Paul Lambert

limpid

I'd agree Bj10, earlier in the season we went back to being narrow (weimann playing behind the strikers). Recently weimann has stayed wider which has coincided with us playing better and there is more space to make passes into.

However, jn response to your point, I really don't think it's as simple as that. I don't think he told them to hoof the ball ever to be honest, it comes as a result of the movement of the players as a whole not offering enough potential out balls to the player in posession. When in doubt, try and make it stick with Benteke. There's an enormous number of variables in getting the 10 outfield players to work well as a unit. Just saying that he's all of a sudden decided to "play football" is an enormous simplification.

I disagree. I think there have been games when our players are instructed to hit it long to benteke, if not then that would seriously concern me that players either are incapable or refuse to follow the managers instructions. The formation and the tactics play a huge part in the style of football played. Lambert chooses how this team plays.

What I was saying above is more about him having the courage of his convictions and them bearing fruit last year when everything looked lost, and this year when he was getting a massive amount of stick.

He was getting stick because he was underperforming. Games like yesterday show why some of us have expected better football and results.

However, jn response to your point, I really don't think it's as simple as that. I don't think he told them to hoof the ball ever to be honest, it comes as a result of the movement of the players as a whole not offering enough potential out balls to the player in posession. When in doubt, try and make it stick with Benteke. There's an enormous number of variables in getting the 10 outfield players to work well as a unit. Just saying that he's all of a sudden decided to "play football" is an enormous simplification.

I disagree. I think there have been games when our players are instructed to hit it long to benteke, if not then that would seriously concern me that players either are incapable or refuse to follow the managers instructions. The formation and the tactics play a huge part in the style of football played. Lambert chooses how this team plays.

What I was saying above is more about him having the courage of his convictions and them bearing fruit last year when everything looked lost, and this year when he was getting a massive amount of stick.

He was getting stick because he was underperforming. Games like yesterday show why some of us have expected better football and results.

You're a visionary BJ......if only Lambert listened to you more often

• Like 2

In this day and age you need more than one system to be able to compete especially if you have inferior players. This year has seen us play several different ones with varying amounts of successful at different times. Sometimes he has played wrong formations sometimes wrong players but hopefully it's all part of the learning curve and Lambert is still learning his trade as are the younger players. Against the better teams we have been tactically very good it's just against the lesser teams were we have struggled. If we can sort that out we will be in a very good position.

• Like 1

Maybe....

My Scottish team is Aberdeen, they have just won the cup. Commentator saying how after all the pain, all the lower league losses, all the agony, all the ridicule, Aberdeen have won a trophy.

Gives me hope.

The red card was a poor decision but considering how badly we got robbed at their ground id say it evens things up. Yes we were under pressure but they had yet to really work Guzan and we looked organised. It was a solid performance and we deserved a bit of luck.

I've been harsh on Lambert at times because I think if any other manager had a record like his he would be sacked a long time ago. But this is more of a frustration towards the owners and what they are trying to achieve at this club. There is no ambition for Aston Villa so as long as Lambert keeps us in this league each year on a shoe string budget it's job well done.

It's nights like yesterday (every few years or so) we can look forward to at least. I just hope Lambert can continue to find gems like Bentake and Vlaar to replace them when they eventually leave.

The red card was 100% correct. Willian was on a yellow and Delph was passed him. It was a cynical foul, there wasn't much contact but he nudged him over and made zero attempt to win the ball. He blatantly stopped the attack without trying to play the ball. I was screaming for the red card as soon as he made the foul.

I don't even think it was a foul. Have you seen it a second time mate?

The red card was a poor decision but considering how badly we got robbed at their ground id say it evens things up. Yes we were under pressure but they had yet to really work Guzan and we looked organised. It was a solid performance and we deserved a bit of luck.

I've been harsh on Lambert at times because I think if any other manager had a record like his he would be sacked a long time ago. But this is more of a frustration towards the owners and what they are trying to achieve at this club. There is no ambition for Aston Villa so as long as Lambert keeps us in this league each year on a shoe string budget it's job well done.

It's nights like yesterday (every few years or so) we can look forward to at least. I just hope Lambert can continue to find gems like Bentake and Vlaar to replace them when they eventually leave.

The red card was 100% correct. Willian was on a yellow and Delph was passed him. It was a cynical foul, there wasn't much contact but he nudged him over and made zero attempt to win the ball. He blatantly stopped the attack without trying to play the ball. I was screaming for the red card as soon as he made the foul.

These guys are running really quick...the slightest of touches can bring you down....Willian did just enough to "derail" Delph, Delph himself had his arm out to stop the challenge, But Willian was behind him and after dislodging him pulled his arm up to indicate he hadn't touched him, but he had....These guys are stealth like they know exactly how to do it....trained with Fagin( just joking, but thats equivalent to the skill they use)

....it was Yellow alright....Delph would no way have fallen as he was clean through, he was "derailed"

• Like 1

Well Gian Franco Zola thought it was a foul - but understood why it was a sending off harsh but no complaints. I would take his word for it. He knows his football. Great Player. One of very few to get a standing ovation from the home fans at an away fixture on his last season for Chelsea.

Well Shearer didn't think it was a foul so i guess it's a matter of opinion. But if ex players are saying they didn't even think it was a foul then surely a yellow card is harsh?

If that's a foul it's a yellow for sure. The question is then was it a foul? For me, I think under the laws of the game it was.

Well Shearer didn't think it was a foul so i guess it's a matter of opinion. But if ex players are saying they didn't even think it was a foul then surely a yellow card is harsh?

Well I take the word of a former Chelsea player who would be more biased towards Chelsea  - but was borderline and was a foul - at least said it was on Sunday Supplement. But no problems in disagreeing - healthy debate.

I really wouldn't listen to shearer. He said Suarez was a definite penalty but then Boyd for hull yesterday wasn't, what was the difference between the 2? Apart from one being g in favour of a big club and the other not?

Shearer thought Guzan's "foul" on Suarez was a stonewall penalty, but Hart's challenge on Boyd definitely wasn't. The guy is completely inconsistent and a total cretin.

If Shearer didn't think it was a foul then we can be quite certain it was. 

Shearer thought Guzan's "foul" on Suarez was a stonewall penalty, but Hart's challenge on Boyd definitely wasn't. The guy is completely inconsistent and a total cretin.

If Shearer didn't think it was a foul then we can be quite certain it was.

Lol fair enough. My point was more about just because an ex footballer says something. Doesn't make it true.

Â