January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Been thinking earlier about why we never seem go after big named up and coming players now and usually boils down to wages!! Right if someone like Shakiri is available he will be on around 70/80k a week!! which after a transfer fee is nothing for a player of his ability and say we give him a 4 year contract!! i doubt after a year he will throw a hissy fit asking for more wages (when he is on a decent wedge)

Now take this young, cheap crap that we been doing!! The likes of Lowton and others seemed to have got rises every year from their initial 10k a week, Benteke was signed on 4 year deal at around £20k a week (reported wages) but when he had that first season he threatened to put transfer request in and we ended upping his wages to £60k just one year on into 4 year deal, even though there was chance it may not have worked when signed!!

It is a gamble that these players will either work or not (in Benteke's case) so why does the Villa board haggle over paying players (already known across Europe already; Lukaku, Tadic, Sissoko and the other players we have meant be linked with last few years) for the sake of around £40k a week plus and don't wanna go past £25k a week? when a lot of them will bring in a lot more in shirt sales because of their established name already or being a known up and coming player..

It's a dangerous move and shows how penny pinching Lerner and his cronies are that they are relying on these cheaper wages players to come good when fact is only one or two do, and would get better value for money getting better plays on better money and if don't work out more chance of getting most of our money back!!

The more dangerous move is spending massive wages on supposedly good, proven players (Bent, Ireland, Given, N'Zogbia) and have them sat around at the club eating up... what, 250k/wk - when already in a crap financial situation.

Benteke was on lower wages - if it didn't work out, we don't get absolutely shafted.  If it does work out, we can offer him an improved deal or get decent dolla for him.  That's a much more preferential option in my eyes, especially whilst we're not in the greatest financial position in the world.

Been thinking earlier about why we never seem go after big named up and coming players now and usually boils down to wages!! Right if someone like Shakiri is available he will be on around 70/80k a week!! which after a transfer fee is nothing for a player of his ability and say we give him a 4 year contract!! i doubt after a year he will throw a hissy fit asking for more wages (when he is on a decent wedge)

Now take this young, cheap crap that we been doing!! The likes of Lowton and others seemed to have got rises every year from their initial 10k a week, Benteke was signed on 4 year deal at around £20k a week (reported wages) but when he had that first season he threatened to put transfer request in and we ended upping his wages to £60k just one year on into 4 year deal, even though there was chance it may not have worked when signed!!

It is a gamble that these players will either work or not (in Benteke's case) so why does the Villa board haggle over paying players (already known across Europe already; Lukaku, Tadic, Sissoko and the other players we have meant be linked with last few years) for the sake of around £40k a week plus and don't wanna go past £25k a week? when a lot of them will bring in a lot more in shirt sales because of their established name already or being a known up and coming player..

It's a dangerous move and shows how penny pinching Lerner and his cronies are that they are relying on these cheaper wages players to come good when fact is only one or two do, and would get better value for money getting better plays on better money and if don't work out more chance of getting most of our money back!!

We can't afford it we break even with what we do now.

Best option in future is to buy players under 25 with potential and hope they sell for more to build aka the Spurs model over the years.

• Like 1

A lot depends on the skill of the coaches to blend the players in to a unit that can defend and attack in response to the mood of the game.

just like a blender in a distillery is the skill of putting all the attributes together to get the whole thing......" The Team" or the whiskey in the bottle.

11 players are not necessarily a team....we have had Managers who had the staff to do it.

some of the most modest individuals put together to compliment each other can shock.

buying individuals is just part of it.....blending is the essence.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Is wollsheid good?

Alright - big physical presence. Certainly not a coup or anything like that though.

Strange signing for Stoke. They don't have issues at the back and have plenty of depth there with Huth back now.

They're deluded if they think Shaqari is coming to them aswell.

Januazj would be miles better than Sinclair, that would be a signing even on loan I'd be very happy with.

Man. United will certainly loan him out as he hasn't played a huge amount for them. Talk was of Sociedad as he obviously got plenty of chances under Moyes.

May as well pack this thread up now if we can't afford 2m for Sinclair.

You don't for a second think the 50k a week is the bigger problem?

Come on people we paid 4m for Sanchez in the summer so I doubt the fee is the stumbling block whatever the papers are saying.

• Like 1

My view on current transfer window, rumours and the status of our players;

Finances are obviously (unfortunately) the key in all decisions that needs to be made so we have to be realistic, accept what we can get and let go of our pride to some degree.

