Paul Lambert

limpid

Clearly Lambert is deluded if he thinks we were in the game for 60 minutes yesterday. I wonder which 60 minute spell he is referring to:

The 8 minute spell before we went 1-0 down

or

The 48 minute spell before we went 2-0 down

or

The 7 minute spell before we went 3-0 down

or

The 12 minute spell before we went 4-0 down

or

The 17 minute spell before we went 5-0 down

For me we were only ever 'in the game' up until Arsenal scored their first goal.

• Like 1

The squad should be doing better. There's no denying that for me.

It's credit to Lambert that he's built the squad he has. But it makes the results look even worse.

Once the Chelsea game is out of the way, there's no excuse for a lack of improvement from there on out.

• Like 2

We haven't got a 'very good squad' though, It's average. Paul's done miraculously to bring in some of the players that he has and I'd say they make an half decent starting eleven, but they have to be fit all at the same time for a run of games, otherwise we're struggling. This notion that the players we have are too good for a relegation battle doesn't sit with me.

I agree with this but the problem is that confidence is now completely shattered and Lambert doesn't seem to be able to change this. If he stays we could go down. If we get a new manager we could still go down. It's a tricky one but one things for sure is something has to change.

• Like 1

Clearly Lambert is deluded if he thinks we were in the game for 60 minutes yesterday. I wonder which 60 minute spell he is referring to:

or

or

or

or

For me we were only ever 'in the game' up until Arsenal scored their first goal.

Personally I thought we were in the game right up to the point that Lambert announced the starting 11.

• Like 2

We haven't got a 'very good squad' though, It's average. Paul's done miraculously to bring in some of the players that he has and I'd say they make an half decent starting eleven, but they have to be fit all at the same time for a run of games, otherwise we're struggling. This notion that the players we have are too good for a relegation battle doesn't sit with me.

I agree with this but the problem is that confidence is now completely shattered and Lambert doesn't seem to be able to change this. If he stays we could go down. If we get a new manager we could still go down. It's a tricky one but one things for sure is something has to change.

New manager or not, get in a frigging sports psychologist! Even the best teams in Europe use them. It is all in the players heads. Doing something is better than doing nothing!

• Like 3

We have struggled to score but that's because the emphasis has to always be on defence. Losing our 1st choice centre halves for most of the season has been a massive blow. Most teams would struggle if this happened to them. If they are not going to feature this season and it continues to be Clark and Okore in defence then the likelihood is we we will go down.

My biggest disappointment is the type of football we are now playing.

It is exactly what I wanted to see us play, but he implemented it at exactly the wrong time. This should have been refined in preseason against easier opposition, not halfway through a record-breaking bad season when confidence was at an all time low and new players are thrown into the formation.

He must go. I only hope we remain in the top flight when he does.

We have struggled to score but that's because the emphasis has to always be on defence. Losing our 1st choice centre halves for most of the season has been a massive blow. Most teams would struggle if this happened to them. If they are not going to feature this season and it continues to be Clark and Okore in defence then the likelihood is we we will go down.

You mean the same Clark and Okore that many have been raving about for keeping a tight defence for the past month or so?

• Like 4

Lambert’s men are bottom of the scoring charts in the entire Football League, nine goals behind the nearest team – West Brom – and Carragher says this isn’t the record a club like Villa should be owning.

“That’s a shocking statistic, and that’s coming from a player who scored five goals in his career," Carragher said.

“That’s awful considering the size of the club, who they are, Aston Villa. We’re not talking about a Mickey Mouse club who are bottom of the league, adrift of everyone else points-wise, completely out of their depth. It’s Aston Villa. It’s one of the biggest clubs in the country.

“Today the players haven’t produced. You could talk about the manager’s tactics, the way he’s set his team up and how they’ve done this season – is he positive enough? Is there enough quality on the pitch in terms of the goals they’ve got? Obviously not.

“But it comes back to the top and what’s going on at the club. Is the ambition there to try and get Aston Villa back to where it should be and belongs, which is a top-six, top-eight club?

or

or

or

or

Add the 15 minute interval to the 48 minutes before the second goal and there's your 60 (63) minutes mate ;)

• Like 1

Average, so 10th-12th, right?

The squad should be doing better. There's no denying that for me.

It's credit to Lambert that he's built the squad he has. But it makes the results look even worse.

Once the Chelsea game is out of the way, there's no excuse for a lack of improvement from there on out.

Agree with this 100%

We have a good squad, it's so baffling why we can't do better than we are with them. Our lack of goals is very strange as we know there is goals in players like Benteke. 

• Like 1

or

or

or

or

Add the 15 minute interval to the 48 minutes before the second goal and there's your 60 (63) minutes mate ;)

I thought of that.

Edited by pacbuddies

They went 2-0 up on 56 minutes.

I don't think Lambert was being exact, I took him to be referring to the period when it was 1-0 and, as bad as we were, we did actually have a chance or two to equalise.

People are making way too much of this comment. I know he's doing shite, but this dissecting every interview and laughing our heads off at the the vaguely positive aspects is getting pretty dull.

• Like 2

Lambert could probably make a successfull living as a con artist when he finally leaves Villa as a very wealthy man.

He's currently stealing a living as a PL manager, convinced Lerner to hand him a 4-year contract and somehow managed Benteke and Delph to sign new contracts.

He'd probably manage to sell sand in the Sahara.

Can't seem to get the hand of the tactical sides of setting up a team thou

• Like 1

The defence can no longer be hailed as superior to last season's really. We've conceded 30 league goals so far this season, one better (31) than at the same stage last season. Which begs the question, how are we improving under Lambert's management?

or

or

or

or

I thought of that.

It seems that Lambert did too!

You mean the same Clark and Okore that many have been raving about for keeping a tight defence for the past month or so?

They have done well but need a lot of protection. I'm not blaming them for what happened but I do think when you have a solid experienced back 4 then the rest of the team can concentrate on the attacking side of the game.

I don't think Lambert was being exact, I took him to be referring to the period when it was 1-0 and, as bad as we were, we did actually have a chance or two to equalise.

People are making way too much of this comment. I know he's doing shite, but this dissecting every interview and laughing our heads off at the the vaguely positive aspects is getting pretty dull.

What is getting pretty dull is the constant need to try to defend anything he says or does.

PS. I wasn't laughing, this mess is no joke.

Edited by pacbuddies

What is getting pretty dull is the constant need to try to defend anything he says or does.

I agree. Good job I'm not doing that.

• Like 2

Â