Paul Lambert

limpid

This home form is appalling. Completely unacceptable. If we stop picking up points away, which is quite likely now we're coming into the important part of the season, then we are in serious trouble.

The home form is shocking. That is a sackable offence on its own

It's been appalling under various managers. Good post-match from Lambert wasn't afraid to criticise the silly mistakes.

Agreed, it hasn't been a fortress for a number of years but it has never been this bad. 

When its down to us to make the play and be on the front foot. We are useless. Our interplay is cumbersome and lazy. Our off the ball movement is non existant, and our set plays are a waste of time. All these issue are down to Paul Lambert and his team, The fact that non of these issues have improved in the last 18 months speaks volumes of the management team.  We have played really well about 5/6 times out of the 20 or so games this year. This is not good enough and should not be accepted.

We are a predominantly counter attacking team and we have the players which suit the method of sitting back and then playing back to front into open spance with pace, However you cannot survive in this league playing one way and one way only. Look at today, Big sam played with a deep narrow back four to cut out the space inbetween the central pairing and we were thwarted with ease. Sam's system was calling for some width to force the space. Albrighton should have been on sooner. He wasnt and we were hit with two quick firey goals because of us switching off at crucial times yet again and our continous failing of not picking up a floating player who plays between the defence and midfield.

Add this to the fact Lambert failed to bring in an experienced CB when he must be well aware like we are of our over reliance on an injury prone Ron Vlaar and its not happy reading,  

We are not a top 8 team currently but i believe a more tactically astute manager who would have made better player purchases in January would have us comfortably in the 8-10th positions with a better platform to build on.

Edited by Haito
  • Like 2

When its down to us to make the play and be on the front foot. We are useless. Our interplay is cumbersome and lazy. Our off the ball movement is non existant, and our set plays are a waste of time. All these issue are down to Paul Lambert and his team, The fact that non of these issues have improved in the last 18 months speaks volumes of the management team.  We have played really well about 5/6 times out of the 20 or so games this year. This is not good enough and should not be accepted.

We are a predominantly counter attacking team and we have the players which suit the method of sitting back and then playing back to front into open spance with pace, However you cannot survive in this league playing one way and one way only. Look at today, Big sam played with a deep narrow back four to cut out the space inbetween the central pairing and we were thwarted with ease. Sam's system was calling for some width to force the space. Albrighton should have been on sooner. He wasnt and we were hit with two quick firey goals because of us switching off at crucial times yet again and our continous failing of not picking up a floating player who plays between the defence and midfield.

Add this to the fact Lambert failed to bring in an experienced CB when he must be well aware like we are of our over reliance on an injury prone Ron Vlaar and its not happy reading,  

We are not a top 8 team currently but i believe a more tactically astute manager who would have made better player purchases in January would have us comfortably in the 8-10th positions with a better platform to build on.

Three years is incredibly generous considering he still has another year on his present deal. I'd given him a new two year deal tbh.

Says it all under him that you can count on one hand the number of times we a)actually win a home game and B) actually played well in a home game.

The most disappointing thing about today's result and performance is that it was a not a surprise. The surprise comes when we get a positive result and even more surprising if we combine that with a good performance.

I have been one of these that have been banging on for a while saying that although we have been 10th/11th for some time something is very wrong and we needed to be careful that we didn't become complacent about being dragged into a relegation battle. I think today has again shown that we are in the main a poor side, capable of producing the odd very good performance, but more often than not found wanting.

We are so reliant on three or four players it is frightening. When they are out injured, such as Vlaar, or off form/out of sorts as was the case with both Benteke and Gabby today then that is it. We have little else.

We lack leadership when Vlaar is out and the whole defense looks a shambles and unorganized. We lack a leader in the middle of the park although Delph does his best but is often now trying to do too much. Going forward we lack creativity and up top at home we simply don't get the kind of space we do away and this takes out the threat of Gabbys pace. Although today we played it all wrong as Gabby should have been played out wide much earlier.

All the above issues aren't new. They have been there all season and some of them for much longer. They could and should have been addressed by now. They haven't, and I don't place all the blame at Lambers door for that, but the fact that they haven't means we are once again staring another end of season relegation fight in the face.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Offering him a new deal makes zero sense.

Why? He looks like someone who could keep us in the Premier League on the cheap in a sort of Wigan-like model. Then, eventually, if a new owner comes in they're very likely to want their own manager so Lambert would get a good payoff. Win-win for him and Lerner.

Doesn't it show our level of ambition from the board that they've started contract discussions?

I think you post a very relevant question. Why would Lambert go to Villa with the restrictions and conditions that it looks like he has to work under. Ok, he might get a lot of cash, but that can not be enough for a manager that has jumped into a better club when opportunity came after success in his clubs (ok, first club an exception).

This is highly speculative, but I think that he is doing a job for an owner preparing to sell the club. If Lambert succeeds in slashing costs to a minimum, so that Lerner can recoup as much as possible selling the club, Lerner might reward Lambert with a lucrative contract before a new owner comes in.

I do not think Lerner is the owner next year.

Edited by DeepDish
  • Like 1

He needs to be signing two creative midfielders this summer. I will properly judge him then. If the football's still rubbish I'm all for sacking him.

So yeah hopefully this new contract will ban him from signing any more left backs (not counting Bertrand) and more 6ft + striker lumps.

What more credible than your "we play better when we go 2 goals behind argument"

All I am saying we had chances to equal the score. Why is that bad? I was ecstatic when we went two nil behind, obviously. 

I think what goes on during a matchday speaks volumes when it comes to arguments for sacking Lambert and there are probably at least a dozen stats to back them up

Who is this great manager to come in and rejuvenate the club? I want to know. The truth is there is nobody that will improve us. If you want Lambert out and a better manager in, Lerner needs to sell the club ASAP.

The truth is this is opinion and can never be proven right nor wrong due to too many unknowns and variables.  But given there are around 200k football clubs in the world each with a manager or coach it is statistically highly unlikely you are correct.

• Like 3

He needs to be signing two creative midfielders this summer. I will properly judge him then. If the football's still rubbish I'm all for sacking him.

So yeah hopefully this new contract will ban him from signing any more left backs (not counting Bertrand) and more 6ft + striker lumps.

He also needs Okore and Vlaar to be fit together for a consistent run of games.

be careful there arent any thorns in those straws you keep grasping.

How the heck do you know what okore will do, he has never really played for us so its guess work. Based on what we do see from lambert his tactics and his signings then we cannot really expect anything but struggle and totally disjointed negative weak football.

• Like 2

Doesn't it show our level of ambition from the board that they've started contract discussions?

I think you post a very relevant question. Why would Lambert go to Villa with the restrictions and conditions that it looks like he has to work under. Ok, he might get a lot of cash, but that can not be enough for a manager that has jumped into a better club when opportunity came after success in his clubs (ok, first club an exception).

This is highly speculative, but I think that he is doing a job for an owner preparing to sell the club. If Lambert succeeds in slashing costs to a minimum, so that Lerner can recoup as much as possible selling the club, Lerner might reward Lambert with a lucrative contract before a new owner comes in.

I do not think Lerner is the owner next year.

Nice theory but hogwash. Any potential buyers would do due diligence on senior staff / contracts / pay offs etc and offset purchase offers accordingly

And that would make up for an absent midfield and attack how exactly?

Â