Paul Lambert

limpid

We had two insanely lucky wins against Man City and Saints, without them we would be in the bottom 3 and to be honest based on our performances if we were there Id say we could have no complaints.

We are lucky we aren't there now but it looks like its only a matter of time. Without them wins would Lambert be sacked? You would hope so.

Wins are wins. Wish people would stop trying to take those away from us just to fit an agenda.

No ones taking them away but I and others at the time said that playing that way and relying on moments of individual brilliance was not something we could continue to do.

And it hasn't been.

It works both ways, which often seems to be forgotten when people go on about those "lucky" wins against Southampton and Man City.

Funnily enough there is a general correlation between possession and our success this season - generally the more we have of it the worse we do. I don't think those wins were as "lucky" as some make out - those are just the sort of games that play to our strengths.

We had two insanely lucky wins against Man City and Saints, without them we would be in the bottom 3 and to be honest based on our performances if we were there Id say we could have no complaints.

We are lucky we aren't there now but it looks like its only a matter of time. Without them wins would Lambert be sacked? You would hope so.

Wins are wins. Wish people would stop trying to take those away from us just to fit an agenda.

And the performances are shit. We didn't even play well in them games.

We have failed to create chances or even test keepers against real average sides over and over. West ham today, Stoke away, Cardiff at home, Fulham away, Palace at home, Swansea at home, Hull away, Newcastle at home.

This might be a results business but performances show long term where you are going.

He is just saying that we are lucky not to be in the relegation zone. Thats very true and it's frightening really. Lambert told Benteke that this season would be nothing like last season. Well, it will. Might be even worse too.

We have failed to create chances or even test keepers against real average sides over and over. West ham today, Stoke away, Cardiff at home, Fulham away, Palace at home, Swansea at home, Hull away, Newcastle at home.

This might be a results business but performances show long term where you are going.

As I said above, we played to our strengths in those games, and certainly far better than games like today or against Palace.

He is just saying that we are lucky not to be in the relegation zone. Thats very true and it's frightening really. Lambert told Benteke that this season would be nothing like last season. Well, it will. Might be even worse too.

Are we really "lucky" to not be in the relegation zone? Not saying we've been great but we've been in and around lower mid-table all season.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

No ones taking them away but I and others at the time said that playing that way and relying on moments of individual brilliance was not something we could continue to do.

And it hasn't been.

Must say I've never known a season where when we've had an excellent result....we've followed it with a terrible run of form. MON had many faults as a manager but whenever we had a good result we followed it up with a nice unbeaten run.

With Lambert it's a big weakness. Started when we beat Liverpool gloriously 3-1 last season and followed up with 15-0.

This season we beat Arsenal opening day....and lost our next three (I'll accept that as two of them were v Liverpool and Chelsea). More worryingly we beat Man. City....and failed to score in our next four league games.

We were lucky to beat Southampton but still a win there would boost confidence.....4 straight league defeats thereafter.

And after an excellent 4 points against Liverpool and WBA....two straight defeats and counting.

Dunno what it is but it is a definition of a mid table team...good result here and there but momentum quickly evaporates.

Its all Lerners fault, ask BJ10.

Haha guess its just a coincidence we've been shit with 3 different managers then.

Houllier didn't have the time, second season in my opinion would have been better. McLeish was shite before he came, Lambert, blatently inept tactically.

Laudrup, worth a punt with the same budget as Lambert I think he would do a little better like he has with swansea. Their dip in form has obviously been due to behind the scenes issues.

• Like 1

The thing is with the Man City and Southampton games specifically, we didn't simply roll over and somehow get lucky, we went out there with a game plan that worked. It was clear in those games that we didn't want the ball, we wanted to defend off the ball and hit on the counter, it worked and we won both of those games. We tried to do the same against Everton and it was working for some time, probably until Vlaar came off if you want a determining factor as to why we eventually lost.

It really isn't simply 'being lucky' and if you really want to use that phrase, we have been unlucky also in games where maybe we deserved more than we got. As of late our performances have not been up to scratch on a whole, but Man City and Southampton were certainly not just down to luck, I think people should give it a rest trying to use those two games as some sort of reason to be annoyed.

• Like 2

Laudrup and Lambert have exactly the same records and despit the massive difference in football thier is no difference between us and Swansea

I don't want Laudrup at all.

However, if you're going to say this, I suppose you have to ask what do fans prefer to watch? I think most would prefer nice tidy play, where we show a bit of technique and ability rather than humping it in the air and all battling for it in a big mass underneath. I don't know, but it's what I prefer to watch.

Pulis and Allardyce get slated on a national level for the type of rubbish we're being made to sit through.

*edit* Laudrup also won a trophy in his first season, beating a team from three divisions below that knocked us out across two legs :thumb:

Edited by Tomaszk

Lambert's style isn't as rigid as Allardyce or Pulis. We do sometimes play long ball (especially this season) but far from all the time.

Noooo! Niether do Allardyce or Pulis. Actually think Pulis has played less long ball than us this season under Palace!

Lambert's style isn't as rigid as Allardyce or Pulis. We do sometimes play long ball (especially this season) but far from all the time.

I agree!

This is why it's so annoying when he brings on Holt for Weimann, who has just about got going this season, and we then smash the ball long for the last 20 mins of a game!

Why do it against West Ham as well? A team who are full of big meat heads like Collins and Demel who will just put their collective nuts on it and see the game out no problem.

The villa job is just too big for Lambert. He is failing given the pressures and demands of a club of our size and facing the challenges that it does at the moment. Football is littered with similar stories over the years and will no doubt be so again in the years to come.

Lambert does not the right skills needed, we see that time and time again through his tenure as villa boss. There is no evidence to suggest that he can succeed either, and despite as many blind faith platitudes on forums like this.

So Paul just go, depart, leave, thanks for the very few good times and good luck in whatever club decides to have a punt on you.

• Like 1

How can you say this?

From watching games.

Then I have to question what you're watching or your memory of games.

2/20 for long balls per game.

Â