Paul Lambert

limpid

I think managers are given too much credit by football fans. When a team is doing well the manager is a genius and when the team is struggling the manager is a joke. Look at Moyes, Martinez or Pulis for a few of examples of managers who's standing amongst fans seems to flip season by season depending on how their teams are doing. 

The far bigger factor predicting how well a team will do is how much the club is able to spend on the playing staff. We can change our manager over and over again but we will still be mediocre until we can offer the wages required to build a more competitive squad.

I agree in part with this. However you see I think Lambert whilst not being belessed with a great budget in terms of fees and wages, although it is better than some, has in fact put a decent squad of players together.

You know though one of my biggest issues with Lambert over the last year or so, and it was highlighted again yesterday, is too many times we have lost to teams not due to a lack of quality but due to a lack of desire. At the arse end of last season, when we were in a dire position and should have been fighting for our lives, we lost to Palace and Fulham not because they were better than us but because they wanted it more. The same happened yesterday. The reason we have taken two points from games over the last 4 weeks against West Brom, Sunderland, Palace, Swansea and Leicester isn't down to them teams being better than us or paying more in wages it is down to a manager that fails to get the best out of the players at his disposal and fails to get them playing with a heart and desire that ensures they give everything for 90 minutes. Leicester yesterday were full of heart and desire and wanted it more than we did and that is unforgivable. This issue is also highlighted by the fact we have on a number of occasions gone out of cups to lower league opposition under Lambert, again due to him not getting the best out of his players.

Long term of course a new manager is not going to take us back into the top 8 with the current owner and anyone expecting a change in manager to achieve that is living in cloud cuckoo land. What a new manager can offer us though is the chance to organize a decent squad of players and get them playing effective football that gets the best out of those players, gets them giving their all and most importantly gets us results.

The long term will only be sorted by the removal of the owner. The short to medium term can though instantly be improved by a change in manager.

Edited by markavfc40

Are there people seriously thinking Lambert can steer us out of this ?

11 goals all season is the killer stat - the way we are going we will lucky to end up with 20 goals

We won't stay up scoring 20 goals..

I don't think anyone is suggesting he can, they are hoping he can because he is going to be the one attempting to do it. All people are doing is looking for viable solutions to our current situation.

I think the most viable solution to improve our situation is to get rid of Lambert sharpish. I have no faith that given more money he will improve our fortunes on the pitch. If he can't find a system after 3 years to get the best out of what we've got I doubt with another 10-20mil things will improve. He's had most of his players available now for quite some time yet he is still failing dramatically to get them playing anything like decent football.

Are there people seriously thinking Lambert can steer us out of this ?

11 goals all season is the killer stat - the way we are going we will lucky to end up with 20 goals

We won't stay up scoring 20 goals..

I don't think anyone is suggesting he can, they are hoping he can because he is going to be the one attempting to do it. All people are doing is looking for viable solutions to our current situation.

I think the most viable solution to improve our situation is to get rid of Lambert sharpish. I have no faith that given more money he will improve our fortunes on the pitch. If he can't find a system after 3 years to get the best out of what we've got I doubt with another 10-20mil things will improve. He's had most of his players available now for quite some time yet he is still failing dramatically to get them playing anything like decent football.

Viable means feasible. It isn't feasible that Lambert is going to get sacked by Lerner.

So I just posted #lambertout on Twitter and got this advice...

lambertin.jpg

We just need to wait til Sturridge returns it seems :lol:

Thats bloody commical haha.

It just isn't working for anyone atm.

ATM? - His record shows it has not worked for him throughout his time at Villa. The desperation to avoid long term analysis of Lambert's poor performance in charge of Villa is frankly toe curling. Simply put Paul Lambert has and is failing. We all know of the restrictions that Lerner has placed on the club but Lambert was happy to continue to steal a wage when offered and especially with the frankly ridiculous contract extension. The man is so out of his depth he is like Ronnie Corbett trying to shop in the Big & Tall section.

