Paul Lambert

limpid

Well Shearer didn't think it was a foul so i guess it's a matter of opinion. But if ex players are saying they didn't even think it was a foul then surely a yellow card is harsh?

Shearer thought Guzan's "foul" on Suarez was a stonewall penalty, but Hart's challenge on Boyd definitely wasn't. The guy is completely inconsistent and a total cretin.

If Shearer didn't think it was a foul then we can be quite certain it was.

Lol fair enough. My point was more about just because an ex footballer says something. Doesn't make it true.

Well Shearer is living proof that you're right about that! 

Again I disagree. Not every foul has to be a yellow card. Referee has to use a bit of common sense. Oh well, who cares, we won!

Not every foul is a yellow card of course, but every foul in that situation is a yellow card. It's a professional foul to stop a break.

The red card was a poor decision but considering how badly we got robbed at their ground id say it evens things up. Yes we were under pressure but they had yet to really work Guzan and we looked organised. It was a solid performance and we deserved a bit of luck.

I've been harsh on Lambert at times because I think if any other manager had a record like his he would be sacked a long time ago. But this is more of a frustration towards the owners and what they are trying to achieve at this club. There is no ambition for Aston Villa so as long as Lambert keeps us in this league each year on a shoe string budget it's job well done.

It's nights like yesterday (every few years or so) we can look forward to at least. I just hope Lambert can continue to find gems like Bentake and Vlaar to replace them when they eventually leave.

The red card was 100% correct. Willian was on a yellow and Delph was passed him. It was a cynical foul, there wasn't much contact but he nudged him over and made zero attempt to win the ball. He blatantly stopped the attack without trying to play the ball. I was screaming for the red card as soon as he made the foul.

I don't even think it was a foul. Have you seen it a second time mate?

These guys are running really quick...the slightest of touches can bring you down....Willian did just enough to "derail" Delph, Delph himself had his arm out to stop the challenge, But Willian was behind him and after dislodging him pulled his arm up to indicate he hadn't touched him, but he had....These guys are stealth like they know exactly how to do it....trained with Fagin( just joking, but thats equivalent to the skill they use)

....it was Yellow alright....Delph would no way have fallen as he was clean through, he was "derailed"

Absolutely. And Delph is too honest to go down easily. He was clipped by Willian, maybe not cynically, but nonetheless it is a yellow card offence.

Lol'd at this quote: "Of course Jose thinks we didn't deserve to win. His team is trying to win the league and that's his problem. How can this team, a Villa team of young kids beat a team that's vying for everything going?"

Because we have the better manager. What other explanation is there? Our players are better?

Lol'd at this quote: "Of course Jose thinks we didn't deserve to win. His team is trying to win the league and that's his problem. How can this team, a Villa team of young kids beat a team that's vying for everything going?"

Because we have the better manager. What other explanation is there? Our players are better?

:lol:

Again I disagree. Not every foul has to be a yellow card. Referee has to use a bit of common sense. Oh well, who cares, we won!

Not every foul is a yellow card of course, but every foul in that situation is a yellow card. It's a professional foul to stop a break.

True. I don't think it was a foul though. Delph was off balance, there was contact but only as Delph's arm came across Willian. It was a harsh sending off.

But you know what? What goes around comes around.

Lambert dealt with the situation from there on much better than his counterpart. We were already fairly evenly matched, rather than adjust it seemed as though Mourinho thought they would power through us regardless. He read the game wrong, we didn't and stepped up the tempo, made the right change, stretched them and punished them.

Lambert knows how to set up a side to win. The problems come when he tinkers, like post West Brom. Last season we found a winning formula and rode it out, should we do the same again then 50 points might not be so mental.

That would be some progress.

The problems come when he tinkers, like post West Brom. 

It is necessary to experiment and be flexible, especially to acquire consistent success in football. Lambert is building for the long term; PL needs to fully assess the strengths and weaknesses of his players in different situations; he needs to trial ideas and decisions in real games and analyse the outcomes. It is all part of the learning process of management, and more importantly it helps shatter the edifice of mediocrity at Villa.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

That's what I was saying, thanks.

I have a long held theory that Lambert is a "gung ho" manager repressed by the weight of expectation. When we play top teams the weight of expectation is non existent, and he sends his lads out to play with a freedom that he does not allow them against lesser opponents. The fear of losing to the teams around us inhibits PL, in my opinion.

I have a long held theory that Lambert is a "gung ho" manager repressed by the weight of expectation. When we play top teams the weight of expectation is non existent, and he sends his lads out to play with a freedom that he does not allow them against lesser opponents. The fear of losing to the teams around us inhibits PL, in my opinion.

I agree, good point.

He was a gung-ho manager up until this season to be honest, regardless of expectation. 8 clean sheets in his first two prem season speaks for itself in that regard. His sides scored and conceded all the time.

I agree with that, and to add another point when we were 2-0 to West Brom we battered them for 20-30 mins. I think our biggest problem this season is players thinking more about the structure of the team and keeping it tight rather than playing. I think this is Lowtons downfall he bombs on to much and isn't disciplined enough.

Â