Paul Lambert

limpid

I think we're going to struggle to bring in a quality replacement - we can't promise a new man a job beyond the next few months, if Lerner sells, the new owner will want his own manager and whoever we were to appoint would most likely be gone. That will leave us with an extremely limited list of candidates.

Quite frankly though, I'm prepared to take that risk - I'll take Kevin McDonald or whoever it ends up being over the football we've seen today.

You posted this as I was writing mine, that is a huge risk though isn't it? WTF does Lerner/Fox say in an interview to a prospective manager? "Errrr, yeah, well, you'll deffo get till May to keep us up, then we might sell up, or not, if we don't you'll have no substantial backing..."

Not exactly going to have manager's knocking our door down is it?

It would seem that he's lost the dressing room, players begrudgingly following this new system but not doing a lot else.

If this is the case, then it's time for change...but until we get a new owner, keep dreaming of the pie in the sky.  I'm absolutely convinced that until the owner is gone, the manager stays - and he already put the for sale sign up, but nobody wants to buy us :(

Are we really that tough a sell ..WBA and Palace got manager's ..do they have significant transfer funds ..no ..they are also prone to sacking managers if things don't go well very quickly.

But Pulis has been promised funds and Pardew has gone to a club where he is loved and has been promised funds also. Watch them both comfortably outspend up this window.

Under Lerner we are an incredibly hard sell.

Are we really that tough a sell ..WBA and Palace got manager's ..do they have significant transfer funds ..no ..they are also prone to sacking managers if things don't go well very quickly.

They can at least say they have a longer term plan than getting to the summer though.

Clubs that have owners with some kind of ambition with the clubs they own.  Without this ambition you have a two fold problem, an owner who will be happy to plod along with the current manager regardless of what's happening and an owner who won't have any ambition to sell to any potential managers.

We're double **** with our owner.

Wonder if he'll be out by Easter

Unless he resigns, or we get a buyer...I'm going to say no.

Such a shit place to be right now, even if he resigns...the job description we have to offer is only attractive to certain kinds of vermin management.

I think we're going to struggle to bring in a quality replacement - we can't promise a new man a job beyond the next few months, if Lerner sells, the new owner will want his own manager and whoever we were to appoint would most likely be gone. That will leave us with an extremely limited list of candidates.

Thing is, the dire football can't exactly be making us an attractive prospect for potential buyers. Unless we can start showing some potential for improvement I can't anyone wanting to blow one hundred million on us.

Quite frankly though, I'm prepared to take that risk - I'll take Kevin McDonald or whoever it ends up being over the football we've seen today.

This is exactly where I am at myself with regards to the "who" question. Today was the worst I've seen us play since New Years Day, which is in turn as bad as any of the dross McLeish served up, worse in some ways.

I'd take OBE as manager right now. Just give me something fresh.

• Like 1

Thing is, the dire football can't exactly be making us an attractive prospect for potential buyers. Unless we can start showing some potential for improvement I can't anyone wanting to blow one hundred million on us.

I think the opposite to be honest. We are comparatively cheap to other clubs and a slight change or improvement and us Villa fans will worship the new owners.....win,win.

A club that was doing ok and mid range spending would need more for owners to feel appreciated. Us fans are at our lowest and will cling on to any good news or improvement.

No top managers are going to jump at the chance but I think plenty of out of work guys would take the opportunity to manage in the prem and either get their names out there again or chance another year if the club isn't sold.

We do not need the next big thing or a manager to come and build something here. That's for when we sell the club.

Right now we need new ideas and a new approach for the fans and the players. We can attract that.

• Like 1

On 'nobody could do any better', it's just obvious garbage. There's not one single manager who could get this squad of players to score more than 11 goals in 21 games? 