He is disruptive, divisive and has no strategy in terms of one of, if not the key element of the club, the playing style (at all levels). Previous managers were criticised for their teflon suit approach where none of the issues were their fault, see DOL and McLeish as examples, so what do we see from the man with the suit so shiney and slippy it could be sponsored by Mr Sheen? Nothing, blaming the fans - see the comments after last match. We now see more drivel after the Leicester debacle about new players and how they will fix the problem. Why should anyone believe him? He has failed, failed at all levels. Get rid now and replace with .........

It just isn't working for anyone atm.

ATM? - His record shows it has not worked for him throughout his time at Villa. The desperation to avoid long term analysis of Lambert's poor performance in charge of Villa is frankly toe curling. Simply put Paul Lambert has and is failing. We all know of the restrictions that Lerner has placed on the club but Lambert was happy to continue to steal a wage when offered and especially with the frankly ridiculous contract extension. The man is so out of his depth he is like Ronnie Corbett trying to shop in the Big & Tall section.

He is disruptive, divisive and has no strategy in terms of one of, if not the key element of the club, the playing style (at all levels). Previous managers were criticised for their teflon suit approach where none of the issues were their fault, see DOL and McLeish as examples, so what do we see from the man with the suit so shiney and slippy it could be sponsored by Mr Sheen? Nothing, blaming the fans - see the comments after last match. We now see more drivel after the Leicester debacle about new players and how they will fix the problem. Why should anyone believe him? He has failed, failed at all levels. Get rid now and replace with .........

I said for anyone, Lambert, Lerner, Players etc At times it has worked for some but at the moment nothing is working for anyone and we are in the shit. I'm not avoiding any long term analysis of him whatsoever. It isn't working and hasn't been for a long time. He has tried numerous ways of playing and players for his system but very rarely have they come off.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Viable means feasible. It isn't feasible that Lambert is going to get sacked by Lerner.

I know what viable means and for what it's worth I feel it is the only practical solution to our situation. The only way it wouldn't be feasible for Lerner to sack him would be the cost of the contract nothing else.

I know what viable means and for what it's worth I feel it is the only practical solution to our situation. The only way it wouldn't be feasible for Lerner to sack him would be the cost of the contract nothing else.

I'm not disputing that either. I just don't think Lerner will sack him so I don't think it is the viable option. In terms of getting us playing better football though I think it is so we agree on that.

Edited by sexbelowsound

we've been here before though and nothing happens, it feels like even relegation wouldn't get Lambert sacked!

The one hope is that he is still yet to really get the 'McLeish treatment' from the home fans. If that starts happening, then it might even make his position untenable in the eyes of the board.

we've been here before though and nothing happens, it feels like even relegation wouldn't get Lambert sacked!

The one hope is that he is still yet to really get the 'McLeish treatment' from the home fans. If that starts happening, then it might even make his position untenable in the eyes of the board.

I'd imagine that is not too far away. I said last night that the Liverpool game is the worst possible game Lambert could have at home. This isn't a geat Liverpool side by any stretch of the imagination but one that given our current run of poor form and clueless approach then it is a game we are very unlikely to get anything from. Being Liverpool and a 3pm Saturday kick off it will be a big crowd in VP and I fear come full time or even during the final embers of the game then Lambert will be getting dogs abuse and feel the full wrath of a Villa Park crowd just as McLeish did agaisnt Bolton. Whether that will be enough to put the final nail in his coffin is up for debate but for what it is worth then I believe it could well be.

Edited by markavfc40

Three things that continually frustrate me:

Blind adherence to 4-3-3 whether it is working or not. Our width is the full backs, one cannot cross and the other is outnumbered because he can.

Our inability to beat a man, when teams are organised the only way to pull them out of shape is turn them (pace in behind with Gabby) or players beating their man. Apart from Grealish, nobody is prepared to do it.

Lack of runners beyond the ball, we never under or overlap. Therefore, we are continually outnumbered and forced back (then usually across). Let's drive on and believe we are going to score, not under commit because we fear losing it and being punished.

All of the above are attacking fundamentals and coachable, so why aren't we working on them?

What on earth were they thinking of to give him a new four year contract.

Could they not just have waited. It is not like another club was going to jump in to grab him.

Absolutely crazy! Lerner really has made some stupid decisions during his tenure.

Â