Paul Lambert

limpid

I was there in 68. Villa fans then were not prepared to sit idly by and do nothing . We chanted" the board must go" at every game. We held demonstrations and held meetings, a big one at Digbeth civic hall. We all  loved our club too much to watch it die a slow death. From those actions, change was initiated. We suffered set backs, but the seeds of a better club were planted. Doing nothing, will change nothing. Were Villa fans then, a tougher bunch, maybe they were, but this club is drifting, much as it was back then. An inept board, an uninspiring manager, a group of players, some of which are not fit to play for the club. There are those who believe that doing nowt, except turning up, not rocking the boat, and meekly accepting our fate. is supporting the club. We ALL support the club, its just that some of us are prepared to actively defend its future. The embers from 68 are still smouldering in my belly. Time to fan the flames again I think.

Aston Villa wasn't going for somehwere between £150-200 million in 1968. The game has changed, massively.

Nothing will change till Lerner goes and Lerner isn't going anywhere for a long time. There aren't people willing to spend the best part of a quarter of a billion on a football club and then some to get us competing at the top again.

As frustrating as it is to watch, and it was like pulling teeth at Leicester, you may as well save your breath, because its only being wasted.

Rich clubs were around in 68. Its just the figures that change.

We don't know what Mr Lerner is going to do. He never tells us.

The manager can be changed.

I love my club too much to save my breath.

• Like 1

I was there in 68. Villa fans then were not prepared to sit idly by and do nothing . We chanted" the board must go" at every game. We held demonstrations and held meetings, a big one at Digbeth civic hall. We all  loved our club too much to watch it die a slow death. From those actions, change was initiated. We suffered set backs, but the seeds of a better club were planted. Doing nothing, will change nothing. Were Villa fans then, a tougher bunch, maybe they were, but this club is drifting, much as it was back then. An inept board, an uninspiring manager, a group of players, some of which are not fit to play for the club. There are those who believe that doing nowt, except turning up, not rocking the boat, and meekly accepting our fate. is supporting the club. We ALL support the club, its just that some of us are prepared to actively defend its future. The embers from 68 are still smouldering in my belly. Time to fan the flames again I think.

Thing is, what's needed is a change of ownership, not management. The owner is willing to sell but currently there's no buyer, so what is the point protesting against him?

To put it bluntly, times have changed.

The club isn't really a club any more, it's a private business who you give money to in return of tickets.

No one from the club (that's important enough) will realistically meet with fans, listen and action what they have to say.

By all means, if enough people do this, then something may happen, but you're going to need 10s of thousands of people to do anything and really, we haven't got the local fan base to do it.

Times haven't changed, maybe some fans have though. 

Funnily enough clubs in 68 were privately owned, and we bought tickets in those days too.

The board in 68 weren't falling over themselves to talk to us either.

Your right we do need thousands to do something, care to be one of them?

You seriously believe we don't "have the local  fan base" to do it.

It's all about money now, and the fans don't have enough influence financially to hold any weight.

In the 60s the average footballers wage was £15-£20 a week.  The average ticket was £1.50.

Now the average Premier League player earns £25-30,000 a week, the average ticket is £40.

Proportionally, 1 single ticket today is 750x less than the wage packet average players earn.

It used to take 13 people to pay for a players wages.  Now it takes 750 of us. 

Whereas being in the PL is worth roughly £100m a year in TV/rights etc revenue.

No one would care if 0 fans turned up, as long as we stay in the PL.

It all comes down to money, it all comes down to Sky, it all comes down to we can do **** all, unfortunately, as much as I WANT to agree with you that people power would work, it just won't.

Thing is, what's needed is a change of ownership, not management. The owner is willing to sell but currently there's no buyer, so what is the point protesting against him?

He owns it.But appears to have little interest in it. As for there being no buyer. Who knows what interest has been shown. Its all so damn cloak and dagger at VP. 

Change of manager is in my opinion even more needed than change of owner. The knuckle draggers have shown that even with a crook in situ, a decent manager can improve results.

• Like 2

Lerners going know where....yet. Lambert needs to go period!!!

Cant believe its gone as far as to blame the supporters. Cant you see what this guy (Lambert)is doing to us and our club. Wake the f*** up!!!!

The blame isn't on the supporters?

Spot on post.

Some of today's fans believe that doing nothing except handing over hard earned cash to watch 90 minutes of dross is supporting the team and that anyone that cares passionately enough to do anything (whether it be boycott, chanting, holding up £ signs, draping blankets etc. etc.) is just 'small time' and worth nothing but ridicule.

In my personal opinion the only form of protest to Mr Lerner is if fans simply stay away for a designated game.  This 8 minute walk out doesn’t make sense to me.  It will go unnoticed anyway.

