Paul Lambert

limpid

If Barry was to come in as player-manager I think they might go for a director of football as well with Lerner seemingly being so big on Premiership experience, that's if it's Lerner who makes the call.

I don't think that the present owner will be here.

Barry is a player highly regarded by those who watch him, and he has more recently performed with distinction for a club with wealthy owners.

If you are buying the Villa, don't have an obvious manager, need experience on the pitch, and to bring a disgruntled, albeit reserved, support on side, who would you call?

ghost busters?

• Like 3

He's had such an easy ride so far in my opinion and that's mainly because he isn't Alex McLeish.

I've just read his Birmingham Mail interview where he states "We're not in a relegation battle" and "There are plenty of teams worse than ourselves"

Laughable comments having been beaten by arguably two of the worst teams in the league in consecutive games. I can remember when McLeish was in his last few games when we lost to Bolton at home and the atmosphere towards the manager was full of hate and spite. Don't think we're far away from a similar scenario

We aren't in a relegation fight though. We are just on a very poor run of form.

You'd save yourself a lot of time and energy if you just say "Paul Lambert says or does XYZ, therefore I agree".

He's had such an easy ride so far in my opinion and that's mainly because he isn't Alex McLeish.

I've just read his Birmingham Mail interview where he states "We're not in a relegation battle" and "There are plenty of teams worse than ourselves"

Laughable comments having been beaten by arguably two of the worst teams in the league in consecutive games. I can remember when McLeish was in his last few games when we lost to Bolton at home and the atmosphere towards the manager was full of hate and spite. Don't think we're far away from a similar scenario

You'd save yourself a lot of time and energy if you just say "Paul Lambert says or does XYZ, therefore I agree".

I don't agree with him that we're not in a relegation battle but there's no need for a comment like that.

Not everything is black and white.

Edited by Mantis

Lambert looked rattled in his post-match press conference and repeated a variation of the phrase “we’ve got to win our next game” five times. He also insisted that single victory would be enough to pull them clear of the bottom three in the Premier League table. “We’re in that group,” he said. “You’re not in [the pack], you’re still a few points above, just trying to win the next game, that’s all we can do.”

Lambert also maintained his recent line that Villa have progressed immeasurably from last season, even if the actual numbers of the table don’t indicate that.

When pressed on it, and why the Villa manager thinks they’ve improved, he became agitated in hinting at issues behind the scenes. “You don’t know what’s happened,” Lambert said, before adding: “It’s private, I’m not going to tell.”

That minor dispute in the post-match press conference displayed more fight than his team had shown on the day. Although Lambert argued it was an “even” game that could have “gone either way”, the reality was rather different, especially so in the second half.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crystal-palace-1-aston-villa-0-match-report-jason-puncheon-ensures-palace-are-all-but-safe-9256503.html

He is clearly losing it. I grow more and more confident that he won't be here next season.

Edited by Isa

I admire your positivity but we are in a relegation fight yet again. We'll stay up but it's disgraceful that it has happened for the 4th season running. I'm pro Lambert but today to continue playing 3 centre halves against 1 forward was shocking. Lerner has a lot to answer for but Lambert is close to losing my support because of his tactical ineptness.

I agree we have injuries to key players but he needs to be accountable for fundamental errors like his formation today.

• Like 1

How many points clear do you think we'll finish?

When pressed on it, and why the Villa manager thinks they’ve improved, he became agitated in hinting at issues behind the scenes. “You don’t know what’s happened,” Lambert said, before adding: “It’s private, I’m not going to tell.”

Does anyone think this means he knows of a take over and that he wont be about when they come in?

4 points off the bottom three with 5 games to go and you say that? LOL

Aye managers tend to talk in riddles and given nonsensical answers in interviews when they know their team will shortly be up, McLeish and O'Leary were both like that aswell.

Although the behind the scenes comment intrigues me.

• Like 2

“You don’t know what’s happened,” Lambert said, before adding: “It’s private, I’m not going to tell.”

:) He sounds like one of the ITKs on here. "I know something, but I'm not telling."

• Like 1

It's sad, because I think he's an alright bloke (more so than our last four managers) but I just can't see it working.

On what basis is he a better bloke than McLeish exactly?

I think they are both fundamentally decent people. I shade it to Lambert because McLeish spoke the club down a bit to cover his short comings, whereas Lambert talks the club up (which doesn't hide anything) - talking about European Cups and our size.

Could probably have said five there too, DOL was an arse.

• Like 1

Does anyone think this means he knows of a take over and that he wont be about when they come in?

Very strange comments. Seems to imply that something negative behind the scenes could have impacted the players.

Or maybe there really could be a takeover and the majority of the squad know their villa careers could soon be in jeopardy. Half the squad aren't even good enough for this league.

“You don’t know what’s happened,” Lambert said, before adding: “It’s private, I’m not going to tell.”

:) He sounds like one of the ITKs on here. "I know something, but I'm not telling."

Still a very strange statement to com out with

Lambert will quit. I think he is getting pissed off with Lerner/Faulkner. I suspect the goalposts have been moved and that maybe things Lambert was promised haven't materialised.

I could be wrong but that's what I think

If Barry was to come in as player-manager I think they might go for a director of football as well with Lerner seemingly being so big on Premiership experience, that's if it's Lerner who makes the call.

I don't think that the present owner will be here.

Barry is a player highly regarded by those who watch him, and he has more recently performed with distinction for a club with wealthy owners.

If you are buying the Villa, don't have an obvious manager, need experience on the pitch, and to bring a disgruntled, albeit reserved, support on side, who would you call?

I suppose it all depends on who the new owners are. The fact that they're different from Randy might get the fans on side to begin with. Might be worth them looking at getting someone like Cortese on board although I know he's been linked with much bigger clubs than us.

Lambert will quit. I think he is getting pissed off with Lerner/Faulkner. I suspect the goalposts have been moved and that maybe things Lambert was promised haven't materialised.

I could be wrong but that's what I think

Maybe but how should that affect the team at this stage of the season?

Â