Paul Lambert

limpid

How's he going to rebuild his reputation working for an owner who will give him limited funds and wages?

Same way he built it I would imagine.

That's going from championship to that. Can't see him doing the same now. Better teams than us will give him the chance.

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

though on a positive note we won teh possession as some fans wanted us to do ;)

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

I don't think it should be used to mock fans who want more possession, but it does raise the point that the clamour around the possession stat is overplayed.

I'm not advocating our usual style, but take the Hull game for example.

We won that game, comfortably. But there's people on here who aren't happy with the performance because we didn't have enough of the ball.

Then compare that to last night, we lost comfortably but dominated possession.

It has to be used in context. Too many people seem to be focused on possession alone.

No we didn't. We were clinging on by our finger tips at the end with no control of the game. We were comfortable at half time, but gradually got more and more nervous after long spells without the ball. Then the last 10 were awful and terrifying to watch.

We had more shots and possession than any other game this season because we were playing bottom of the league.

If we averaged 65% rather than 38% I have a feeling we'd be a little better off in the long run.

Nobody is denying that.

BUt our biggest problem at the moment is our inability to create chances.

Last night showed that even with a huge amount of possession, it didn't matter.

People are clamouring for more possession. WHat we need right now is attacking creativity and the ability to give our strikers chances. Yes we need to increase possession in the long run, but people talk about it as if that should be top of the list.

It shouldn't, and last night showed that.

• Like 1

link

On his side’s lack of goals, Lambert added: “I tend not to get them down on that. They will come out of the traps on Sunday [against Tottenham] and I know we are going to be all right in that department because, when Benteke gets up to speed and, with Agbonlahor, Weimann, N’Zogbia and Bent, there are guys there with goals in them and it will happen.”

'It will happen'? What's next? 'The law of averages' or some other rubbish?

Of course, it may happen and I hope it does but he 'knows we are going to be all right in that department' and 'it will happen'. I hope there's something more to his management than that.

If I have counted correctly, then we have scored 11 goals in 19 games including Leyton Orient cup game since we beat Chelsea at VP last season. I struggle to see where the next goal is coming from bar Benteke. That is something we have seen since CB was injured last season, and nothing has been done to rectify that, we are still relying on CB to save our skins again which is unfair on someone coming back from such a serious long term injury. Terrible management, from someone who is clearly out of his depth that this wasn't rectified during the summer.

Do you not think that if we'd worked on our possession game over the last two years that we'd be in a better place to create chances. I think the two are linked. If you don't have much of the ball you're not going to be creating chance after chance.

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

though on a positive note we won teh possession as some fans wanted us to do ;)

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

I don't think it should be used to mock fans who want more possession, but it does raise the point that the clamour around the possession stat is overplayed.

I'm not advocating our usual style, but take the Hull game for example.

We won that game, comfortably. But there's people on here who aren't happy with the performance because we didn't have enough of the ball.

Then compare that to last night, we lost comfortably but dominated possession.

It has to be used in context. Too many people seem to be focused on possession alone.

No we didn't. We were clinging on by our finger tips at the end with no control of the game. We were comfortable at half time, but gradually got more and more nervous after long spells without the ball. Then the last 10 were awful and terrifying to watch.

We had more shots and possession than any other game this season because we were playing bottom of the league.

If we averaged 65% rather than 38% I have a feeling we'd be a little better off in the long run.

You have to take into account the fact that we played last year's top 5 already as to why we're averaging 38% so far. We averaged 45% and 47% in the last 2 seasons. Personally I'd rather we stick to the counterattacking style, because we clearly are not good enough to break teams down while they sit back. 65% against the worst team in the league and not being able to score pretty much backs that up.

I'll just add I'd obviously love to win every game 2-1 with no possession but it's unlikely with a side as bad as ours.

I want to see us have a bit of flexibility. Playing on the counter is OK against the big teams but it would be nice to see us control a game and win say 2-0 without hanging on at the end. I can't wait for the Burnley game... Going into it on the back of eight losses :(

The last few years, half the time I don't think we are set up to counter, it just ends up happening because we sit so deep with everyone scared of getting the ball into their feet. We then break, win a corner, float it to the keeper and retreat back to our own box.

