January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

the question is if Vlaar and Delph left now would we get relegated?

Vlaar is our captain and was very good vs Sunderland, but you'd think we now have Clark playing well, Okore playing well, and Senderos and Baker coming back you would think we might be ok. Hard to predict though either way. 

My opinion only is that Vlaar gets forward and affects play from time to time, not sure that makes a huge difference.

If we lose Delph and didn't sign Cleverly, then we would have Sanchez, Westwood and Richardson. That wouldn't work out well. So we would need to do that rare thing that we hate doing and ensure we have a replacement for Delph lined up before we sell him, preferably not Cleverly. Even having Cleverly is not a replacement for Delph, would it stop us getting relegated?

I don't think we would.  The problem with our squad overall is that it's pretty... average.  Delph has the potential to be a good player, but doesn't really do much for us due to his lack of end product.  Vlaar is a good leader and good defender, but isn't so outstanding that he'd be hard to replace (unlike, say, Laursen) - indeed, Okore and Clark showed that during their period of being in the team together.

Ideally, we'd keep hold of both of them and add to the team with more quality.  Either that or we'd replace them with better players if we got rid of them in January.  The worst case scenario would be letting them go in January and not replacing them or adding to the team at all.  Even then, a big enough fall to see us get relegated?  Unless we pick up a whole heap more injuries/suspensions, I'm not convinced it is.

• Like 2

8 mill for cleverley would be a joke

Westwood is better than him and we paid what 1 - 2 mill for him?

I think it's difficult to compare the two. Westwood was a particularly good bit of business that would be difficult to replicate. As ordinary as Cleverley has been, I think it's a fair price in the market.

But do we need two water carriers?

We already have one i do not see the point in shedding out 8 mill for Cleverley when we can spend it on a creative player we desperately need

After two dire performances by mind has been changed somewhat on Cleverley. We need to see more bang for our buck.

I'm not sure I'm in a position to name names. I don't play football manager. But if he does have ~£8m to spend I've got faith in him to find the right player. Whether that player is available in January remains to be seen.

the question is if Vlaar and Delph left now would we get relegated?

Vlaar is our captain and was very good vs Sunderland, but you'd think we now have Clark playing well, Okore playing well, and Senderos and Baker coming back you would think we might be ok. Hard to predict though either way. 

My opinion only is that Vlaar gets forward and affects play from time to time, not sure that makes a huge difference.

If we lose Delph and didn't sign Cleverly, then we would have Sanchez, Westwood and Richardson. That wouldn't work out well. So we would need to do that rare thing that we hate doing and ensure we have a replacement for Delph lined up before we sell him, preferably not Cleverly. Even having Cleverly is not a replacement for Delph, would it stop us getting relegated?

I don't think we would.  The problem with our squad overall is that it's pretty... average.  Delph has the potential to be a good player, but doesn't really do much for us due to his lack of end product.  Vlaar is a good leader and good defender, but isn't so outstanding that he'd be hard to replace (unlike, say, Laursen) - indeed, Okore and Clark showed that during their period of being in the team together.

Ideally, we'd keep hold of both of them and add to the team with more quality.  Either that or we'd replace them with better players if we got rid of them in January.  The worst case scenario would be letting them go in January and not replacing them or adding to the team at all.  Even then, a big enough fall to see us get relegated?  Unless we pick up a whole heap more injuries/suspensions, I'm not convinced it is.

Better results against teams we really should have beaten would have put us in a position where we could have afforded to lose both of them and survive.

Vlaar I thought we had cover for, and Delph I do not think has a great impact on any game.

But with recent results, I am not so sure we could afford to lose them both.

We looked to be safe at one point last season and then dropped alarmingly quickly down the table.