Paul Lambert

limpid

Credit where it is due.

Although Chelsea are a side competing for honours this season and have a vastly superior squad to us, I saw us still move the ball around on the ground and play proper football.

The substitution of Gabby for Albrighton was spot on, as was his decision to start with Bennet. Starting 4-3-3, defending a higher line and trying to take the game to Chelsea was the right tactics also, as Chelsea never looked comfortable despite their larger possession.

Lets build on this and push firmly into the top half!

Chelsea had all the ball for first hour but created nothing really. We were resolute. Vlaar awesome.

The Willian sending off was harsh and changed the game but... Fantastic character and performance to take the game to them at the end and beat them.

Brilliant stuff from Albrighton when ge came on. Delph should certainly be in with a shout in June with Cleverly and Barkley currently not up to much.

Great day for us!! :)

Did Guzan have anything to do all game? I really can't remember many saves. He had a pretty routine one from a free kick, otherwise I'm struggling to think of one. Lambert had us set up well and didn't have us sitting too deep which we often do against top teams and although they got in behind a few times, the amount of times they were offside was testament to how well we kept our line. Lambert deserves a lot of credit for this, we made Chelsea look very ordinary.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

He's done it again - turned it around when things looked like things we beginning to get rather bleak.

Six points needed - a finish around the place we are now would be regarded as a success to me. Nine points clear of relegation at the moment.

I've slammed him this season but no-one will be more happy than me if he proves me wrong. He got everything spot on yesterday, and deserves praise. Hopefully we can build on this now - that's the most notable limitation he's had so far as our manager.

He's more than capable of getting results (and big ones too) but we seem to follow up a couple of great performances with dire results. If he can crack that and we go on a good run to the end of the season, things will start to look a lot more positive.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

How did we play yesterday? Deserved the win? Good football?

I've seen the goal and it was a thing of beauty, absolutely gutted I missed it.

It was a well deserved win, that's it really.  Some games you wonder how you nicked the three points, some games you wonder how the hell you lost, well yesterday was just a game that we played well in and got what was coming.  They had a few periods in control as you'd expect from the league leaders, but I never felt worried.

Clearly the better side - looked solid and everyone looks like they knew what they are doing - on this performance we looked a decent mid table side.

As for Lambert - do you give him credit for turning out a performance like this on meagre resources - or do you give him flak that so often we don't do it.? - for me its the former..

I was getting ready to write up a response to this, but go read theunderstudy's post in the Ratings & Reactions thread. It's basically what I would have said.

Great performance and result today.  But lets not pretend we are anywhere near having a decent villa team . We still need 2 full backs, a decent midfielder, and a replacement for Benteke, should he leave. There has been very slight improvement over Lamberts tenure - but he still has a hell of a lot of work to do.

Couldn't you have waited till morning untill you dropped this old line out? Enjoy the evening!

I am one of the few thats always stuck behind Lambert - even if at times it was only because I wouldn't trust lerner to get anyone better.  What I am saying is, that squad still needs some major surgery in the summer.

The red card was a poor decision but considering how badly we got robbed at their ground id say it evens things up. Yes we were under pressure but they had yet to really work Guzan and we looked organised. It was a solid performance and we deserved a bit of luck.

I've been harsh on Lambert at times because I think if any other manager had a record like his he would be sacked a long time ago. But this is more of a frustration towards the owners and what they are trying to achieve at this club. There is no ambition for Aston Villa so as long as Lambert keeps us in this league each year on a shoe string budget it's job well done.

It's nights like yesterday (every few years or so) we can look forward to at least. I just hope Lambert can continue to find gems like Bentake and Vlaar to replace them when they eventually leave.

"Every few years"?

That's Arsenal, City and Chelsea this season.

It is isn't it? It's hard to believe at times but I guess I got to hand it to Lambert for those big victories.

But I'm sure you know what I mean about the clubs ambitions. No fault of Lamberts.

We should be finishing top 10 now, that should be our target.

Aside from our annual two hammerings in Manchester, our fixture run in is pretty good.

My target at the start of the season was somewhere in the top 10 (so 10th now given it's still a gap to even Newcastle) and 50 points. That is probably a big ask still but who knows if we can get a win next week?

I think you'd have to say with our current budget and ability of squad that has to be a good season. I'll say it again but how many of the teams above us should we really be finishing above?

I do accept the football has been pretty poor for most of the year and aside from the recent spike in home results that hasn't been good enough either. What's frustrating is unlike a West Ham we have a squad of players who actually can pass the ball. We saw that last night and at Anfield that's why it's so frustrating.

What we need in the summer is just to add more creativity in the middle, that will just make things so much easier for us, to score more and to win more. Defensively we're been in decent nick for most of the season aside from Ron's annual winter break so hopefully next season Okore can stay fit and we can get Bertrand in full time and that won't be a problem area for us.

• Like 2

Â