On who, as I've said before, literally anyone would be an improvement, seeing as the players have clearly stopped playing for Lambert. Somebody like a Tuchel would be perfect, Laudrup maybe a bit more realistic, but it honestly doesn't really matter. We need new ideas, and we need a roll of the dice. As Xela said earlier - games against Leicester, Swansea, Sunderland, WBA and Palace - 5 games, no goals, 4 teams below us in the table. He's taking us down, he really is. 

• Like 1

I think if we drop any lower a lot of managers will be interested. This squad is under performing and any manager with half a brain cell will look good, all they have to do is score a goal or two and the fans are happy.

lol, the sad truth is...score a few goals and I'd be over the **** moon.

• Like 1

Really is hard to defend him these days - 11 goals in 21 games is pathetic. Only problem is, who would want to come and work for Lerner? I'd say get shot off him in an instant if I knew we could bring in somebody even half decent.

Edited by Mantis

Today was a hard watch. Very hard.

I do like Lambert, I don't like all the abuse he gets in what must be acknowledged with the off field mess at the club is a very hard job. It's all gone a bit sour though, today wasn't a must win but it was a mustn't lose. We're now well adrift from the middle teams in the table and firmly in a group of 7 fighting the drop. there was fighting in the away end too apparently and the whole Clark and James thing was ugly. Lambert's substitutions didn't change us or make us more of a threat and you coudl see players being frustrated with each other even before they scored.

The question is what to do about it? There are more than enough reasons to sack him, and I have to say that now I'm not entirely in disagreement. The mitigating factors are well documented on here too. They all stem from one man though as I see it now, and that isn't Lambert it's Lerner. Lerner needs to grow a pair of bollocks though either way.

He needs to either be couragious and sack his manager, followed by getting a new man in very very quickly and putting £20m in his hand to go out and get 3 players so we can turn this around and get out of the mire. Or he needs to back Lambert with the same amount of cash to get the creativity in which he admitted he needs in the post match interview.

If the players still believe in what Lambert is trying to do then maybe option 2 is the safest way of avoiding disaster. I'm having a hard time convincing myself the same though at the moment, mainly because we saw the same front 3 that finished the game today look so dangerous at the end of Lambert's first season in charge. If he can't ge that level out of those three again, then maybe someone else can. Maybe we do need a change.

If so though he needs to be gone in the morning and the new man needs to be in sharpish. Otherwise things will go from bad to worse. Even then it's a hell of a gamble, especially as I'm not sure a decent manager will want to work under Lambert's remit. So change will have to come from Lerner in order to tempt someone decent in.

Very crap situation all round, we should be at least 7 points further up the table than we are with the games we have had. Today we were just awful.

Something interesting about what you said about those front three who did so well at the end of Lambert's first season - they've all received new contracts since then! Makes you wonder if any of them really do give a toss about the club.

We really missed a trick not getting Pullis in. There's not a doubt in my mind that the Baggies will finish well above us now. Whilst his football might be poor, it's organised and players know what's expected of them, and what their roles are. Watching this Villa team, it seems like players are unsure on how they're meant to attack. It's such a shame that it's not working for Lambert but it's time for change. 

Lerner won't sack him though, and he wont spend either. 

We shouldn't take our frustrations out on Lambert, he's a professional trying to do the best job he can. We should take our frustrations out on Lerner for not backing him, not sacking him, and for giving him a 4 year 'kin contract. 

• Like 3

We really missed a trick not getting Pullis in. There's not a doubt in my mind that the Baggies will finish well above us now. Whilst his football might be poor, it's organised and players know what's expected of them, and what their roles are. Watching this Villa team, it seems like players are unsure on how they're meant to attack. It's such a shame that it's not working for Lambert but it's time for change. 

Lerner won't sack him though, and he wont spend either. 

We shouldn't take our frustrations out on Lambert, he's a professional trying to do the best job he can. We should take our frustrations out on Lerner for not backing him, not sacking him, and for giving him a 4 year 'kin contract. 

This is pretty much how I feel right now. 

Â