January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

I know that Nick Powell has apparantly had an attitude problem at Leicester, but being a Villa fan (and someone that has lost his way slightly, and probably wont feature under Van Gaal), maybe we should take a punt on him?

He was meant to be quality at Crewe.

Would have loved him here, up until reading the recent comments on his attitude. If he can't/won't change it being at Man Utd then what's it going to be like at his boyhood club?
Me mentioning Villa being his boyhood club was more about attracting him to come here, not a way to sort out his attitude.

It's often down to managers to sort these players out, and I imagine Lambert is the type of manager that could put an arm around his shoulder and get him playing properly again.

Maybe Nigel Pearson's charismatic team talks haven't inspired him. :D

Whether Powell sorts his attitude out or not, he seems like one of those players that could join a mid-table side, and would leave us shouting "Why weren't we in for him!?"

Villa was his boyhood club?! Never knew that. As someone who watched him frequently at Crewe i can tell you he was **** amazing there. Seriously.
I'm sure I saw a photo of him somewhere with a Villa top when he was a kid.

I know that Nick Powell has apparantly had an attitude problem at Leicester, but being a Villa fan (and someone that has lost his way slightly, and probably wont feature under Van Gaal), maybe we should take a punt on him?

He was meant to be quality at Crewe.

Would have loved him here, up until reading the recent comments on his attitude. If he can't/won't change it being at Man Utd then what's it going to be like at his boyhood club?
Me mentioning Villa being his boyhood club was more about attracting him to come here, not a way to sort out his attitude.

It's often down to managers to sort these players out, and I imagine Lambert is the type of manager that could put an arm around his shoulder and get him playing properly again.

Maybe Nigel Pearson's charismatic team talks haven't inspired him. :D

Whether Powell sorts his attitude out or not, he seems like one of those players that could join a mid-table side, and would leave us shouting "Why weren't we in for him!?"

Villa was his boyhood club?! Never knew that. As someone who watched him frequently at Crewe i can tell you he was **** amazing there. Seriously.
I'm sure I saw a photo of him somewhere with a Villa top when he was a kid.

1411975557270_wps_1_nick_powell.jpg

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/549372/Burnley-Danny-Ings-Leicester-Southampton-Everton-Aston-Villa

The England under-21 striker is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with a move away from Turf Moor.

But the 22-year-old has no plans to walk out in the middle of a relegation fight, despite interest from Premier League rivals Leicester, Southampton, Everton and Aston Villa.

"I'm contracted until the end of the season and that's the way it's going to be," he said.

"I will fight for the team as much as I can and do my best for them. If an offer comes in, I won't be looking at it." Recent reports have suggested £7.5m would be enough for Burnley to sell, but manager Sean Dyche is not interested in selling.

The Clarets tactician said on Ings' availability: "No concerns whatsoever. I’ve been asked that question for the last two years.

"It is what it is. We have open dialogue with him and his agent.

"The chairmen have come out and said he’s going nowhere and I’m happy with that as a manager."

Ings is quite good, but we don't need him. Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, and Weimann are our striker. We need an attacking mid. 

Benteke has been hit and miss since his injury, Kozak wont be back this season and Gabby and Wiemann are pretty crap. Probably could use a decent striker as well as an AM

• Like 1

Ings is quite good, but we don't need him. Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, and Weimann are our striker. We need an attacking mid. 

Strikers are supposed to score goals chap! :)

Precisely, I'd have Ings over Weimann any day.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/549372/Burnley-Danny-Ings-Leicester-Southampton-Everton-Aston-Villa

The England under-21 striker is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with a move away from Turf Moor.

But the 22-year-old has no plans to walk out in the middle of a relegation fight, despite interest from Premier League rivals Leicester, Southampton, Everton and Aston Villa.

"I'm contracted until the end of the season and that's the way it's going to be," he said.

"I will fight for the team as much as I can and do my best for them. If an offer comes in, I won't be looking at it." Recent reports have suggested £7.5m would be enough for Burnley to sell, but manager Sean Dyche is not interested in selling.

The Clarets tactician said on Ings' availability: "No concerns whatsoever. I’ve been asked that question for the last two years.

"It is what it is. We have open dialogue with him and his agent.

"The chairmen have come out and said he’s going nowhere and I’m happy with that as a manager."

No chance that happening in my view.

Trent, given you have excellent ITK on here these days from the training ground, why in your view is Lambert so reluctant to get in creative/attacking midfielders during his reign here?

Yes I know they cost money and wages but some no more than what we wanted to sign Cleverley for. Infact if that link to Canales had been real he'd have cost much less in both departments.

