Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambert obviously has no issues with the funding he's been given or the conditions he works under.

Its part of the problem, the manager and owner are both perfectly happy to just survive. So no wonder that's what we get.

Haha spare me lad. You think Lambert would of liked to of had the funds to overhaul our squad in a couple of transfer windows rather than 6 windows and counting?

This thread reminds me of when I search #avfc on twitter. 99% dribble

Are you the 1% of non-dribble or are you like the rest of us? ;)

• Like 3

I don't see Benteke coming good - he looks closer to being dropped....obviously if he does hit form we stay up......if he doesn't......

I agree.

Mind you, it's not hard to figure out that if you have five strikers (one kid, one injured, two experienced but not prolific, and one Benteke), then you're going to need Benteke in form or else.

To some ways of thinking, the next thing we need to do, therefore, is sack the manager and spend money we don't have on his payout.

I don't see how this could be the best solution unless we were to unearth and attract a truly exceptional manager. A manager who's just competent, or just "good", isn't going to cut it when the owner has just spent more money than he had available for transfers on sacking his predecessor.

Managerial candidates we know Lerner to have hired or considered hiring: Steve McLaren; Ole Gunnar Solskjaer; Gerard Houllier; Alex McLeish; Roberto Martinez.

That is the sort of calibre we'll be lucky to attract in the absence of available transfer funds.

THINK, people.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 2

Lambert obviously has no issues with the funding he's been given or the conditions he works under.

Its part of the problem, the manager and owner are both perfectly happy to just survive. So no wonder that's what we get.

Haha spare me lad. You think Lambert would of liked to of had the funds to overhaul our squad in a couple of transfer windows rather than 6 windows and counting?

I thought "99% dribble", was an attempt to describe our "new style" of football.

99% dribble (preferably in your own half); 1% shoot wide or give ball away to opposition.

• Like 1

Lambert has signed loads of good players at very good prices. His dealings in the transfer market are what has kept him in a job. You never know he may do the trick again. 

But he needs to bring in an Assistant who knows how to get a team winning football matches, who knows how to use substitutes. 

• Like 1

Chief scout? Wtf?

Are people still convinced that he's signed a load of good players?

His signings are a huge part of the problem.

He has signed good players.

A load? Maybe not. but he's more hit than miss.

Chief scout? Wtf?

Dear oh dear. Sometimes extreme negativity can just take over the mind.

It's evidently clear any player he has brought over 3mill has been a good purchase.

The rest from the bargin bin where always going to be hit and miss.

Gabby and andi. Two of our biggest problems are nothing to do with Lambert.

Edited by villan_007
  • Like 4

Exactly!! How many players has he tried to sign but couldn't due to money.

DC proper rubbish that is mate.

Lambert's signings with a manager/coach who can actually set-up and advise the players tactically and proficiently would be fantastic.

Obviously Lambert would be in a better position with a competent assistant, but if I could choose between that and him getting another ten million pounds to spend on a player or two I'd pick that option tbh.

Two more signings of a Sanchez or Okore quality and we will have a squad that will do well even if the manager's tactics are as much of a problem as some believe.

Chief scout? Wtf?

Far more miss than hit in my book.

Bennett, Lowton, Luna, KEA, Sylla, Bowery, Tonev, Helenius, Bacuna, Joe Cole, Richardson, Cleverley, Cissokho.

None of them good enough in my opinion, for a variety of reasons.

• Like 3

Bennett, Lowton, Luna, KEA, Sylla, Bowery, Tonev, Helenius, Bacuna, Joe Cole, Richardson, Cleverley, Cissokho.

You do realise that all those players cost less than 16 million put together. Some clubs would smell a rat if they could pick up a single player for that.

• Like 2

Haha I guess it's a matter of opinion but yeah I am the non-dribble one.
  • Like 1

Not so sure I'd write all them off.

I would say that Lambert perhaps didn't get the best out of them - but his assistants have to wear some of the blame for that too.

Edit: Remove spurious quote bubbles

Edited by ozvillafan

Chief scout? Wtf?

What does "not good enough" mean? Not good enough for what? To be starters every week? Yeah you're probably right.

To compliment the squad given where we are? I'd argue some of them definitely are good enough for that.

Of that list, Lowton, KEA, Bacuna and Richardson aren't good enough to be starters but they're certainly good enough to be useful squad members at the moment (or were in KEA's case).

I can't fathom how you can call Cissokho a bad signing. He was 2 million quid and he's doing a very good job, imo.

And a bit harsh to include Helenius. Yeah it hasn't worked out but it's not really to do with transfer acumen is it?

I'm not saying all Lambert's signings have been of the quality of Benteke. And most of the ones who have flopped have been low value signings.

When you factor in value as well I think he's done very well in the transfer market

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Lambert has many, many perceived* negatives. The transfer market it most definitely not one of them.

At least let the poor fella have one thing! Must we take everything positive from him?

*Edited for Crackpot  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound

Lambert has many, many negatives.

Apart from being the opposite of flambuoyant, I can't think of a single negative thing said about him that is anything but an opinion based on poor performances by his budget football team.

We don't know what he says to the players, or what he does in training, we just ASSUME he's saying the wrong things because of what we see on the pitch, but it's complete guesswork because we haven't seen the same set of players play the same game under a different manager.

If our scoring and our results improve it may be because Lambert has hit some magic formula, but more likely he's just got the right players in and their confidence as a team has improved. People carry on as though a manager has the XBox controller in his hands during the game, but his influence is way, way more subtle than that imo.

Good point. I did kind of mean it as I thought my stance on Lambert was fairly clear to most.  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound

Â