Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambert said after the match that "too much possession can be detrimental."

Is this true? Christ.

Well he is probably right with regard to Villa players having too much possession as they haven't got a scooby doo what to do with it. Much better not to have the ball when having it means that you go backwards, sideways and every which way except into the back of the opposition net.

13 PL games now this season where we have failed to score. Over a third of our games. Totally atrocious and unacceptable.

I don't believe whatever realistically happens in our final games will change the opinion of fans and that Lambert's time is up with the majority of them. Truth is, no one knows what Lerner is thinking about the situation, if the club is up for sale or when it will be sold. I do think another season under Lambert's leadership (which I still think is likely) will send us down. 

I wonder if Lambert is pondering where it has all gone wrong for him. Two years ago along with Martinez and Rodgers he was considered one of the brightest young managers in the country. Now whilst Rodgers and Martinez stock has risen Lambert it seems is heading down the same path as the likes of Jewell and Coyle who looked to have very promising careers in front of them but were then found wanting.

What I believe I see is the bigger picture. ie Proud History Brighter future.Lambert is doing a good job & he is trying to lay foundations & has largely been hindered by long term injuries to his major investments. ie Benteke, Kozak, Okore.

He needs to be given a hell of a lot more time yet to properly develop his project.

I still believe he is the right man to take us forward.

I have to agree with this. Lambert certainly has a bigger plan for the team, and he should be given time to see it through.

i don't disagree with your point as such, but the argument against lambert would be his 'vision' this season had been about having a tight defence and hitting the ball up to benteke/holt/kozak, admittedly his tactics this season to a degree have come because of injurys to players at certain times, but it doesn't excuse the results.

the fans (or majority of them) stuck with lambert last season because the football was a lot bottle, there was a belief about the team despite the poor results at times, wd actually played some cracking football last season, mistakes and naivety undone what we could do going forward, it seems this season we have done away with the fast attacking play, in favour of staying behind the ball, in not saying there is anything wrong with defensive football, but only if it gets you results, which hasn't happened enough this season.

My video from Palace away yesterday, he has lost the away fans now... ''Don't know what your doing'' chants and at 51secs ''We want Lambert Out''

Not only am I shocked at the chants but the players demeanour after the game had ended. Sure you can be disappointed at losing but something much worse in the body language like that type of performance and result was inevitable.

My video from Palace away yesterday, he has lost the away fans now... ''Don't know what your doing'' chants and at 51secs ''We want Lambert Out''

Not only am I shocked at the chants but the players demeanour after the game had ended. Sure you can be disappointed at losing but something much worse in the body language like that type of performance and result was inevitable.

Shaggy only 4 players come to clap!! Albrighton to start, Vlaar, Delph and Lowton, Delph was upset and had his hands over his head looking at floor after they walked off

Lambert ran down tunnel as fast as he could!! Mr Aston Villa (Gabby) ran off down there too (Thought he was meant to love the club according to some fan, he only loves his wallet and his reported £65k a week wages) and only 4 yes 4 players bothered to clap away fans who was loud right through to one min before when they finally turned on Lambert! as he waited till we was a goal down to bring on Albrighton!

Edited by Villan4Life

Replacing Lambert will only make a difference if Lerner sells the club (which is looking likely at the moment).

Presuming that no other manager could any better than Lambert's current record is not only being short sighted it also smacks of sour grapes that you have been wrong to defend him.

Replacing Lambert will only make a difference if Lerner sells the club (which is looking likely at the moment).

Presuming that no other manager could any better than Lambert's current record is not only being short sighted it also smacks of sour grapes that you have been wrong to defend him.

Opinions eh?

I noticed this. Even before the game had finished no one was interested heads were down and no one could be bothered to chase the ball. A mate who was at the game said Crystal Palace were useless but our team refused to run off the ball and there was zero enthusiasm, as if Lambert had upset them at half time. Do they all realise we are in a relegation fight. Lambert has a huge problem with these players and its showing!!

Opinions eh?

Better than being told to **** off.
  • Like 1

I wonder if Lambert is pondering where it has all gone wrong for him. Two years ago along with Martinez and Rodgers he was considered one of the brightest young managers in the country. Now whilst Rodgers and Martinez stock has risen Lambert it seems is heading down the same path as the likes of Jewell and Coyle who looked to have very promising careers in front of them but were then found wanting.

I don't think Lambert was ever in the same category of managerial competence as Rodgers and Martinez.

I have said before, when Rodgers and Lambert were considered by many to be the best things since sliced bread Liverpool got the crust and we got the crumbs.

Totally agree.

BlDhXk0IYAA5LiW.jpg

How long till national papers also get wind of Lamberts excuses as well with image i posted above, if a manager with better record like Pardew gets it, then why shouldn't Lambert?

With such a poor team it's amazing that they managed to beat Benevolent FC during this period.  :D

What I believe I see is the bigger picture. ie Proud History Brighter future.Lambert is doing a good job & he is trying to lay foundations & has largely been hindered by long term injuries to his major investments. ie Benteke, Kozak, Okore.

He needs to be given a hell of a lot more time yet to properly develop his project.

I still believe he is the right man to take us forward.

I have to agree with this. Lambert certainly has a bigger plan for the team, and he should be given time to see it through.

i don't disagree with your point as such, but the argument against lambert would be his 'vision' this season had been about having a tight defence and hitting the ball up to benteke/holt/kozak, admittedly his tactics this season to a degree have come because of injurys to players at certain times, but it doesn't excuse the results.

the fans (or majority of them) stuck with lambert last season because the football was a lot bottle, there was a belief about the team despite the poor results at times, wd actually played some cracking football last season, mistakes and naivety undone what we could do going forward, it seems this season we have done away with the fast attacking play, in favour of staying behind the ball, in not saying there is anything wrong with defensive football, but only if it gets you results, which hasn't happened enough this season.

100% agree. If you want your team to be dull, at least try to get a clean sheet versus the lowest scorers in the league Paul. Last season there was a touching naivety to the side but on the good days we did play some good football, along with the hammerings. This year the performances have probably got worse, certainly duller, and its more and more likely at best we will finish in the same place as last year. Where is the progress, even from a low base?

We used to have the label of being a 'good away team' but that has been lost now.

Lambert seems to think that making us hard to beat means dropping Albrighton, the only player up front who tries and seems to care.

But the main issue seems to be that even when we have what you would theoretically call our 'best 11' on the pitch we are no more likely to win, we just have an added expectation of capability.

Looking at that team yesterday and no Villa fan would believe that side could win, cept for a freak performance or piece of luck. Just as you've seen us repeatedly outplayed by lower league teams in the cups, anything short of our first eleven is woeful. Our effective tactics and formations fold inwards the more players we lose.

None of our youth players have had a sniff all season, or even last season - I doubt that would have a massive impact but you'd think if there was even a remote chance they could do something different then it would be worth it. Robinson, Burke, Johnson have all been on the bench but never got more than three minutes between them. Somehow after doing nothing on loan Bowery is back on the bench and stays there because you know Lambert rates him as highly as the fans do. If we do limp to safety then a line in the sand has to be drawn and decent investment has to come in, if not a new manager.

Only Delph, Benteke (when fit) Guzan and Vlaar at an absolute push would get into any other Prem's team eleven or squad. The rest are worse than Championship standard.

But you can list the opportunities Lambert has had to put things right and failures.

1) He bombs Warnock out and replaces him cheaply with Bennett, realises Bennett can't defend so buys Luna even cheaper. Realise Luna can't defend either and buys Betrand on loan who is half decent.

2) Buys Vlaar to play alongside Clark. Realises Clark isn't up to it, plays Baker. Finally realises neither are up to it and signs Okore - a good but inexperienced player who despite some people branding as the saviour of our defence has not proven that yet, although i'm sure he will be great when he does return. Not Lambert's fault Okore got injured but again aside from Betrand - Lambert didn't make another NECESSARY defensive signing in Jan.

3) Buys Tonev and Helenius cheaply, gives one a chance, gives the other a snowball's chance in hell. You could argue both were/are worth a punt. But surely would have been easier to just buy one decent midfielder with the combined transfers and wages???

4) Buys Kozak a decent but seemingly expensive (by our standards) Benteke replacement, despite the fact Benteke hasn't yet left. Buys Holt on loan to replace the injured Benteke replacement, a decent enough player whose best days are far behind him and couldn't get a game in the championship.

5) Has failed to bring a single youth player into the starting eleven. Not even Carruthers and Johnson who are now 21 now and surely old enough to be given a chance???

6) Say what you like about the bomb squad players and policy, but ultimately all that has done is take a load of players on high wages and reduce their transfer values to zero whilst still paying the majority or all of their wages for no benefit at all.

7) Jordan Bowery.

8) Failing to buy a creative midfielder, or any single midfielder that can consistently do a decent job in any position.

I know there are plenty of mitigating circumstances with injuries and the legacy left by other managers and players like Bacuna have done well at times, but on the whole Lambert has had enough opportunities to at least make us into a lower mid table side. But this is the worst era I have known as a Villa fan since we got relegated.

Lambert is up there alongside O'Leary, Graham Taylor (second coming) and McCleish as awful clueless managers.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 4

Â