New manager

reykjavik

This all smells a bit Pardew to me. 

He overachieved in similar circumstances at Newcastle. 

They bayed for blood on a bad run of form and left them doing pretty well. 

Would we take Pardew now if he was available?

Absolutely

Now Pardew definitely is a word removed, given the whole time at West Ham, so why is one definite word removed, not as a bad as  a likely word removed?

On one hand Sherwood gave Spurs a shot in the arm. Got them winning with a simple 442. Played some decent attacking football and finished with a win percentage of 59%, and that's what his advocates will point towards.

But ...

He inherited a powerful Champions League challenging squad that had just had £100m invested in it. One of the best squads in the league and a damn sight better than 59% of their opposition. Based on what was at his disposal, his record is not really remarkable.

The worry I have is the shock he'll get when (or rather if...) he walks into Bodymoor Heath and sees his new squad and the fact he won't be able to reproduce the results because he won't be inheriting anything lke as gifted a squad as he had darn sarf.

If anything the squad he would be inheriting would be more suited to the brand of football he employed at Spurs, not less? 

It should be pointed out that as a coach he was very, very highly regarded. I'm not saying I want him, only that combined with that and his 60% win percentage with a Spurs side low on confidence and allegedly riddled with dressing room "issues" points to him having potential talent. I think he has a high ceiling

I don't want him, mostly, because I think he's a massive word removed. But then, perhaps we need a bit of that. We could certainly do with an injection of character could we not? Certainly right now. 

Regardless, my money is firmly on it not being him. 

• Like 1

Absolutely

Now Pardew definitely is a word removed, given the whole time at West Ham, so why is one definite word removed, not as a bad as  a likely word removed?

I'm not against Sherwood either despite it being a risk.

I have cau

Absolutely

I'm not against Sherwood either despite it being a risk.

Well judging by the last 30 pages I have caught up on has basically summed up by

"we can't have Sherwood, he's a word removed"

"he's unproven"

If we remove unproven managers out of the equation, does that mean people who haven't managed in the Prem?

it must be someone who's been successful and managed well recently, but not in a job currently. 

that's a pretty tiny number of managers. 

• Like 2

Fans know f all when it comes to managerial appointments. People on here were creaming themselves over solksjaer last time round yet were disgusted at the prospect of someone like McLaren or Tony Pulis taking the reins. 2 years on OGS is no longer flavour of the month & Pulis or McLaren would be gratefully received as the next manager of AVFC so if it is Sherwood everyone needs to shut the f up with all the moaning and back the bloke because there's as much chances of him succeeding as there is of failing and we're not exactly in a position where we can be too picky.

U know the difference between ogs and mcclaren/pulis? Experience! Your argument for sherwood actually states why we shouldn't appoint Sherwood.

Yep that's totally true and I'm not saying Sherwood will be a good/bad appointment one way or the other. For what it's worth I'd rather go for someone like Hoddle. All I'm saying is that history shows that we never know what to expect. Quite often seemingly bad appointments turn out to be good ones and vice versa. Most of us thought Lambert would do well and look how that turned out!

I think I'm talking myself around to Sherwood!

I completely understand. I find I can easily make a case for and against him and argue both equally. At this point, safe in the knowledge that it's not my decision, I'm pretty much of the opinion of just bring it on.
  • Like 4

I think I'm talking myself around to Sherwood!

The more I think about it the more I want him.

As I sort of resigned myself to the fact there was a chance, I started to go back over his antics. Interviews etc. And rather than be turned off by him, I found him a breath of fresh air. Maybe because Lambert was rather "plain" to put it mildly. And I did enjoy watching his Spurs side, what a difference that would be from the norm!

Don't want sherwood, his former assistants are now in charge at QPR, who knows how much influence they had on his apparent ability

This is my biggest turn off

He talks a good game i like that, He will not having people take the piss i like that

But everything else outweighs the positives imo

Look, I don't have a good impression of him from the things I've read and heard about him. But he does talk a good talk and he does seem to have an honesty about him (whether that is legitimate, i'm not sure). He's also relatively young for a manager so I hope he's learned from his mistakes at Spurs.

If he does end up coming, I'll back him. I'll just be pretty apprehensive in doing so.