New manager

reykjavik

I'm surprised that people who used the 'we couldn't get anyone better' defence of lambert are now suddenly pissed off when we can't attract a top manager to the club.

Villa could appoint a top quality manager, we are a great club.

But not Villa with a joke chairman and a senile general who talks out of his bullet ridden arse.

• Like 3

Seriously what are people expecting?

That reads like 'beggars can't be choosers' which is itself admitting he's shit :-)

To be fair he may well be.

I think we need to be realistic about the state this club is currently in.

Why people against Sherwood? I think he did well at Spurs.

Courtesy of another VTer

Why No Premier League Club Should Even Consider Hiring Tim Sherwood as Their Manager

Raj Bains | February 11, 2015 | 0 Comments

Over the past few months, some clubs have been in the heartbreakingly sad situation of considering Tim Sherwood as a candidate to take over as their manager. Nothing quite defines desperation like being in a position where that man has somehow become a viable option to take your side forward. Time after time, however, Sherwood has been overlooked at the final moment, and a series of clubs have avoided making a horrific mistake. Yet, through his own brand of self-aggrandisement and increasing number of mutually beneficial pals in the press, the cult of Sherwood doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon—yet more proof that there isn’t a God.

Tim Sherwood is the personification of autofellatio. He is consistently dishonest, he is unimaginably unlikeable, he is perversely self-obsessed and spectacularly arrogant to boot. At the time of writing, it still isn’t completely clear or not whether he’s actually in possession of the full compliment of coaching badges required to become a Premier League manager, but it’s not like that’s stopped him before. The fact of the matter is this: Tim Sherwood is not the sort of person a professional institution of any nature should want to be associated with.

His only job in management at Tottenham is a perfect example of exactly why Sherwood should seem completely unemployable by all those unfortunate enough to be mentioned in the same breath as he is. The journey he took to the role of manager was less about hard work, suitability and having actually earned the position, but more about manipulation, gross misconduct and disloyalty. He was confirmed to be the source behind several tabloid attacks on then manager Andre Villas-Boas, and was feeding hyperbole-laden negative accounts of behind-the-scenes life at Tottenham to the likes of TalkSport, who were of course more than happy to help peddle and promote his agenda ridden rhetoric.

After the dust had settled on both Villas-Boas and Sherwood at Tottenham, the now-Zenit manager was asked about his relationship in his former role with the man who replaced him, and didn’t mix his words when replying:

“Tim was not part of my team, but I already alerted the president that he was detrimental to the club. (Sherwood) continued after I left and his leadership resulted in a extreme split between the players and the coach”.

In his own words, Villas-Boas highlights that he felt so strongly against Sherwood being involved at any level in the club he was managing that he proactively warned Daniel Levy about his negative effect on the club. In hindsight, Sherwood was probably one step ahead at that stage, and had already gained the confidence of Levy behind closed doors, which should probably go down as one of the chairman’s biggest errors of judgement in his time at the club.

Those who have not had to support a club he’s been in charge of have often mistaken Sherwood’s idiocy for honesty, in a similar fashion to how fans of Nigel Farage are often found describing his unique way of promoting bile. His am-dram level of theatrics in press conferences allowed him a platform to openly interview for every job available in football, and before long, his tenure at Tottenham became more about self-promotion than good management. Propelled by his overconfidence in his own ability and ignorance towards his own self image, Sherwood spoke of himself in Pep Guardiola-like glowing terms, when in reality being little more than an opportunistic charlatan.

The man he is most compared to is Harry Redknapp, the man who brought him in under his wing at Tottenham, and the man he may well yet replace at QPR, in a sort of football does Oedipus twist of fate. While their relationship with the press, tactical ineptitude and questionable character statuses are overtly comparable, the link is somewhat unfair on Redknapp, a man who I won’t often be found defending. Redknapp operates with a certain level of self-knowing, charisma and charm that eludes Sherwood, and unlike the former, Sherwood is yet to prove himself in several roles across the football league.

In fact, Sherwood has actually been actively turning down Premier League jobs, such is the man’s ego and sense of entitlement. His preference, apparently, is for complete autonomy with a club on all levels, and ideally for that club to be based around London, because god forbid he should have to commute. That’s an awfully long list of demands from a man who might not actually be entirely qualified to take up these positions he’s been routinely applying for. It’s a smack in the face of those managers down the league, who have cut their teeth in the lower leagues with bundles of experience, only for a man with a cabal of press associates and six questionable months at Tottenham under his belt.

We haven’t actually seen much of Sherwood managerially in an ideological sense. His time at Tottenham was boom and bust, a result of naivety and the over-simplistic. The football was generic, the tactics were maddeningly transparent and the results were par for the course. In the long term at Tottenham, he’ll be remembered as little more than a glorified caretaker and palette cleanser in between management regimes.  His biggest achievement in his time in charge was the immediate introduction of Nabil Bentaleb to first-team football, for which he deserves credit, but that’s one note of success drowned out by a cacophony of various failings.

