Paul Lambert

limpid

Thing is that when Lambert is given reasonable money he keeps on buying good players. That's a great trait to have, and most managers don't show it in the same way. There may be some legitimate questions about tactics and coaching etc, but ultimately if you keep on buying good players you will eventually end up with a good team. Let's hope Mr Gil contributes to that legacy.

But we've kept buying good players and we've gone backwards. We're also going to lose good players in the summer.

We haven't gone backwards. We will lose good players in the summer, but I trust Lambert to replace them. 

Thing is that when Lambert is given reasonable money he keeps on buying good players. That's a great trait to have, and most managers don't show it in the same way. There may be some legitimate questions about tactics and coaching etc, but ultimately if you keep on buying good players you will eventually end up with a good team. Let's hope Mr Gil contributes to that legacy. 

No you don't. To get a group of 'good players' to perform together as a 'good team' you need other ingredients.

To get them to fulfil their potential, yes, I agree, but if you don't sign the right players in the first place then you're kind of stuffed and you're usually stuck with them too. 

But we've kept buying good players and we've gone backwards. We're also going to lose good players in the summer.

We haven't gone backwards. We will lose good players in the summer, but I trust Lambert to replace them. 

No you don't. To get a group of 'good players' to perform together as a 'good team' you need other ingredients.

To get them to fulfil their potential, yes, I agree, but if you don't sign the right players in the first place then you're kind of stuffed and you're usually stuck with them too. 

That's a fair point.

I think from the end of his first season we've gone massively backwards.

I agree that that was our best period under Lambert but ultimately it was only a run of 7 or 8 games, which was essentially built on Benteke being an absolute boss. Season on season we haven't gone backwards, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more progress for sure. I still believe it can happen this season, we're a lot stronger as a squad and in a far better position than we were at this stage of that first year. 

• Like 1

Yep, you might as well appoint a scout as manager if that's your recipe for success. Buy players and hope it works.

You might have just hit the nail on the head there in summng up Lamberts reign. And/Or any other managers who prefer to be less hands on in training

I agree that that was our best period under Lambert but ultimately it was only a run of 7 or 8 games, which was essentially built on Benteke being an absolute boss. Season on season we haven't gone backwards, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more progress for sure. I still believe it can happen this season, we're a lot stronger as a squad and in a far better position than we were at this stage of that first year.

I disagree. I think last year was worse than the first and this one has the potential to be even worse. I can't see it being better than his first with 42 points. We've gone nowhere with him and potentially this could be a disaster season if we don't start scoring goals at a higher rate.

• Like 1

i'd love to keep lambert as our chief scout and get a new manager in tbh

I wonder if Lambert is the one who identified them or he's the one who looked at the list and picked them. Full credit to him for signing the good players he has but it would be interesting to know if he's been the one who spotted them. A superb talent if he is.

• Like 1

I wonder if Lambert is the one who identified them or he's the one who looked at the list and picked them. Full credit to him for signing the good players he has but it would be interesting to know if he's been the one who spotted them. A superb talent if he is.

Pretty sure it's the scouts job to spot players.

The manager tries to sign the one(s) he likes from the list given to him.

I'm sorry but 12 goals all season (including home games against Blackpool and Leyton Orient) is about as backwards as you can get without becoming Irish ;)

I don't care that we have the 5th best defence or whatever it is, I watch football for goals not clean sheets.

I disagree. I think last year was worse than the first and this one has the potential to be even worse. I can't see it being better than his first with 42 points. We've gone nowhere with him and potentially this could be a disaster season if we don't start scoring goals at a higher rate.

Fair enough. I can fully understand why you don't think we'll beat 42 points but I actually think that we will, although it will need Benteke firing again. Here's hoping. 

• Like 1

Fair enough. I can fully understand why you don't think we'll beat 42 points but I actually think that we will, although it will need Benteke firing again. Here's hoping. 

I love your extreme optimism but for us to achieve another 21+ points we will have to win a few games and that means scoring a few goals. What has changed for you to believe that this sudden and remarkable upturn in fortune will occur?

I love your extreme optimism but for us to achieve another 21+ points we will have to win a few games and that means scoring a few goals. What has changed for you to believe that this sudden and remarkable upturn in fortune will occur?

I think because all it needs is a few goals as the team, defensively, is solid. Hopefully Gil (and any other signing) will make a difference but Benteke is the key man. 21 points from 17 games is not exorbitant if we can get him firing again, and I think that we can. He's better than he's shown in the last few games. Perhaps that's optimistic but it's certainly not absurd. 

I think because all it needs is a few goals as the team, defensively, is solid. Hopefully Gil (and any other signing) will make a difference but Benteke is the key man. 21 points from 17 games is not exorbitant if we can get him firing again, and I think that we can. He's better than he's shown in the last few games. Perhaps that's optimistic but it's certainly not absurd. 

21 points from 17 games is definitely not exorbitant or absurd for an average fan expectation of an average team, in fact it is actually quite a low expectation.

Unfortunately, results and performances thus far mean that it is unlikely to happen.

I sincerely hope it does but also I do hope that people won't put too much expectation on Gil to be our saviour. He is a 22 year old coming to a foreign country and playing a different brand of football. I expect him to take time to fit in and it may even be next season before we see exactly what he is capable of.

Benteke has scored 3 goals all created by himself. Hopefully Gill adds something but I can't see it clicking to an extent that sees benteke start scoring loads.

I can understand that DC, but I hope you're wrong. Time will tell. 

Edited by PatrickCousens

If you want to make your point then just dont go to VP and part with your hard earned cash to watch us fail to score again, dont take a bed sheet or a crappy banner, they are embarrassing, small time and never work anyway.

Like your profile pic?!

Sorry fella, couldn't resist. ;)

I sincerely hope it does but also I do hope that people won't put too much expectation on Gil to be our saviour. He is a 22 year old coming to a foreign country and playing a different brand of football. I expect him to take time to fit in and it may even be next season before we see exactly what he is capable of.

I agree with you actually, but even if we don't see him at his best, he can at least provide a bit of balance, get beyond the striker and create space. When Benteke was at his best Gabby and especially Weimann were doing this a lot, they don;t tend to so much anymore. It's not just Gil though, Benteke needs to sort himself out a bit, and Lambert needs to tweak his tactics. 

21 points from 17 games is definitely not exorbitant or absurd for an average fan expectation of an average team, in fact it is actually quite a low expectation.

Unfortunately, results and performances thus far mean that it is unlikely to happen.

It really does show how poor it is, when like you say a pretty low expectation of 21 points from 17 games looks likely to be a struggle.  And that's after 3 years of him being here.

Â