Paul Lambert

limpid

The single biggest influence a manager can have at a football club IMO, is transfer policy.

Is that really true?

I would have thought the main influence a manager has is how the squad plays week in week out.

On that basis, it's really very hard to support Lambo.

Guys are you just looking for the last excuse for Lambert, because he has run out of them. The managers job is 80% vs owner at least for me. Only the manager can install the confidence, motivation, graft and coaching to the players. How do we think Bradford, Orient, QPR beat us. It wasn't about the owner, it was manager motivation. Unless you think Bradford have a better more expensive team than us.

If that's so, how far do you think Jose Mourinho could take this group of players? Besides we've been many of the top teams multiple times each under Lambert, so he can get us motivated for individual games. His main issue is getting any sort of consistency out of this team.

I think MON made some poor decisions with signings and wages. But surely 5 years on we can't blame that era on current events. We've had time to fix issues that he caused.

But that is exactly why I am saying its so important  to get your transfer policy right, because it can make/break a club for years

I'm not just blaming O'Neil, if anything the two that followed were worse because they wasted every penny, not just most of it! 

Lambert should be doing better, but we are asking him to do better on one of the lowest budgets in the league. A massive reason we have such a low budget now is because of awful transfers made by previous managers over a period of almost 5 years. Hard to eradicate that in 2 seasons to be fair. 

Edited by wazzap24

You are right about those two, but what we went and did was buy both of them at the absolute peak of their value, with no hope of ever recouping what we paid, let alone flipping them for a profit. 

And that's my point overall. You need to sign players for the here and now, but you also have to have an eye on the long term and be able to make a profit on a good number of players, in order to keep reinvesting and pushing on. 

Again in I am not defending Lambert per say, but for me it is the single biggest reason why we are struggling and why we now spend less than pretty much everyone except Burnley, which will make it difficult for any manager to be successful over time 

I agree we purchased them both at their peak and also about the bit about we were not going to make a profit on them.

For me that then says you have two expensive players and you have to do absolutely everything you can to get the maximum out of these expensive assets.  If you don't then you've essentially wasted huge outlays on players and on top of not making the profit that you mention but you've also wasted their talent that you purchased them for in the first place.

I agree about the long term view of buying players and reinvesting.

I think we need to make a change now to give another manager the chance to get this group of players performing to a better level so that crowds at Villa Park start increasing. If we do nothing more and more people IMO are going to be put off going and we'll find ourselves further behind clubs we've historically been superior too.

I think MON made some poor decisions with signings and wages. But surely 5 years on we can't blame that era on current events. We've had time to fix issues that he caused.

But that is exactly why I am saying its so important to get your transfer policy right, because it can make/break a club for years

I'm not just blaming O'Neil, if anything the two that followed were worse because they wasted every penny, not just most of it!

Lambert should be doing better, but we are asking him to do better on one of the lowest budgets in the league. A massive reason we have such a low budget now is because of awful transfers made by previous managers over a period of almost 5 years. Hard to eradicate that in 2 seasons to be fair.

I don't think anyone woukd argue he's had a good budget to work with. But he hasn't helped himself with his poor tactics and inability to improve the quality of football. That's not just down to the budget he's been given.

That's a valid point Brumstop and whilst I continue to back PL, I am not adverse to a change if it improves things. 

I still maintain the point though, that if we are to get back back up with the Spurs' and Everton's, then transfer policy will be absolutely vital and the single most important thing we need to get right over the next few seasons. 

Its a a shame PL has done such a poor job with the playing style, because he's arguably done very well on the transfer side of things. 

The only way is down in terms of attendances if we continue to play the way we are

Even the people who are willing to turn up just to support the club will stop coming because there has to be some kind of entertainment value and at the minute it is like watching paint dry 

Edited by AshVilla

The strange thing about Lambert is if you look at his signings, he has bought players with attacking attributes:

Luna, Bennett, Lowton - attacking full backs, weakness defending.

Cissokho - good attacking full back.

Vlaar - good on the ball, weakness is concentration when being bombarded.

Okore - hard to say what he will add, but was know to be good on the ball.

Westwood - good on the ball, good passing. Weakness defending.

Tonev - like to have ball at his feet and run at defence. Weakness shooting and defending.

Senderos - an 'all round' defender but also good with the ball at his feet. Worries about concentrating.

Richardson - better going forward than defending - but hasn't shown much recently.

Sanchez - the first dedicated defensive player of any quality, also shown to have good passing ability.

Cleverley is also a more attacking player - or, is supposed to be that style.

So the question is, why do we continue to invite pressure on - when we have players who would be more suited to a more attacking game? We sit far too deep, invite pressure and the mistakes that go with it!

Kozak & Benteke not included for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

If we stop going and attendance's drop dramatically, 4 years or no 4 year contract. Lambert will be gone.

If we lose the next 3 he will be gone imo

Also, as an aside, a lot of people here now are saying "but the players aren't that bad".  Where has this come from?!  If you read individual player threads, we basically have a midfielder worse than NRC, Gabby and Weimann who are two of the worst attackers in the Premier League, Cleverley who is an absolute waste of money at potentially £8m and Clark and Baker who are terrible defenders.

You VT folk :D

Well I said this a few posts before so may be one of the people you mean.

And you won't find a single derogatory comment from me about any villa player.

Precisely because I do consider that lambo and other managers are capable of assessing quality and if you really were as clueless as a player as fans think you'd be out.

So, again, I DO think the players are good enough.

You v.t.ERS .......???

Stan Collymore:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aston-villa-stars-says-8035114

Stan Collymore has caused a Twitter sensation tonight by claiming that Aston Villa have 'tentatively' sounded out Tony Pulis about a role at the club.

Aston Villa have gone five games without a win or a goal and the pressure is mounting on boss Paul Lambert .

The manager has however had the full support from the board who even tied him down to a new four-year deal in September.

talkSPORT presenter Collymore's latest claim heaps even more pressure on Lambert ahead of the club's home clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

Anything to sell SportsYapper BS

Lerner had allot of faults but this isnt the way he does business.

Has Lerner gone then or does he no longer have faults?

Edited by pacbuddies

Stan Collymore:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aston-villa-stars-says-8035114

Stan Collymore has caused a Twitter sensation tonight by claiming that Aston Villa have 'tentatively' sounded out Tony Pulis about a role at the club.

Aston Villa have gone five games without a win or a goal and the pressure is mounting on boss Paul Lambert .

The manager has however had the full support from the board who even tied him down to a new four-year deal in September.

talkSPORT presenter Collymore's latest claim heaps even more pressure on Lambert ahead of the club's home clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

Oh nice one Stan, supposed Villa fan just what is needed before a really important game.

There is no truth in it.

Â