A perfect example of how Sherwood has campaigned himself since the summer came last week. Pictures emerged from a sponsor event, where a panel was assembled to discuss footballing issues of the day, including Sherwood himself, and one Henry Winter, a Telegraph football correspondent. In an almost parody like turn of events in which no party emerges from at all well, within 48 hours of those pictures appearing on the internet, Winter had penned a column eulogising about Sherwood, painting a picture of the perfect managerial revolutionary.

This is not a man that any football fan should want anywhere near their football club. Is he likely to win the odd football match and introduce a style of football that, much like a car crash, is watchable in a perverse way? Probably, yeah. But what you’ll also find is increased press access within the club, streams of information leaks and sourceless exclusives across the internet and a growing sense of disillusionment with your club the longer he stays in charge.

At some point in the future, Sherwood is going to have to accept a job in football again, rather than “turning them down” at the 11th hour because his “terms and vision” weren’t being adhered to. When that time comes, good luck to the club that falls for it—you’re going to need it.

Posting again because I feel like it needs to be.

sounds to me like a scorned QPR fan.....or perhaps Tim has had his wicked way with his wife.

Look it could be true, but I guess someone could have wrote all that about O'Neill.

I don't know Tim Sherwood, but there again, I don't know any would be suitor, so I am no further forward

As for his inexperience....are we looking for a champions league winner, who just wants a new challenge

Edited by TRO

I can't get my head around why fans are so anti-Sherwood.

28 games worth of experience, never bought a player, has no experience in building a squad, and he's an absolute bellend

It's a far bigger gamble than we should be taking

And a realistic alternative is...

Sam Allardyce

• Like 1

I'm surprised that people who used the 'we couldn't get anyone better' defence of lambert are now suddenly pissed off when we can't attract a top manager to the club.

But not Villa with a joke chairman and a senile general who talks out of his bullet ridden arse.

But we do have a joke of a chairman and we're in serious danger of relegation and we can't offer any kind of long term plan to any manager.

Thanks to Lerner and lambert this is the type of club we currently are. 

Was Sherwood actually the Success behind his time at Spurs or was it Ramsey and Ferdinand

Both of those are now at QPR so will not be coming here

It will be Sherwood on his own with some thrown together backroom team mismatch like Lambert and Roy Keane

Can't wait

Presumably  Ramsey and Ferdinand were at Spurs before sherwood was manager so I would give him some credit. 

Tim Sherwood currently the only manager under consideration by AVFC. No deal yet but could be in place for Stoke game http://t.co/oJz1KbQfRn

Sam wallace, chief football correspondent the independant

That's my problem with sherwood

Villa have changed their plans and decided not to go with a short term appointment and go for someone who can build a squad

Sherwood ticks the 1st box not the 2nd, it doesn't make sense

I don't believe there is a long term - If Sherwood comes - keeps us up - but then flounders the following season - he will get the push. 

However we would limit ourselves further if we openly said we only want a guy until the end of the season. A long contract with a get out clause or nominal compensation seems the best way forward..

• Like 1

For those whose who are asking why people are anti-Sherwood. Can you give your reasons for actually wanting the man? Serious question, has done nothing at all to even be in consideration imo might aswell just give the job to whoever is in charge now if we're going down that road.

Additionally the continual point that fans stopped Mclaren getting the job are surely bollocks, seeing as a much bigger reaction didn't prevent Mcleish getting the job?

• Like 3

I can't get my head around why fans are so anti-Sherwood.

28 games worth of experience, never bought a player, has no experience in building a squad, and he's an absolute bellend

It's a far bigger gamble than we should be taking

And a realistic alternative is...

Sam Allardyce

Thomas Tuchel, Jocelyn Gourvennec, Remi Garde Paul Clement?

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

If it is Sherwood then the best we can hope for is that the back to basics kick up the hole that he'll bring is enough to keep us up, then the club gets sold in the summer off the back of it and he gets turfed out by the new owner. He's nowhere near the level this club should be looking at long term.

We really don't know what level he's at though do we. If he gets the job then I hope we all get behind him. 

and with 13 to go - and in the RZ...

should have made the change back end of last year - but we are where we are..

• Like 1

I'm not Sherwood's cheerleader,but I just read that article posted above.

It says virtually nothing I find relevant.

So the guy is an ego tistical self promoter ? So what ?

So he had - according to the writer - shenanigans with avb....presumably that could also be argued the other way round .

The only thing the - bile filled - article says about football is that it was 'generic'....!!!! Wtf does that mean ?.........'tactically transparent....?..

And results were 'par'.....actually better than avb !!!

So again, i have no idea whether he will work, but there is a fair bit of hysteria from some quartets.

• Like 3

For those whose who are asking why people are anti-Sherwood. Can you give your reasons for actually wanting the man? Serious question, has done nothing at all to even be in consideration imo might aswell just give the job to whoever is in charge now if we're going down that road.

Additionally the continual point that fans stopped Mclaren getting the job are surely bollocks, seeing as a much bigger reaction didn't prevent Mcleish getting the job?

For me the  passion and energy he brought to spurs when he was in charge. Thats what I want a bit more of at Villa.