrink into that dugout because of the pressures of such a big club.

My favourites from the above would be Prandelli, Jemez and de Boer. The place needs changing and I feel a statement of intent should be made with the appointment. That could be the ripple effect that sets us going back up the table.

This squad of players is much better than the current position.

Are they? They are Prob about 6-9 points better than the current position. Let's not get carried away and say much better.

I can't get my head around why fans are so anti-Sherwood.

28 games worth of experience, never bought a player, has no experience in building a squad, and he's an absolute bellend

It's a far bigger gamble than we should be taking

And a realistic alternative is...
Sam Allardyce

He said realistic.....

Big Sam would walk here on his hands to be our manager....

So would Peter Reid.

I bet I know who would get here first...

• Like 2

Odds on Sherwood have halved on SkyBet in the last few hours. 1/20 down to 1/10. Probably just signifies people believing it's done and thinking they are getting free money...

Que "The bettings been suspended" when they take the markets down!

Surely we have to be interviewing Prandelli considering the club even did a feature about him being a "Villa Fan"

Simone Farina have a word in Fox's ear please 

Come on he's available and honestly who in their right mind would prefer Sherwood over him?

Oh and Prandelli was only at Galatasaray for 10 weeks and still managed 6 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses who wouldn't take that right now?

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

For those that are suggesting Allardyce (who I think is quite realistic as I think West Ham will be looking for a change soon)

Did you want him for our manager the previous 3 searches? Or are you going by West Ham's form this season?

No I didn't want him before but things are at a point where we need an experienced manager and he seems like a possibility due to his contract being up soon.

Id love us to think outside the box for once, like southampton did with poccitino, boro have done with karanka etc. no more of a gamble than sherwood imo. it would be so much more refreshing to have a proper footballing philosophy down there at last,something the club can base itself on. since martinez left swansea they have hardly changed id love that down the villa

I would love that as well.  And when lerner sells the club i hope we do go for something like this.

But we're not in a situation where that's really a realistic aim right now.  We don't have the time to scout someone who we think will come and build something here and i've no doubt we don't have anything attractive to make them want to come.

Fans know f all when it comes to managerial appointments. People on here were creaming themselves over solksjaer last time round yet were disgusted at the prospect of someone like McLaren or Tony Pulis taking the reins. 2 years on OGS is no longer flavour of the month & Pulis or McLaren would be gratefully received as the next manager of AVFC so if it is Sherwood everyone needs to shut the f up with all the moaning and back the bloke because there's as much chances of him succeeding as there is of failing and we're not exactly in a position where we can be too picky.

Well said.

Lambert was supposed to be the safe option before.

• Like 1

Why No Premier League Club Should Even Consider Hiring Tim Sherwood as Their Manager

Raj Bains | February 11, 2015 | 0 Comments

Over the past few months, some clubs have been their manager. Nothing quite defines desperation like blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah good luck to the club that falls for it—you’re going to need it.

Who the **** is Raj Bains!? And why should we give a toss what he thinks?

That article doesn't say anything. It's an over-long, repetitive ramble that could've been condensed into a few sentences. He clearly doesn't like Tim Sherwood; I'm sure people on here who had a similar extreme dislike for Paul Lambert could produce an equally bitter article.

If he becomes our manager, I'll wait and see what he does here before judging.

Regarding the last sentence. We just don't have time to see how it all pans out.

13 games to essentially save a club from possible obscurity should not land on a completely inexperienced ex footballer with a questionable personality.

I guess what I was trying to say is that there's no point being out to get him from day one. We'll need to get behind him and give him a chance.

Time is against us, sure, but we need to fully support whoever the new manager is for the last 13 games.

• Like 1

Are they? They are Prob about 6-9 points better than the current position. Let's not get carried away and say much better.

9 points puts us 12th in the table. So would 6. I think we're a mid-table side and better than all above us up to Everton (each team playing their best players).

Fans know f all when it comes to managerial appointments. People on here were creaming themselves over solksjaer last time round yet were disgusted at the prospect of someone like McLaren or Tony Pulis taking the reins. 2 years on OGS is no longer flavour of the month & Pulis or McLaren would be gratefully received as the next manager of AVFC so if it is Sherwood everyone needs to shut the f up with all the moaning and back the bloke because there's as much chances of him succeeding as there is of failing and we're not exactly in a position where we can be too picky.

U know the difference between ogs and mcclaren/pulis? Experience! Your argument for sherwood actually states why we shouldn't appoint Sherwood.

• Like 1

9 points puts us 12th in the table. So would 6. I think we're a mid-table side and better than all above us up to Everton (each team playing their best players).

Fine margins. It shows outside top 7 or 8 teams they're all crap. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Very true mate. Also let's not forget the singing for Paul Lambert. We backed the recrutiment of arguably our worst manager since Billy McNeil.

Sherwood not the only gamble mentioned in the last few pages !!!

Whole lists of managers with no previous involvement in this league ? A gamble.

Managers who haven't managed for ages ? A gamble.

Ex players and heroes ? A gamble.

Managers currently in lower leagues ? A gamble.

Manchester United, with all their money,power, and fame,and drawing on the knowledge of the most successful manager ever, picked a guy with a very good reputation in Moyes, and it failed for them.

• Like 1

Why No Premier League Club Should Even Consider Hiring Tim Sherwood as Their Manager

Raj Bains | February 11, 2015 | 0 Comments

Over the past few months, some clubs have been their manager. Nothing quite defines desperation like blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah good luck to the club that falls for it—you’re going to need it.

Who the **** is Raj Bains!? And why should we give a toss what he thinks?

That article doesn't say anything. It's an over-long, repetitive ramble that could've been condensed into a few sentences. He clearly doesn't like Tim Sherwood; I'm sure people on here who had a similar extreme dislike for Paul Lambert could produce an equally bitter article.

If he becomes our manager, I'll wait and see what he does here before judging.

Regarding the last sentence. We just don't have time to see how it all pans out.

13 games to essentially save a club from possible obscurity should not land on a completely inexperienced ex footballer with a questionable personality.

I guess what I was trying to say is that there's no point being out to get him from day one. We'll need to get behind him and give him a chance.

Time is against us, sure, but we need to fully support whoever the new manager is for the last 13 games.

Yeah, if he signs I'll support him like I would any manager (bar Lennon).

Until that happens I'm dead against it!

So far, everyone's saying it's between Sherwoord and "fan favorite Klinsmann".

But is he? Really? I man Klinsmann would be good here, but surely the majority would rather Prandelli, a man who's out of work and a Villa fan. That's who we should be talking to and enticing here.

• Like 1

i have to say after wtaching the interview of him after the game i can really see him being hated by the players. comes across as a right arrogant muppet. maybe that could work but its a huge gamble and i dont think its  a good move giving it to someone thats only managed for 6 months

i bet he also has a falling out with lerner & fox at some point as well