Though, what are we hoping this protest will achieve?  Is it for Lerner to put in more cash?  Because he has us up for sale and there are no takers.

Because supporting lambert has had such a good effect on the team hasn't it?

Yeah it's been disastrous. If only the fans could be bothered to call for the manager's head for 38 games a season we'd be unbeatable.
The point is that the influence of an inept manager on the team is far greater than any influence the opinion of the fans may have.

The manager is here to stay, so even if you happen to think he's inept, calling for his head has no conceivable positive outcome.

I don't disagree with that but like I said, he has so far proved so inept that any support appears to have no positive outcome.

If you're going to tell people not to call for his head then I believe it should be the same for people who support him. Both are as pointless IMO.

I'm quite content in the 'I won't be stepping foot in villa park again' camp. The camp that is probably the only one that will get him out.

To put it bluntly, times have changed.

The club isn't really a club any more, it's a private business who you give money to in return of tickets.

No one from the club (that's important enough) will realistically meet with fans, listen and action what they have to say.

By all means, if enough people do this, then something may happen, but you're going to need 10s of thousands of people to do anything and really, we haven't got the local fan base to do it.

Times haven't changed, maybe some fans have though. 

Funnily enough clubs in 68 were privately owned, and we bought tickets in those days too.

The board in 68 weren't falling over themselves to talk to us either.

Your right we do need thousands to do something, care to be one of them?

You seriously believe we don't "have the local  fan base" to do it.

It's all about money now, and the fans don't have enough influence financially to hold any weight.

In the 60s the average footballers wage was £15-£20 a week.  The average ticket was £1.50.

Now the average Premier League player earns £25-30,000 a week, the average ticket is £40.

Proportionally, 1 single ticket today is 750x less than the wage packet average players earn.

It used to take 13 people to pay for a players wages.  Now it takes 750 of us. 

Whereas being in the PL is worth roughly £100m a year in TV/rights etc revenue.

No one would care if 0 fans turned up, as long as we stay in the PL.

It all comes down to money, it all comes down to Sky, it all comes down to we can do **** all, unfortunately, as much as I WANT to agree with you that people power would work, it just won't.

Your way out on your stats from the sixties. Top players earned a lot more than £20 a week.

And I used to get in for 50p

I'm in total agreement with you on the obscene amounts of money in the game today, and have always hated Skys malign influence with a passion.

But I still think we count. Indeed without us there is no game worth a light.

We can watch this club die on our knees, or stand up and be counted.

Thats our choice.

• Like 2

Cant believe its gone as far as to blame the supporters. Cant you see what this guy (Lambert)is doing to us and our club. Wake the f*** up!!!!

Who is blaming the fans? Lmao. The irony in your post is pure cringe.

Dead man walking

Is this fantasy, or have you raised 200 million pounds and are the new owner of Aston Villa?

If you have, welcome Mr KHV, sir, it's an honour to exchange opinions with you (even though mine are better than yours in my most exceedingly humble opinion).

• Like 2

I've read on here on many occasions including today. Chanting at Lambert does not help the team. Our expectations are much to high. We never give managers a chance when its all the owners fault......

It gets to the stage where protesting makes no difference as the team is as bad as it gets.

That Time is now!

Thing is that when Lambert is given reasonable money he keeps on buying good players. That's a great trait to have, and most managers don't show it in the same way. There may be some legitimate questions about tactics and coaching etc, but ultimately if you keep on buying good players you will eventually end up with a good team. Let's hope Mr Gil contributes to that legacy. 

• Like 3

I've read on here on many occasions including today. Chanting at Lambert does not help the team. Our expectations are much to high. We never give managers a chance when its all the owners fault......

It gets to the stage where protesting makes no difference as the team is as bad as it gets.

That Time is now!

Ye so who is blaming the fans?

That Time is now!

Why is the time to protest immediately after making our most exciting signing in two years? Is it traditional?

That Time is now!

Why is the time to protest immediately after making our most exciting signing in two years? Is it traditional?

Who said it is our most exciting signing in 2 years?

Thing is that when Lambert is given reasonable money he keeps on buying good players. That's a great trait to have, and most managers don't show it in the same way. There may be some legitimate questions about tactics and coaching etc, but ultimately if you keep on buying good players you will eventually end up with a good team. Let's hope Mr Gil contributes to that legacy.

But we've kept buying good players and we've gone backwards. We're also going to lose good players in the summer.

• Like 2

No you don't. To get a group of 'good players' to perform together as a 'good team' you need other ingredients.

No you don't. To get a group of 'good players' to perform together as a 'good team' you need other ingredients.

Yep, you might as well appoint a scout as manager if that's your recipe for success. Buy players and hope it works.

Â