Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

19 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Grudges. I don't really understand how people can stay angry at people across generations. I don't mean the kind of fear and anger that come with incidents such as child abuse or sexual assault or crimes. I mean when people nurse pet hatreds of other people, year in and year out, despite opportunities to clear the air or resolve differences, especially when the source of the grudge is fairly petty or more about hurt pride or just irrational hate. I'm talking about the classic grudge. I'm no saint, and I can hate as much as anyone, but I also think at a certain point, you have some choice in the matter. It's when people consistently choose to hang on to a resentment, even self-destructively, that's what I don't get.

I don’t think I do long slow burn grudges. I’m friends with a couple of people now that would have been in rivals groups or gangs back in the day.

But if someone has proved themselves to be a negative force a couple of times, I’ll generally free myself of bothering with them. People can change, absolutely, but it’s not my job to give them 17 chances. So not a grudge, just a conscious decision not to not to mud fight pigs. Or as William S Burroughs put it:

If, after having been exposed to someone's presence
You feel as if you've lost a quart of plasma
Avoid that presence
You need it like you need pernicious anemia

• Like 2

The perceived importance of generational wealth, with all this Saudi stuff.

Do I want the best most comfortable life for my son with untold opportunity? Yes. Do I want the same for his son? Yes.

Do I want the same for his son's son's son? Not really. I don't know that guy, if I earn 100m he's probably just another entitled rich prick. Make it on your own kid!

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The perceived importance of generational wealth, with all this Saudi stuff.

Do I want the best most comfortable life for my son with untold opportunity? Yes. Do I want the same for his son? Yes.

Do I want the same for his son's son's son? Not really. I don't know that guy, if I earn 100m he's probably just another entitled rich prick. Make it on your own kid!

They do say 90% of generational wealth is gone by the third generation. 

First generation - creation 

Second generation - protection 

Third generation - squander

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I always thought it meant that the kids will blow the inheritance. That's my thing learnt for the day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

My wife's family were historically very, very wealthy. Apparently her great, great grandad built most of the railways in South America or something.

However het parents are not rich (they're comfortable but that's from being very frugal for decades), but her aunt is basically bankrupt. 

The family lost a lot during the 2nd World War (they were on the SS Athenia with a lot of their wealth).

Her gran moved from the USA to the UK in the 60s and apparently splashed the cash to try and be accepted in elite circles (didn't work).

Apparently there was some level of wealth on my side too. My great grandad owned a fairly large cutlery factory in Sheffield, yet my Dad was declared bankrupt. 

Historically it's been easier than people think to lose inherited wealth. Although, I partly suspect some people nowadays are becoming so rich it'll be a lot harder for their descendents to lose the money.

• Like 1

I don't get why I've had a box delivered this morning, with 125 quid's  worth of Warhammer models in it.

I didn't order them, and the original recipient's address has got a label stuck over it with my address on.

Very odd.

I've contacted the seller, no reply so far.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Warhammer you say?

nerd-homer-simpson.gif

Well he contacted me, drove over from Lutterworth to collect the figures, and gave me a nice bottle of wine as a thank you!

Well chuffed ;)

• Like 3

Too often in my life i have voiced opinions on stuff I didn't do my research on, be it restaurants, TV programmes, other countries or various other subjects.....

So.....(deep breath)..... I decided give Love Island a viewing (the other half watches it as a low level entertainment release from her stressful job.

I am proud to say that my original opinion that it is nothing more than a parade of vacuous airhead women and their male "Himbo" counterparts, chattering utter drivel and banale  conversations about eff all important. Total self absorption, the men preening and strutting around like haughty peacocks, creating false bromances whilst trying to line up the next "sort" to get it on with.

I know this programme has been discussed on VT before but the sheep who watch it and take it seriously.....jeez.....is there any hope for our society ?

Rant over !

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Too often in my life i have voiced opinions on stuff I didn't do my research on, be it restaurants, TV programmes, other countries or various other subjects.....

So.....(deep breath)..... I decided give Love Island a viewing (the other half watches it as a low level entertainment release from her stressful job.

I am proud to say that my original opinion that it is nothing more than a parade of vacuous airhead women and their male "Himbo" counterparts, chattering utter drivel and banale  conversations about eff all important. Total self absorption, the men preening and strutting around like haughty peacocks, creating false bromances whilst trying to line up the next "sort" to get it on with.

I know this programme has been discussed on VT before but the sheep who watch it and take it seriously.....jeez.....is there any hope for our society ?

Rant over !

You’ve watched it, now you’re one of them 😂

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Rant over !

If I haven't looked into something either my tone, words or I explicitly say I haven't looked into it. I think Love Island is something I could speak fairly definitely about without having to watch it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve seen enough of Love Island to know that it’s just a bunch of people sat round in swimwear misusing the word ‘literally’ over and over against

i've seen a grand total of 10 mins of love island and came to the same conclusion

If it was called Love missile F111 and they launched the “contestants” in ballistic missiles into a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific and just turned the cameras off after he explosion, I might watch that

• Haha 4

Â