New manager

reykjavik

I don't get the anti Sherwood comments.

He isn't proven, but proven managers can fail at new clubs, and unproven ones can succeed.

His record at spurs was good. He is a decent coach by all accounts.

He has an edge to his character, so did Fergie, Shankly,Saunders, Murinho,and in their own way BigFatRon, Gregory,and Saunders. It can be a good thing, it sometimes is not.

He seems to have an ego - see above times 10 !

Some of the names bandied around are so far fetched I cant believe they are serious suggestions. He may not work - I think he will (but I spent two years thinking Lambert would !) but he is by no means a daft or suicidal idea as some are suggesting.

At worst we end up going down - and that goes for whoever it is, we have left it late.

At best he could be a positive, attacking minded manager who keeps us up and grows into the job, bringing youth through to blend with the best of Lambert's buys.

As it happens I always quite liked him from what I saw....not as a mate, but for his unschooled, natural approach to stuff around the games.

good post Terry

Whats good about it? That a man with 4 months experience was compared to four or five of the greatest managers in footballing history. People are so relieved to have got rid of Lambert they are happy to take anyone as they see it as an improvement.

You should look again I didn't compare him to them.

I merely said that having an ego, an edge, .....or if you like even being almost totally bonkers !!!.....CAN work.

And by the wag there was a time when every manager had only had limited experience.

Are you suggesting that in some way experience is by definition better ?

Experience fails too.

McLeish was experienced..?

I just think given our circumstances which limit our possible choices he is a reasonable enough choice with potentially good points

Well get experience in the lower leagues or somewhere else and not at my club who are fighting for their lives. And 100% sure am saying experience is better. That way you can weed out the bad and the good from going through their experience. Sherwood might turn out to be a great manager, but id rather we go with someone who has a proven record of being good at this particular moment of Villas season and not a ridiculous gamble like him. Im nearly 100% sure it wont be him though.

For those whose who are asking why people are anti-Sherwood. Can you give your reasons for actually wanting the man? Serious question, has done nothing at all to even be in consideration imo might aswell just give the job to whoever is in charge now if we're going down that road.

Additionally the continual point that fans stopped Mclaren getting the job are surely bollocks, seeing as a much bigger reaction didn't prevent Mcleish getting the job?

For me it's because I don't believe we can currently attract much better.  I don't believe lerner will pay what's needed to get a manager currently employed and i don't think any decent manager would touch this club till the summer.

I wouldn't say I want sherwood or am desperate to get him but realistically i think he's the option that we can get and will do what we need to stay up.

If it is Sherwood then the best we can hope for is that the back to basics kick up the hole that he'll bring is enough to keep us up, then the club gets sold in the summer off the back of it and he gets turfed out by the new owner. He's nowhere near the level this club should be looking at long term.

We really don't know what level he's at though do we. If he gets the job then I hope we all get behind him.

Getting behind him goes without saying. But he's worryingly unqualified, lacking experience and underwhelming.
  • Like 1

For those whose who are asking why people are anti-Sherwood. Can you give your reasons for actually wanting the man? Serious question, has done nothing at all to even be in consideration imo might aswell just give the job to whoever is in charge now if we're going down that road.

Additionally the continual point that fans stopped Mclaren getting the job are surely bollocks, seeing as a much bigger reaction didn't prevent Mcleish getting the job?

For me it's because I don't believe we can currently attract much better.  I don't believe lerner will pay what's needed to get a manager currently employed and i don't think any decent manager would touch this club till the summer.

I wouldn't say I want sherwood or am desperate to get him but realistically i think he's the option that we can get and will do what we need to stay up.

Basically you'd take anyone that isn't Lambert?

If it is Sherwood then the best we can hope for is that the back to basics kick up the hole that he'll bring is enough to keep us up, then the club gets sold in the summer off the back of it and he gets turfed out by the new owner. That way it's job done and no damage done plus he gets another feather in his cap.

He's nowhere near the level this club should be looking at long term.

This is why I don't mind Sherwood until the end of the season. All he did was apply a common sense approach to a Spurs team that didn't know what they were doing. Maybe he can do the same for us

Every time I see Tim Sherwood on TV I cringe and think "thank God that prat is nothing to do with the Villa".

Seriously, if that ego maniac becomes our manager I think I'm going to have to avoid all TV footage of him for the sake of my sanity.

• Like 1

We're in an utter shambles at the moment.  If lerner had sacked lambert in the summer or before xmas we'd be in a stronger position but we're at rock bottom and desperate. Lambert and Lerner have nearly put us down, we now have a chance to try and save ourselves.

Basically you'd take anyone that isn't Lambert?

No we should have kept him and hoped for the best like we'd done for the last 6 months.

I can't get my head around why fans are so anti-Sherwood.

28 games worth of experience, never bought a player, has no experience in building a squad, and he's an absolute bellend

It's a far bigger gamble than we should be taking

And a realistic alternative is...

Sam Allardyce

He said realistic.....

I can't get my head around why fans are so anti-Sherwood.

28 games worth of experience, never bought a player, has no experience in building a squad, and he's an absolute bellend

It's a far bigger gamble than we should be taking

And a realistic alternative is...
Sam Allardyce

He said realistic.....

Big Sam would walk here on his hands to be our manager....

Have I missed an announcement by the club or a proven ITK's statement, or is Sherwood's apparent appointment still based on bookies odds?

No, it's the usual misinterpreting bookies odds added to sherwoods media pals bigging him up for another job

Apparently we're the 6th club he's been odds on favourite for