Paul Lambert

limpid

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He did badly here, and was right to be sacked/leave at the end, but he was completely hampered by Lerner (especially with hindsight).  Our most expensive signing over 3 seasons of Lambert was Benteke at just shy of £8m.  Second most expensive was Libor Kozak at £5.9m.  By comparison:

Ross McCormack - £12.9m
Jonathan Kodija - £11.6m
Scott Hogan - £9.5m (with add ons)
James Chester - £8.3m

...whilst in the Championship.  Now obviously transfer fees have increased but, really, did we even want to be a Premier League club back then?  Staggering.

No excuses for losing to bradford over two legs, and 8-0 by chelsea. complete and utter "word removed" 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No excuses for losing to bradford over two legs

Honestly, with these sort of games, I criticise players more than the manager.

Our cup exit against Peterborough this season?  Sure, manager shoulders quite a lot of the blame.  Made changes in a one off game, we lost.  It happens.

Supposed Premier League players not being able to beat a League Two side over 2 legs?  Yeah, that's on them really.

(I still think them beating Chelsea 2-4 at Stamford Bridge was a bigger shock, though - especially from being 2-0 down.)

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Honestly, with these sort of games, I criticise players more than the manager.

Our cup exit against Peterborough this season?  Sure, manager shoulders quite a lot of the blame.  Made changes in a one off game, we lost.  It happens.

Supposed Premier League players not being able to beat a League Two side over 2 legs?  Yeah, that's on them really.

(I still think them beating Chelsea 2-4 at Stamford Bridge was a bigger shock, though - especially from being 2-0 down.)

You cant seriously be suggesting the peterboro result is on par with the bradford. the bradford game was a farce bad enough we got completely humiliated away as a premier league club but then to put in such an embarrassing and coward second leg performance like that. i remem,ber watching in complete anger bennett getting completely embarrassed on the left. yet lambert kept him on and did nothing. we scored then he went cautious and we conceded 

we were a complete and utter shambles. this years game was a weakened side vs Peterborough. completely different. yes players have to take their share of the blame but lambert at that time was 90% to blame. how the hell do you lose to them with a  player of bentekes quality? only lambert 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You cant seriously be suggesting the peterboro result is on par with the bradford. the bradford game was a farce bad enough we got completely humiliated away as a premier league club but then to put in such an embarrassing and coward second leg performance like that. i remem,ber watching in complete anger bennett getting completely embarrassed on the left. yet lambert kept him on and did nothing. we scored then he went cautious and we conceded 

we were a complete and utter shambles. this years game was a weakened side vs Peterborough. completely different. yes players have to take their share of the blame but lambert at that time was 90% to blame. how the hell do you lose to them with a  player of bentekes quality? only lambert 

No, not suggesting it's on par at all.  Just:

Peterborough result more = managers' fault
Bradford result more = players faults

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

No, not suggesting it's on par at all.  Just:

Peterborough result more = managers' fault
Bradford result more = players faults

I think lambert is to blame the tactics were shite and defensively we were woeful

• Like 1

Bradford game is on Lambert. If i remember the left back think was Bennett got tore apart all night and he was not taken off or given protection. played a half fit Vlaar in one of games that cost us and famously of all we finished with I think 5 strikers in the 2nd leg 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bradford game is on Lambert. If i remember the left back think was Bennett got tore apart all night and he was not taken off or given protection. played a half fit Vlaar in one of games that cost us and famously of all we finished with I think 5 strikers in the 2nd leg 

I still remember Lambert sat on the bench with a face like a smacked arse entire game. Didn’t seem bothered enough to do anything about it. Like he was letting it happen out of spite.

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

I still remember Lambert sat on the bench with a face like a smacked arse entire game. Didn’t seem bothered enough to do anything about it. Like he was letting it happen out of spite.

Quite the opposite. 

He tried to do loads about it. He just did he wrong thing by putting loads of strikers on. 

I said it earlier, but I’m convinced we’d have won that tie if he made no changes in the second half of the second leg. 

We were all over Bradford in the first half. They scored a flukey breakaway goal end of the second half and Lambert panicked. I’m sure if we’d carried on the way we’d been playing first half we’d have won. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Quite the opposite. 

He tried to do loads about it. He just did he wrong thing by putting loads of strikers on. 

I said it earlier, but I’m convinced we’d have won that tie if he made no changes in the second half of the second leg. 

We were all over Bradford in the first half. They scored a flukey breakaway goal end of the second half and Lambert panicked. I’m sure if we’d carried on the way we’d been playing first half we’d have won. 

It’s funny, my take away memory of one of the legs was that he sat there looking like his dog had just died and didn’t want to be there.

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We spent more in 1 championship season (where we finished 13th) than we did in Lambert's 3 PL seasons combined. That is just staggering.

Looking back, it's a miracle we even stayed up once, let alone e 3 times (and that miracle is probably called Benteke tbh).

Out of all things villa related in recent years. This kind of defence of Paul Lambert is probably the one i can't get my head around. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 17:14, lapal_fan said:

A lot of those players were taking the Mick with some of their performances.  The bomb squad was championed on here.

Young and hungry was nodded along with too.

Never really understood it. 

Like we were going to find all the gems out there. It was terrible, saved by one signing in benteke

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Out of all things villa related in recent years. This kind of defence of Paul Lambert is probably the one i can't get my head around. 

Not even a defence of Paul Lambert, just an observation of an astonishing fact. If you disagree with the figures, by all means correct me. 

Or is it the notion that it was somewhat of a minor miracle that we managed to stay up 3 times (once with Tim Sherwood) spending about 15M a season that you disagree with?

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not even a defence of Paul Lambert, just an observation of an astonishing fact. If you disagree with the figures, by all means correct me. 

Or is it the notion that it was somewhat of a minor miracle that we managed to stay up 3 times (once with Tim Sherwood) spending about 15M a season that you disagree with?

I disagree that Paul Lambert performed a miracle in keeping us up during his time here. He played his part in the downward spiral we found ourselves in and for me was the one that cemented the losing culture at the club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree that Paul Lambert performed a miracle in keeping us up during his time here. He played his part in the downward spiral we found ourselves in and for me was the one that cemented the losing culture at the club. 

Do you agree that 47M in 3 seasons is nowhere near enough backing to expect to stay in the PL? 

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Do you agree that 47M in 3 seasons is nowhere near enough backing to expect to stay in the PL? 

Probably not but Lambo really cared he would have walked but he never made a fuss about it

Benteke was only reason he lasted as long as he did

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Probably not but Lambo really cared he would have walked but he never made a fuss about it

I think this is bollocks to be honest.

Lambert was shit, especially in his final season, but this is just something extra thrown at him. Managers rarely resign anymore, and managers will always back themselves to turn it around even if we can see it won't happen.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this is bollocks to be honest.

Lambert was shit, especially in his final season, but this is just something extra thrown at him. Managers rarely resign anymore, and managers will always back themselves to turn it around even if we can see it won't happen.

Not only that, but him not walking away is completely irrelevant to the fact that he kept us up on a Championship budget which was the topic at hand.

Â