Vlaar - if we can sell in Jan then we should. He's hardly played, he's not going to make us any more likely to avoid relegation and any money we can get for him is a bonus as I think we all accept he's not signing anyways new contract anyway.

Delph - try our best to make him stay but if not, he must see out contract. He's far more crucial to our midfield than Vlaar is to our defence. Only silly money should make us sell him now.

Cleverley - after failing to really impress we shouldn't be buying now. Certainly not for the ridiculous figures banded around (how come Vlaar captain is worth £1.5m with 6 months and unwanted midfielder is worth over four times that much with 6 months left?!) Decision to buy in summer should be left til then.

Sinclair - the sort of player we need position wise. Unproven recently and a risk but I think he's the best we'll get with the kind of transfers/ wages we can offer. 

Very few players we will be linked with will excite fans now. We are not financially able to buy those players. The best we will get is more 'meh' players that we can only hope will prove at least adequate players - see more Cissokho's. 

Can't argue with that!

They're deluded if they think Shaqari is coming to them aswell.

You'd think so but then would their assistant really openly declare such interest if the deal wasn't at an advanced stage? If it does happen, I suspect it will just be a loan though.

Unless of course they are taking a leaf out of the HDE handbook and publicly chasing unrealistic targets to sell ambition to the fans - but I doubt it as they must already be quite content with how it's gone under Hughes so far.

Edited by Isa

I Think we should spunk everything we have (& dont have) on Messi

Villa Park would be sold out every week.

Lerner could even shaft us for another 10 quid per ticket

The fans would have their Nr 10

Lambert could carry on instructing the defence & 3 Holding midfield players to stay in their own half.

They would only have to be "ready" every 15mins, when the opposition picks the ball out of the net after yet another Messi-Gooooooooooooal, when they kick off again.

Lambert wouldnt need to learn any tactics, just "give it to the short guy" and say "go again"

Messi would cost more than our club.......  lol.. hypothetically speaking..if we sign Messi.. would we be instant CL contenders?  

You sign a big name marquee you will sell lots of merchandise..   sponsorship etc you do make some money back.. unfortunately only works for the bigger clubs with bigger fan bases.

I read now that we cannot afford 50k a week for Sinclair.. it is alot for him but it is the going rate these days. It is just sad that we cannot bring in players that he wants and has to settle for Tonevs and Helenius of the world.

I read somewhere that Sinclair isnt even his main target for the winger role.

Edited by KSV

Chel$ki and Man Shitty were no bigger then we are now when they strated buying big name players which increased their fan bases massively. It honestly can happen to any club if there is money there.

For Chelsea and Man City supporters prior to UAE and Russian takeovers, it was pure luck.

The bigger fan bases you are talking about are just bandwagon supporters that will die out like they have with Leeds.

Chel$ki and Man Shitty were no bigger then we are now when they strated buying big name players which increased their fan bases massively. It honestly can happen to any club if there is money there.

For Chelsea and Man City supporters prior to UAE and Russian takeovers, it was pure luck.

The bigger fan bases you are talking about are just bandwagon supporters that will die out like they have with Leeds.

yeah i know but its also money making. Since theres no sugar daddy for us.. its obviously very difficult. 

Respectfully your wrong

They were of similar sizes to what we were under MON.

They also had either location or infrastructure going for them depending on which club you want to talk about.

In a world of FFP where you can't spend anything you like now you also can't have someone come in throw 500m at it and do the same thing as several clubs have found out in the first round of sanctions.

Scott Sinclair is a big coup imo for that kind of transfer numbers. The wages I have no clue what we are looking at but could be a decent deal. If we can get 10-12m for Vlaar and Delph and then reinvest that in some offensive players like Sinclair, Lennon or Dembele. 

We certainly need creativity. I'm not aware of that many great creative talents in England. There really are few compared to other leagues as the teams rely a lot more on speed and physical strength. The few sides that use them extensively are sides like Arsenal who play a more possession based style as opposed to the direct one used by most Premier League teams, where a creative passing, and dribbling skils are more important. 

We are at a distinct disadvantage as a british team bringing in playmakers. We would need to rely on the Italian or Spanish leagues, and are unable to pull from the cheaper Brazilian and Argentine leagues due to Visa Requirements. 

Not to say that the players are not out there. Someone like Beñat would be a excellent addition to our side.