January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

If we got 20m for vlaar and Delph now ithink we would be crazy to not accept that providing Lerner agreed that lambert can re-invest all of it

Otherwise keep until the summer

Where do you get that figure from?

We would be lucky to get half that :)

Maybe because Cleverley alone is said to be touted at 7/8m so Delph alone should be 12/14m based on that valuation.

If we got 20m for vlaar and Delph now ithink we would be crazy to not accept that providing Lerner agreed that lambert can re-invest all of it

Maybe because Cleverley alone is said to be touted at 7/8m so Delph alone should be 12/14m based on that valuation.

It ain't that black and white man.

Both 25, both got 6 months to run on existing contracts, one is a former international and shows nothing, one is a current international showing progression, one is shite and one is good. 

I think that very in-depth analysis above should reflect the 40/50% fluctuation with the valuation .

• Like 1

Both 25, both got 6 months to run on existing contracts, one is a former international and shows nothing, one is a current international showing progression, one is shite and one is good. 

I think that very in-depth analysis above should reflect the 40/50% fluctuation with the valuation .

Supply and demand.  This isn't FM.

Are you saying there will be more national or international demand for Cleverley than Delph? 

Edited by Kingman

Are you saying there will be more national or international demand for Cleverley than Delph? 

I'm saying that the clubs who Delph would likely move to aren't going to be in desperate need to sign a midfielder with 6 months left on his contract for £12/14m when they can wait until the summer and get him for £0.

Exactly, Delph will be wanted by a whole host of clubs in the summer. Everyone knows he isn't staying here, everyone knows we will likely take what we can get now.

Whether Cleverley is worth £7m or not, I am pretty sure Man United wont be bemoaning him going on a free if they don't get a fee like us.

We hold no cards here.

Exactly, Delph will be wanted by a whole host of clubs in the summer. Everyone knows he isn't staying here, everyone knows we will likely take what we can get now.

Whether Cleverley is worth £7m or not, I am pretty sure Man United wont be bemoaning him going on a free if they don't get a fee like us.

We hold no cards here.

Well as long as we don't let Utd pull our pants down with the asking price I'm not bothered. 

Cleverley on a free is ok, Cleverley for 7/8m is not good practice and not what we need right now. 

Would Even take a swap deal for Vlaar if LVG has been on the crystal meth, However a swap deal for Delph they can suck my poo pipe!

8 mill for cleverley would be a joke

Westwood is better than him and we paid what 1 - 2 mill for him?

Unfortunately I dont think we have a choice.  This is the price we will pay for not having tied up Delphs contract.

I don't think there is a reluctance to or think he hasn't tried, in fact there is quite a few names that show he has tried. There is Kiyotake, Hoolanhan, Dembele, Chadli, Tadic, Canales just of the top of my head.

We made moves for all those players at various times and non of them came off for a variety of reasons but predominately due to money.

He signed Cole who is exactly the type of player we need but at least 5 years older than we ideally need.

People can argue he should have signed one instead of Kozak and they may have a point, although personally I don't agree, but it isn't like he has lavished money on other areas of the team/squad. (lets not have another debate on that though folks, we've been there before and there is nothing new to say on it)

I think Lambert knows what is needed but doing something about it is perhaps harder than people sometimes appreciate.

As for Cleverley, we've not signed him, we've loaned him and it very much remains to be seen if we take up the option to make it perm in Jan or not and if we do what it costs. If we spend £7.5m on him then I'd be inclined to agree that the money would have been better spent on a creative player but I don't think we will.

So the cost of Cleverley is currently just the wages and there aren't many attacking creative midfielders available on loan at the cost of just those wages.

If the only reason we are losing out to other clubs for the creative players quoted (Hoolahan aside) is fees and wages then we are not living in the real world when it comes to being a Premiership club.

I look at some of the creative players Southampton signed before Koeman and players Swansea have signed, I find it very hard to understand why they have managed it and we can't. Yes I am over simplifying and taking a narrow view, but our transfer policies and targets are hard to accept.

We massively overspent and completely **** ourselves up because of this. It takes a while to come back from that sort of thing unless you accept relegation and a complete asset strip of the playing squad. Even then, it can take years to get back onto an even footing.

The problem is that football fans want instant gratification. Essentially, they're not fussed about anything behind the scenes as long as results on the pitch are good. Nobody was worried about all the spending we were doing when finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row, but look how much that has cost us now? Coupled with the introduction of FFP (or, the "rich get richer" ruling) we've had to haul back hugely on investment - and that's even if the owner is still interested in the club.

This !

8 mill for cleverley would be a joke

Westwood is better than him and we paid what 1 - 2 mill for him?

I think it's difficult to compare the two. Westwood was a particularly good bit of business that would be difficult to replicate. As ordinary as Cleverley has been, I think it's a fair price in the market.

the question is if Vlaar and Delph left now would we get relegated?

Vlaar is our captain and was very good vs Sunderland, but you'd think we now have Clark playing well, Okore playing well, and Senderos and Baker coming back you would think we might be ok. Hard to predict though either way. 

My opinion only is that Vlaar gets forward and affects play from time to time, not sure that makes a huge difference.

If we lose Delph and didn't sign Cleverly, then we would have Sanchez, Westwood and Richardson. That wouldn't work out well. So we would need to do that rare thing that we hate doing and ensure we have a replacement for Delph lined up before we sell him, preferably not Cleverly. Even having Cleverly is not a replacement for Delph, would it stop us getting relegated?

I'm saying that the clubs who Delph would likely move to aren't going to be in desperate need to sign a midfielder with 6 months left on his contract for £12/14m when they can wait until the summer and get him for £0.

IMO i think we will see a few panic buys in January from teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool who will be desperate to land the wide open remaining 3rd and 4th spots.