Paul Lambert

limpid

I hope we keep the high defensive line and the aggressive pressing after how well it worked, so much more positive and effective than defending deep if the players can pull it off. Red Bull Salzburg are one of my favourite teams to watch and they play in a similar vein and they are absolutely devasting teams at the moment.

• Like 2

I've just seen his interview, the line about mourinho was brilliant. I didn't realize he said "he reminds me of myself" right after they brought how similar it was to the Stamford bridge controversy. Then he gave a little wry smile, and with Redknapp laughing he said, "you know where I'm coming from Jamie." The entire delivery was perfect.

I have a long held theory that Lambert is a "gung ho" manager repressed by the weight of expectation. When we play top teams the weight of expectation is non existent, and he sends his lads out to play with a freedom that he does not allow them against lesser opponents. The fear of losing to the teams around us inhibits PL, in my opinion.

It's an interesting theory but surely that's a little counter-intuitive?

"We can beat the top sides when we take the game to them - better not do it against Palace, then!!"

Sadly, your theory is backed up by some truly horrendous tactics and formations against "lower" sides. Fulham and WHU immediately come to mind.

I've just seen his interview, the line about mourinho was brilliant. I didn't realize he said "he reminds me of myself" right after they brought how similar it was to the Stamford bridge controversy. Then he gave a little wry smile, and with Redknapp laughing he said, "you know where I'm coming from Jamie." The entire delivery was perfect.

Wasn't this just him repeating what nourinho said about him in the reverse fixture?

When was the last time this happened

Bi4URPkCQAASP9X.png

Do we get a trophy for winning this 'league'?

No but it certainly should go a long way towards answering those who variously describe both many of our players and our Manager as useless.

You simply dont do that with useless players.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

Glad you can see it.

You been away working on a few graphs?

Last38Games_zps9698feef.jpg

....a graph charting a running total our return from 38 games from start of the season up to date - As I've been saying consistently results are constantly improving under Lambert. With decent backing in the summer I expect a further improvement next season

Wasn't this just him repeating what nourinho said about him in the reverse fixture?

Very similar, nice to see that Lambert has a good sense of humour.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3793636

As I've been saying consistently results are constantly improving under Lambert

Haha so consistent you seemed to disappear for a couple of months.

The majority of the season was much worse than how we finished last season and for long parts we were on course to finish with similar points while the football we played was awful.

2 brilliant results and performances so let's hope it continues.

The red card was a poor decision but considering how badly we got robbed at their ground id say it evens things up. Yes we were under pressure but they had yet to really work Guzan and we looked organised. It was a solid performance and we deserved a bit of luck.

I've been harsh on Lambert at times because I think if any other manager had a record like his he would be sacked a long time ago. But this is more of a frustration towards the owners and what they are trying to achieve at this club. There is no ambition for Aston Villa so as long as Lambert keeps us in this league each year on a shoe string budget it's job well done.

It's nights like yesterday (every few years or so) we can look forward to at least. I just hope Lambert can continue to find gems like Bentake and Vlaar to replace them when they eventually leave.

The red card was 100% correct. Willian was on a yellow and Delph was passed him. It was a cynical foul, there wasn't much contact but he nudged him over and made zero attempt to win the ball. He blatantly stopped the attack without trying to play the ball. I was screaming for the red card as soon as he made the foul.

I don't even think it was a foul. Have you seen it a second time mate?

These guys are running really quick...the slightest of touches can bring you down....Willian did just enough to "derail" Delph, Delph himself had his arm out to stop the challenge, But Willian was behind him and after dislodging him pulled his arm up to indicate he hadn't touched him, but he had....These guys are stealth like they know exactly how to do it....trained with Fagin( just joking, but thats equivalent to the skill they use)

....it was Yellow alright....Delph would no way have fallen as he was clean through, he was "derailed"

Don't think Delph put his arm out to stop the challenge - he glanced back and knew it was coming and made the most of it. Reckon they must have talked at half time that Wilian had a stupid challenge left in him so make the most of it when it comes!

There'll be some people in the Villa Park crowd who will see evidence like this, shrug their shoulders and continue with their match-going policy of giving both barrels to the manager and team - neanderthals who can't get it into their heads that you can't rebuild a football club from top to bottom in eighteen months. Lambert is doing a superb job.

Maybe because fans will base their opinon on what they see at games instead of a graph.

Any stick lambert has received has been because it wasn't good enough. When things are good then he gets the credit for it and rightly so.

It was a brilliant result for the club, fans and team against Chelsea and that can't be denied by anyone with any sense but by the same token it is not neanderthal thinking to suggest that the manager's record is currently much less than superb. Those who have criticised him have as must right to do that as those who now awash him with praise.

I don't think we have needed graphs to know there has been improvement this year (but I like them anyway). I am sure we will have a lot more ups and downs in the coming months and sometimes the improvements may be small but as long as we are improving we should stick behind Lambert. Thankfully Lambert seems to have the knack of getting results when we and him especially need them. Our home form will remain a concern and is the biggest thing that needs fixing but winning the remaining ones would set us up nicely for next year.

Â