January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Real Madrid handle transfers in the best way. When they buy someone they purchase 50% of the players rights. So they make so much money back from that player from other contracts that he has. Makes sense really. That money can then go against the outlay for the player they just purchased for each year of his contract.

I really don't get all this discussion. If Lerner wanted to fund a transfer spending spree - he could - The fact that he doesn't is the problem - not FFP, Amortisation, capitalisation, how much profit we make - Lerner doesn't want to fund it. 

Agree totally. It was like when fans were saying he had no money, when he still had billions sitting around and he just sold the Browns for another cheeky Billion.

The fee is amortized over the contract and the wages are written down as wages usually are (weekly/monthly) when paid, no?

Yea that's right I must have had a brain fart. So 8m over 4 years loss of 2m a year correct?

What happens then though that's the bit that confuses me

Yeah wages are just general outgoings, the transfer fee is the weird one

Real Madrid handle transfers in the best way. When they buy someone they purchase 50% of the players rights. So they make so much money back from that player from other contracts that he has. Makes sense really. That money can then go against the outlay for the player they just purchased for each year of his contract.

I really don't get all this discussion. If Lerner wanted to fund a transfer spending spree - he could - The fact that he doesn't is the problem - not FFP, Amortisation, capitalisation, how much profit we make - Lerner doesn't want to fund it.

Why would he?

Agree totally. It was like when fans were saying he had no money, when he still had billions sitting around and he just sold the Browns for another cheeky Billion.

He only doesn't want to fund it because he doesn't get enough back. He's making a loss constantly. One of the reasons Mr Fox was brought in, in order to change that, I assume.

The fee is amortized over the contract and the wages are written down as wages usually are (weekly/monthly) when paid, no?

Yea that's right I must have had a brain fart. So 8m over 4 years loss of 2m a year correct?

What happens then though that's the bit that confuses me

Yeah wages are just general outgoings, the transfer fee is the weird one

Well I was thinking (accountants it isn't every day someone thinks your interesting so jump on this) if their transfer fee is counted as a loss of 2 million a year for 4 years for a player brought for 8 million on a 4 year deal then I see a few scenarios which I can't make sense of.

1. Does that mean if they sign a contract for a further 4 years after 2 years their value drops on the books by 1 million a year because 4 million has already gone or does it continue by the original amount?

2. Regardless of if the above is correct does that mean when the contract runs out and they sign a new one if we sell him it is just counted as pure profit? So the guzan example if we sold him for 10m

It's really important for this to be known so we know what to expect money wise on transfers as in what's affordable.

He only doesn't want to fund it because he doesn't get enough back. He's making a loss constantly. One of the reasons Mr Fox was brought in, in order to change that, I assume.

We don't make losses anymore with our spending it's roughly break even maybe even a couple of million in the black but it wasn't previously so to comply with FFP if we finished in a Europa spot we would still need to have less losses over the past 3 years to not be fined.

That is the explanation.

Long term I'd like us to try and set up in the same way Chelsea do.  Before I get shot down, I know it is a stretch to imagine and we won't have anywhere near the same quality, but I think Mourinho's philosophy is quite similar to Lambert's ideals (not necessarily what he feels we have been capable of playing in the past) of a narrow midfield playing through the centre, everyone tracking back.  Here's the comparison...

Costa

Benteke

Hazard --- Oscar --- Willian

Delph  ---  Cole ---  Cleverly

Fabregas   ---   Matic

Westwood --- Sanchez

Azpilicueta -- Terry -- Cahill -- Ivanovic

Cissoko -- Vlaar -- Okore -- Hutton

Cortouis

Guzan

Now as I said it is a stretch and for sure the 3 behind the striker are way off being (1) as good or (2) as suited, but given that Delph could be off and Cleverly might be rethought, for me thats the area of the pitch and type of player we should be investing in, that hard working mobile style of AM rather than out and out wingers.

Thoughts?

Costa

Benteke = compairable

Hazard --- Oscar --- Willian

Delph  ---  Cole ---  Cleverly = a Joke

Fabregas   ---   Matic

Westwood --- Sanchez = Sanchez eventually

Azpilicueta -- Terry -- Cahill -- Ivanovic

Cissoko -- Vlaar -- Okore -- Hutton = Only Okore

Cortouis

Guzan = Compairable

I would argue Guzan is better than Courtois, Okore has the potential to be better than Cahill and is Benteke better than Costa. Overall the gulf in quality is outstanding, Hutton, Vlaar, Cissokho, Cole, Delph and Cleverley would never get into the Chelsea squad. Westwood and Sanchez have potential, the former should be the Villa captain if/and when Vlaar leaves.

Keep delph & vlaar til end of season

Sign Sinclair in jan

Wait to get cleverly on a free

Sell benteke 45m + gabby, weiman & nzogbia should be about 50m to spend

In summer go for Townsend, dembele, Ings & Austin

Guzan

Hutton okore clark cissokho

Sanchez westwood

Townsend dembele Sinclair

Austin

Drugs are just bad.....mmmmkay.

I was thinking the same thing
Explain why this is a drug induced comment?

Which players do you think the mighty villa will attract playing shit football and paying relatively low wages? Or did u forget that vlaar delph & benteke are on their way out. Next season expect to lose okore aswell. Even cleverly who most of the supporters don't want doesn't actually want to sign for villa

Edited by dakid007

Selling Benteke for a good amount is not a bad option but it won't be 40m and we won't get to spend the entire amount he sells for. We would have to 100% have someone we know for sure is good enough to  replace him lined up too if we do that. Not some young upstart from a unknown league or the championship. Either a veteran player that is beyond his prime or a quality striker from at top 5 league that has proved himself.

Keep delph & vlaar til end of season

Sign Sinclair in jan

Wait to get cleverly on a free

Sell benteke 45m + gabby, weiman & nzogbia should be about 50m to spend

In summer go for Townsend, dembele, Ings & Austin

Guzan

Hutton okore clark cissokho

Sanchez westwood

Townsend dembele Sinclair

Austin

Drugs are just bad.....mmmmkay.

I was thinking the same thing
Explain why this is a drug induced comment?

Which players do you think the mighty villa will attract playing shit football and paying relatively low wages? Or did u forget that vlaar delph & benteke are on their way out. Next season expect to lose okore aswell. Even cleverly who most of the supporters don't want doesn't actually want to sign for villa

1. Selling Benteke for 45m isn't going to happen also finding buyers willing to pick up gabby and weimann in the same window isn't going to happen this isn't football manager.

2. Those players combined don't earn over 200k a week so the wage bill would be going up a fair chunk - there are other costs than transfer fees such as wages and sign on bonus'.

As Sinclair and dembele is a combined 10m in fees that suggests you think it is a good idea to spend 40m on someone out of contract in 6 months, a player who has played in the premier league for 5 months after playing all his career I. The lower league and he ain't 20 and a Spurs bench warmer.

Just no and that isn't even debating if they are the right players to sign or not.

Guzan better than Courtois? Benteke better than Costa?   :crylaugh:

VTs often overrate Benteke, Guzan, Delph and Vlaar Okore. Sometimes Westwood and Sanchez too. Lowton before that. You'd think we have 4 or 5 top 4 quality players  :D In fact neither of them are, with the possible exception of Benteke when fit and on form, which hasn't really happened in a while. 

Edit : Most football fans tend to either overrate or underrate their own players, so it's not just VT of course. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan