Paul Lambert

limpid

Anyway, how many of those alleged 90% actually were more than ecstatic when Lambert took over from McLeish? About 90% of you or maybe even more?

I didn't want Lambert at the time, but was happy to see McLeish gone. I never thought that Lambert was pretty much on par with how bad McLeish was. Mcleish never lost 4 league games in a row, but lambert has done it twice.

Respect to you for being in the Lambert in camp. You must be seeing something that impresses you.

Respect to you too Daniel.

What I believe I see is the bigger picture. ie Proud History Brighter future.Lambert is doing a good job & he is trying to lay foundations & has largely been hindered by long term injuries to his major investments. ie Benteke, Kozak, Okore.

He needs to be given a hell of a lot more time yet to properly develop his project.

I still believe he is the right man to take us forward.

• Like 1

If the away fans have turned then the home fans need to turn to. (Turn up & turn on). The game against Southampton is massive & the  stadium needs to be rockin' not mockin'.

The away fans are a lot more loyal and resolute than the home ones. If they have turned, so have the rest.

This was something we spoke about at the match yesterday. Looking around and seeing everyone chanting Lambert out, we recognised a lot of faces that were chanting his name at the Norwich game when McLeish had us.

The problems run deeper than Lambert.

So what.  Two years on, and he's still playing pitifully awful football.  I don't care what restrictions he's working under, teams like Palace and Fulham shouldn't be doing the double over us.  Lerner didn't make him play 3 central defenders.

Exactly. The idea that fans aren't allowed to recant their position on the manager once he proves to be a failure is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Southampton will be a toxic atmosphere.

I hope the performance means that this isn't the case. The two worst reactions to a manager I have seen at Villa Park was when we went a goal down and at full time against Wolves in 2011 when Houllier got dogs abuse. Then again against Bolton in 2012 when McLeish was in charge. I don't want to see Lambert receiving that level of reaction as that will inevitably mean we have lost the game.

This was something we spoke about at the match yesterday. Looking around and seeing everyone chanting Lambert out, we recognised a lot of faces that were chanting his name at the Norwich game when McLeish had us.

So what.  Two years on, and he's still playing pitifully awful football.  I don't care what restrictions he's working under, teams like Palace and Fulham shouldn't be doing the double over us.  Lerner didn't make him play 3 central defenders.

But you should care about restrictions, it's part of the problem, you can't ignore parts of it.

Is two years enough? Are we going to get the hump every 2yrs and demand a change? The circle continues.

The pattern is repeating itself.

This will be the third time now. We need to direct our anger elsewhere now and like previous yrs

Support the boys till we get over the line.

He is seemingly way out of his depth at this level, makes baffling tactical decisions and is responsible for some of the worst and most clueless football I've seen us play.

Just look at the match thread for the Palace game; for about the last half an hour, at least, it appears that everyone apart from Lambert could see the game was increasingly slipping away from us and were screaming for a change and he just wouldn't make it, until we went a goal down.

Not understanding this point at all that the people who first wanted him in now want him out, so what? He's had a fair crack of the whip, imo, and he's simply not good enough.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

But you should care about restrictions, it's part of the problem, you can't ignore parts of it.

Is two years enough? Are we going to get the hump every 2yrs and demand a change? The circle continues.

This will be the third time now. We need to direct our anger elsewhere now and like previous yrs

Lambert WILL NEVER get us over the line.  Houllier wasn't well enough to continue so you can't count that.  He was virtually retired when we got him, and has hasn't had a front line managerial job since.  The stress was/is too much for his heart.  McLeish was the wrong man, whatever the circumstances, and now it's clear that Lambert can't cut it either.  Yes of course Lerner is the main problem, but that doesn't totally excuse Lambert's piss poor performance.

We all know exactly where we are right now.

The question up for debate is are we moving to a place of acceptability or are we being fed procrastinating excuses of why we are where we are and the manager has no idea how to improve it without significant funds, that arguably we could could all make a success of the team with.

Lambert is expecting money in the summer to further improve his squad, so far he has been restricted in the AMOUNT of money he has had to spend, but he has had some. I suspect the Benteke money was what he was mentally gambling on, now that avenue has closed and he is left isolated.

I presume Randy is saying no more money until i see some Progress, so its what comes first the chicken or the egg.

It strikes me its like history repeating its self over again, (when I heard him say i phone the gaffer for advice from time to time (Mon) my heart sank, I thought its just a matter of time, but hoping I was wrong) Paul Lambert has had some money and in my view done not much with it except Benteke..... even Bertrand was at fault for the goal yesterday and has been for a few more, and he has gone backwards to when he first come to us....something is very wrong with the villa set up.

This mythical progress( my opinion) that seems to be like a last desperate bid to hang on to a job that is clearly slipping away, is something the owner ( like him or loathe him) is not buying in the same way a minority of  fans are.

I don't think Randy will deal with Lambert in the same direct way that HDE would....He will ( smoke him out) by denying him money and forcing him to trade out of what bit he has bought, in much the same way he thought he was going to do with O'Neill, except O'Neill walked, maybe he thought he couldn't trade out of them.

Whatever we all think is the correct way of dealing with it, I think Lerner has his doubts about Lambert now and will distance himself from any further investment in the team, despite how sensible it is to do.....This is going to be a long drawn out battle of wills i suspect and the only losers will be US.

The 3 of them are at fault for me, but i would suspect the politics of who can come out smelling of roses is their only issue right now.

In the meantime the team just flounders in the background.

• Like 2

....which is why the man needs to go right away. He's going to contribute towards creating a poisonous atmosphere for the final few games of the season when our fragile bunch of poor lambs need total encouragement.

tbh I think he'll resign after the final game

Lambert said after the match that "too much possession can be detrimental." Can you imagine Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup etc, etc saying that! Yesterday's performance and Lambert's post match comments clearly indicate a limited manager who is out of his depth. How can you train and improve a team when your whole football philosophy is all about not having the ball and hoping to hit on the counter! 

• Like 1

2 years is enough time to see a degree of progress or pockets of progress , not the complete thing....Its the crocusses we are looking for, not the fully fledged sun flower.

many managers have gone in and made their mark with little money to spend in less than that time....This money thing ( whilst it is significant depending on what level you want to achieve) is a bit of a "cop out" for me.

It doesn't take 2 years before you can explain to discerning football fans,what you are actually trying to do in an after match interview, rather than electing to speak in nondescript cliches that mean nothing i.e " I have told the players "They must win the next match" " we go again" 

I can't remember the last time he looked eye ball to eye ball with the interviewer and give a complete low down of the game and made sensible references to the events, Like Martinez,Allrdyce, Rodgers or Bobby Robson( when he was alive)

The man is lacking dreadfully.....its now like watching Billy McNeill

Lambert said after the match that "too much possession can be detrimental." Can you imagine Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup etc, etc saying that! Yesterday's performance and Lambert's post match comments clearly indicate a limited manager who is out of his depth. How can you train and improve a team when your whole football philosophy is all about not having the ball and hoping to hit on the counter! 

.....Frightning & cringeworthy

Edited by TRO

This has been said I'm sure but I cannot understand a single Villa fan that wants Lambert to be in charge for next season. I dont see how they have the clubs best interests in mind if they do.

• Like 3

The fans had enough yesterday by the sounds of it. A loss on Saturday and I can see the home fans making it clear they're not happy. A few games of the season left to make it clear he's not wanted next season.

• Like 1

This has been said I'm sure but I cannot understand a single Villa fan that wants Lambert to be in charge for next season. I dont see how they have the clubs best interests in mind if they do.

Just because some fans have different opinions to you doesn't mean they don't also have the club's best interests in mind.

For me personally it would depend on a number of things: how we end this season, how much money we'll have to spend in the summer, who Lerner will replace Lambert with.

At the same time last season we had 34 points from 33 games and were lying in 15th place 3 points above the relegation zone. Now we have 34 points from 33 games and are lying in 14th place 4 points above the relegation zone.

Last season we went on to claim 7 points from our last 5 games but somehow I don't see this happening this season.

I think if we can get 3 points from our last 5 games we should just crawl over the line and be safe but by no stretch of the imagination can I see how the hell we will have made any progress over the last season.

If someone can provide me with some cold hard facts and solid evidence that we have then I am all for listening.

Â