Paul Lambert

limpid

Didn't he try to resign but Lerner wouldn't accept it? I really don't get the hate for Lambert. He wasn't an amazing manager, but he kept us in the league with a terrible budget. Go look at some of our starting XIs the two seasons Lambert kept us up. It's honestly amazing how we stayed in the league. Holman and Tonev played for us...

33 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Didn't he try to resign but Lerner wouldn't accept it? I really don't get the hate for Lambert. He wasn't an amazing manager, but he kept us in the league with a terrible budget. Go look at some of our starting XIs the two seasons Lambert kept us up. It's honestly amazing how we stayed in the league. Holman and Tonev played for us...

I hate the argument about keeping us in the league. It was a 2 and a half year decline that was taking us down, just because it didn't happen straight away doesn't make him a success. 

We also seem to rewrite history. Mcleish keeps us up and he is shit. Lambert comes in and does the same and he did a decent job

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Am I getting this right, he's a word removed because he didn't walk away from his post?

The last manager in football that I can remember willingly resigning from a club without being sacked was MON from us almost 8 years ago.

Yes. 

The club was heading down and he didn't care one bit. He was on a decline for a good while and waited for the payoff. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He made us gradually worse and the season we got worse he was given more money than his first one.

He also signed some right utter shit. Dawkins Luna Bennett to name a couple. God he was awful.

Also he was a right cock thats why his management team parted ways with him while he was at villa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes. 

The club was heading down and he didn't care one bit. He was on a decline for a good while and waited for the payoff. 

Literally almost every manager stays on until they are sacked regardless of how bad they're doing or how much or how fast they're declining.

Very rarely if ever does a manager, especially one with a modicum of self-belief go "hmm, I don't believe I can keep this club up, I should resign and forgo the rest of my salary". They always recite some spiel about being the right man and being able to turn the club around regardless of how unlikely it seems to us fans.

Mark Hughes being a good recent example. He even went as far as to say "who else is going to do the job?". Was he a word removed too for staying in his post despite declining, potentially into the Championship for 2 years now?

Such a weird stick to beat him with.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Literally almost every manager stays on until they are sacked regardless of how bad they're doing or how much or how fast they're declining.

Very rarely if ever does a manager, especially one with a modicum of self-belief go "hmm, I don't believe I can keep this club up, I should resign and forgo the rest of my salary". They always recite some spiel about being the right man and being able to turn the club around regardless of how unlikely it seems to us fans.

Mark Hughes being a good recent example. He even went as far as to say "who else is going to do the job?". Was he a word removed too for staying in his post despite declining, potentially into the Championship for 2 years now?

Such a weird stick to beat him with.

I don't think every manager is hanging on when their club is clearly going to get relegated. 

Very different to a manager under performing and thinking they can improve while sitting midtable. The future at the club isn't at risk. 

Lambert would have had no issues relegating us while he waited for a payoff. That's unforgivable in my book. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think every manager is hanging on when their club is clearly going to get relegated. 

Very different to a manager under performing and thinking they can improve while sitting midtable. The future at the club isn't at risk. 

Lambert would have had no issues relegating us while he waited for a payoff. That's unforgivable in my book. 

That's just you projecting that onto him imo. There's nothing he said or did that would suggest that's the case or that he's any different than any other manager in that regard. 

He genuinely thought we would 'go again' and he would keep us up from the looks of things. I mean he did it twice before, and it's not like his remit was anything more than just 'stay up' anyway. We weren't a forgone conclusion like we were under Sherwood/Garde too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's just you projecting that onto him imo. There's nothing he said or did that would suggest that's the case or that he's any different than any other manager in that regard. 

He genuinely thought we would 'go again' and he would keep us up from the looks of things. I mean he did it twice before, and it's not like his remit was anything more than just 'stay up' anyway. We weren't a forgone conclusion like we were under Sherwood/Garde too.

I can only assume you've blanked out performances, results and the state of him. There nothing to suggest he could or even really believed he was going to turn it round. We were dead certs for relegation. If that doesn't bother you, your choice but i felt it was poor from him. It topped off an abysmal period which really cemented the losing mentality that engulfed the club.

Just now, DCJonah said:

I can only assume you've blanked out performances, results and the state of him. There nothing to suggest he could or even really believed he was going to turn it round. We were dead certs for relegation. If that doesn't bother you, your choice but i felt it was poor from him. It topped off an abysmal period which really cemented the losing mentality that engulfed the club.

We must have different definitions of dead cert. Dead cert was us under Garde. There was nothing we could do to stay up...it was over. What I meant was that under Lambert in that last season, it looked very unlikely (to us) from the way we were playing that we would stay up...but we were still very much in the mix. We weren't adrift or anything.

A few results on the bounce was all that was needed as we showed 2 seasons prior or as Sunderland used to show every season. I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking at the time...ie: "I can still do this". But to us fans it looked like we were doomed. That was my point. That's how every manager is. However misguided, they believe they can turn things around...and you'd hope that they do too.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You know its bad when Tim Sherwood successfully cleans up your mess

And then leaves us in an even bigger mess?

Fwiw i think managing villa has broken him, he lurched from being attacking to win games and getting hammered to go going so defensive it was the worst football since mcleish played 4 right backs at spurs. 

Looking back on I really, really wanted him to do well at Villa to shown everyone that you don't need oodles of cash to compete. Just a good British manager and a sound transfer policy. Didn't quite work out. Yes his hands were tied but by god it was miserable.  If he had anything about him he would have left at the end of the 2nd season.  Has about 2 good years and Norwich and has done nothing else. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I hate the argument about keeping us in the league. It was a 2 and a half year decline that was taking us down, just because it didn't happen straight away doesn't make him a success. 

We also seem to rewrite history. Mcleish keeps us up and he is shit. Lambert comes in and does the same and he did a decent job

He pretty much survived because he was not Alex McLeish for 2 seasons

• Like 1

I bet he can't believe his luck having landed a Prem job as his record over the last few years has done nothing to warrant it. He has a good chance now to rebuild his reputation. All he has to do is keep Stoke up and he will be seen to have done a decent job and on paper they should have enough to  stay up. 

As a Stoke fan though you must be wondering what the hell has happened as when they sacked Hughes they couldn't have imagined for a second they'd end up with Lambert.

He should've gone for his own good in summer 2014.

The following season was just torture. That run when we didn't even score a league goal for 7 games and just kept passing the ball sideways in our own half after he went to watch Bayern Munich train.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He should've gone for his own good in summer 2014.

The following season was just torture. That run when we didn't even score a league goal for 7 games and just kept passing the ball sideways in our own half after he went to watch Bayern Munich train.

I believe we had a total of about 3 shots on target during that run.

Â