January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

You cant use the hoolahan thing as a stick to beat lambert with, hoolahan was told he could leave norwich and wasn't in the team then we made a bid for what he was worth & all of a sudden he was back in their team and we were bastards because we were trying to prize there star player away.

Hoolahan would have been ideal here mind.

I certainly wan't trying to beat Lambert with that stick, it was aimed as a dig at the lack of funds from the owner.

Funds he can't give due to rules...

Didn't want Hoolahan, the bloke can't even get a regular start in the Norwich team right now. Really don't think he'd have amounted to much here.

I was just disappointed after the Kioyate move fell through, Lambert didn't have a plan B that summer and signed Kozak instead. Belhanda was vaguely linked around that time aswell.

I read that Belhanda may want out of Kyiv which is no surprise because that league is still far from secure after all the political issues. Lambert may want to ring up his Belhanda's agent and offer Belhanda whatever we were going to offer Delph for wages. 

I don't think there is a reluctance to or think he hasn't tried, in fact there is quite a few names that show he has tried. There is Kiyotake, Hoolanhan, Dembele, Chadli, Tadic, Canales just of the top of my head.

We made moves for all those players at various times and non of them came off for a variety of reasons but predominately due to money.

He signed Cole who is exactly the type of player we need but at least 5 years older than we ideally need.

People can argue he should have signed one instead of Kozak and they may have a point, although personally I don't agree, but it isn't like he has lavished money on other areas of the team/squad. (lets not have another debate on that though folks, we've been there before and there is nothing new to say on it)

I think Lambert knows what is needed but doing something about it is perhaps harder than people sometimes appreciate.

As for Cleverley, we've not signed him, we've loaned him and it very much remains to be seen if we take up the option to make it perm in Jan or not and if we do what it costs. If we spend £7.5m on him then I'd be inclined to agree that the money would have been better spent on a creative player but I don't think we will.

So the cost of Cleverley is currently just the wages and there aren't many attacking creative midfielders available on loan at the cost of just those wages.

If the only reason we are losing out to other clubs for the creative players quoted (Hoolahan aside) is fees and wages then we are not living in the real world when it comes to being a Premiership club.

I look at some of the creative players Southampton signed before Koeman and players Swansea have signed, I find it very hard to understand why they have managed it and we can't. Yes I am over simplifying and taking a narrow view, but our transfer policies and targets are hard to accept.

We massively overspent and completely **** ourselves up because of this.  It takes a while to come back from that sort of thing unless you accept relegation and a complete asset strip of the playing squad.  Even then, it can take years to get back onto an even footing.

The problem is that football fans want instant gratification.  Essentially, they're not fussed about anything behind the scenes as long as results on the pitch are good.  Nobody was worried about all the spending we were doing when finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row, but look how much that has cost us now?  Coupled with the introduction of FFP (or, the "rich get richer" ruling) we've had to haul back hugely on investment - and that's even if the owner is still interested in the club.

• Like 2

What they need in a nutshell: To keep Vlaar and Delph, for now

Window shopping: Villa boss Paul Lambert has the option to turn Tom Cleverley's loan from Manchester United into a permanent deal for £7m in January, but I would not do that if I were him.

Money is tight at Villa Park and I do not think Cleverley has done enough for them to justify that kind of fee. He is too much like Ashley Westwood and, at the minute, I would say that Westwood is better than Cleverley.

Villa should be more concerned about holding on to the players they have already got, with lots of clubs being linked with Ron Vlaar and Fabian Delph, who are both out of contract in the summer.

I would not sell either of them now. Yes, it could mean they leave for nothing at the end of the season but what is the alternative?

Whatever Villa get for them now, it will be nothing to the massive money they will get for being a Premier League team next season, and they need their best players to stay in the top flight.

Linked with: Ivo Pinto 24, FB (Dinamo Zagreb), Lewis Macleod 20, CM(Rangers), Darren Fletcher 30, CM (Manchester United), Alex Mowatt19, CM (Leeds United), Josip Ilicic 26, AM (Fiorentina), Ikechi Anya 26, AM (Watford), Jay Chapman, 20 AM (Michigan State), Bryan Ruiz 29, AM (Fulham), Matt Jarvis 28, FW (West Ham), Andros Townsend 23, FW (Tottenham), Giampaolo Pazzini 30, CF (AC Milan)

What Sav thinks we need http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30592653

What they need in a nutshell: To keep Vlaar and Delph, for now

Window shopping: Villa boss Paul Lambert has the option to turn Tom Cleverley's loan from Manchester United into a permanent deal for £7m in January, but I would not do that if I were him.

Money is tight at Villa Park and I do not think Cleverley has done enough for them to justify that kind of fee. He is too much like Ashley Westwood and, at the minute, I would say that Westwood is better than Cleverley.

Villa should be more concerned about holding on to the players they have already got, with lots of clubs being linked with Ron Vlaar and Fabian Delph, who are both out of contract in the summer.

I would not sell either of them now. Yes, it could mean they leave for nothing at the end of the season but what is the alternative?

Whatever Villa get for them now, it will be nothing to the massive money they will get for being a Premier League team next season, and they need their best players to stay in the top flight.

Linked with: Ivo Pinto 24, FB (Dinamo Zagreb), Lewis Macleod 20, CM(Rangers), Darren Fletcher 30, CM (Manchester United), Alex Mowatt19, CM (Leeds United), Josip Ilicic 26, AM (Fiorentina), Ikechi Anya 26, AM (Watford), Jay Chapman, 20 AM (Michigan State), Bryan Ruiz 29, AM (Fulham), Matt Jarvis 28, FW (West Ham), Andros Townsend 23, FW (Tottenham), Giampaolo Pazzini 30, CF (AC Milan)

What Sav thinks we need http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30592653

...and in the summer it will be why didn't they sell Delph and Vlaar when they had the chance.

Guy changes his mind more than any 'pundit' I have ever known.

'VIlla are going down, they have bought nobody,Villa have bought some good young hungry players, Villa are staying up, Villa have bought a lot of inexperienced rubbish, Villa are going down, Westwood should play for England, VIlla will stay up comfortably, VIlla have no goals, Villa are going down, Villa have Benteke firing, Villa are staying up, I said it from day one, Villa are going down, I always said it and it looks like it is coming to fruition, Villa are on a run, they have some bright young players and when they are confident they are a match for anyone, definitely staying up for me.'

• Like 1