Did he just get carried away by the way we ended 12/13 and think counter attacking with the personnel we had was the only way to play and attempt to score goals?

Just because a media outlet writes a story claiming we are linked with a player doesn't mean it's true. The fact is we have been crying out for a true attacking midfielder for a long time now and all we've gotten is Joe Cole.

I hold out hope because we were in the same place for a while with regards to a defensive midfielder and Lambert signed Sanchez who I like and has looked really good in recent times. I still don't think Lambert's playing style, training and tactics will get the best out of any attacking midfielder he does so happen to buy, however.

I don't think there is a reluctance to or think he hasn't tried, in fact there is quite a few names that show he has tried. There is Kiyotake, Hoolanhan, Dembele, Chadli, Tadic, Canales just of the top of my head.

We made moves for all those players at various times and non of them came off for a variety of reasons but predominately due to money.

He signed Cole who is exactly the type of player we need but at least 5 years older than we ideally need.

People can argue he should have signed one instead of Kozak and they may have a point, although personally I don't agree, but it isn't like he has lavished money on other areas of the team/squad. (lets not have another debate on that though folks, we've been there before and there is nothing new to say on it)

I think Lambert knows what is needed but doing something about it is perhaps harder than people sometimes appreciate.

As for Cleverley, we've not signed him, we've loaned him and it very much remains to be seen if we take up the option to make it perm in Jan or not and if we do what it costs. If we spend £7.5m on him then I'd be inclined to agree that the money would have been better spent on a creative player but I don't think we will.

So the cost of Cleverley is currently just the wages and there aren't many attacking creative midfielders available on loan at the cost of just those wages.

I think Lambert knows what is needed but doing something about it is perhaps harder than people sometimes appreciate.

Sure thing, we must be the only premier league club in history that couldn't afford to sign Wes Hoolahan.

Sure thing, we must be the only premier league club in history that couldn't afford to sign Wes Hoolahan.

I knew someone would make a comment along those lines.

Everyone knows the reason we didn't get him was because of the bitterness of Norwich rather than money, I didn't think I needed to add that but it is why I said they didn't come off for 'a variety of reasons but predominately due to money'.

• Like 1

You cant use the hoolahan thing as a stick to beat lambert with, hoolahan was told he could leave norwich and wasn't in the team then we made a bid for what he was worth & all of a sudden he was back in their team and we were bastards because we were trying to prize there star player away.

Hoolahan would have been ideal here mind.

Edited by Jimzk5

You cant use the hoolahan thing as a stick to beat lambert with, hoolahan was told he could leave norwich and wasn't in the team then we made a bid for what he was worth & all of a sudden he was back in their team and we were bastards because we were trying to prize there star player away.

Hoolahan would have been ideal here mind.

I certainly wan't trying to beat Lambert with that stick, it was aimed as a dig at the lack of funds from the owner.

I don't think there is a reluctance to or think he hasn't tried, in fact there is quite a few names that show he has tried. There is Kiyotake, Hoolanhan, Dembele, Chadli, Tadic, Canales just of the top of my head.

We made moves for all those players at various times and non of them came off for a variety of reasons but predominately due to money.

He signed Cole who is exactly the type of player we need but at least 5 years older than we ideally need.

People can argue he should have signed one instead of Kozak and they may have a point, although personally I don't agree, but it isn't like he has lavished money on other areas of the team/squad. (lets not have another debate on that though folks, we've been there before and there is nothing new to say on it)

As for Cleverley, we've not signed him, we've loaned him and it very much remains to be seen if we take up the option to make it perm in Jan or not and if we do what it costs. If we spend £7.5m on him then I'd be inclined to agree that the money would have been better spent on a creative player but I don't think we will.

So the cost of Cleverley is currently just the wages and there aren't many attacking creative midfielders available on loan at the cost of just those wages.

If the only reason we are losing out to other clubs for the creative players quoted (Hoolahan aside) is fees and wages then we are not living in the real world when it comes to being a Premiership club.

I look at some of the creative players Southampton signed before Koeman and players Swansea have signed, I find it very hard to understand why they have managed it and we can't. Yes I am over simplifying and taking a narrow view, but our transfer policies and targets are hard to accept.

Edited by VillanousOne

Didn't want Hoolahan, the bloke can't even get a regular start in the Norwich team right now. Really don't think he'd have amounted to much here.

I was just disappointed after the Kioyate move fell through, Lambert didn't have a plan B that summer and signed Kozak instead. Belhanda was vaguely linked around that time aswell.