Do you not think that if we'd worked on our possession game over the last two years that we'd be in a better place to create chances. I think the two are linked. If you don't have much of the ball you're not going to be creating chance after chance.

Yet last night we had all of the ball, and lost 2-0.

Stop inferring that I'm not advocating a higher possession game.

All I'm saying is it's not the priority right now. The priority should be doing something with the possession we have. 

Last night showed that we can have the ball for ages and do nothing with it. I'd rather we had the ball for 30% of the game and actually look like scoring when we do have it, than have the ball for 70% of the game and do **** all with it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

How's he going to rebuild his reputation working for an owner who will give him limited funds and wages?

Same way he built it I would imagine.

That's going from championship to that. Can't see him doing the same now. Better teams than us will give him the chance.

I'm confused. We are talking about Moyes.... who spent **** all at Everton over what? 10 years? 

Villa would be ideal for him. 

It's just getting so depressing, we are totally devoid of any creativity. The sad thing is just the same as we've seen for 3 years now. And as someone said on twitter, it does feel like i've watched this exact match 10 times under Lambert.

The post-match interview doesn't make it any better. Benteke, Bent, CNZ, Gabby and Weimann all have goals in them!? Well maybe the tactics are the problem then!

I've always been in the 'give him some time' camp as I believe stability is the best thing for the club, but after the recent performances and lack of tactically know-how from the manager, I've had enough. It's embarrassing and I've had enough.

Teams like Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund never relied on possession for chances. There are other ways to create chances.

Yet last night we had all of the ball, and lost 2-0.

Stop inferring that I'm not advocating a higher possession game.

All I'm saying is it's not the priority right now. The priority should be doing something with the possession we have.

Last night showed that we can have the ball for ages and do nothing with it. I'd rather we had the ball for 30% of the game and actually look like scoring when we do have it, than have the ball for 70% of the game and do **** all with it.

Last night showed we have no clue what to do when we have the ball because for most of the time Lambert has had us playing defensive counter attacking football. So of course our players aren't brilliant when we play poor teams that allow us to have more of the ball. Cup losses are a perfect example of this.

The priority should be doing something with the possession we have but that's part of a team comfortable with the ball. We're so limited with movement and passing in the final 3rd and IMO that's mainly down to the coaching we have at the club. I don't think you can just start creating plenty of good chances without first keeping the ball better. There needs to be a building process and lambert, for whatever reason, has failed to implement this.

You want us to go from crawling to running but the problem is we haven't spent the last two years learning to walk yet.

The progress of the team is miles behind where it should be.

QPR were poor yesterday but they seemed to have a game plan which worked. They knew we could have lots of the ball and wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Reminded me of our cup exits to lower league opposition under Lambert. I'd love to know what goes on on the training ground.

I think I'd sum my feelings up on this matter by saying 'I don't care'.

Stay/Go, whatever. There'll be no mighty change in our form if we get a great manager or a crap one. The players aren't good enough, the investment isn't high enough, football in Britain is broken and I'm nearly at the point of accepting this is Aston Villa now - partially our own (Lerner's) fault and partially because of the modern game/ financial 'fairplay/ status quo maintainer'. We're going to be a mediocre club who may occasionally have an average season and then have all our better players sold (Vlaar/ Delph signed yet?!) or have an awful one and be relegated.

I just couldnt care less if Lambert stays or goes now as i think any change in fortunes will be both miniscule and short-lived. 

This is completely on the money.

For what it's worth, I want Lambert out, but he's not going because he just signed a new contract. But then part of me says I would want anyone out who was in right now because realistically who'd be doing any better? We're such a nothing club now.

Pretty much ^

My complete apathy towards football now is beyond belief. Growing up, I never thought I'd not care about football or Villa as much as I do now.

Football is completely broken.

If Lambert goes, so what? We get a manager in who performs miracles and we finish 6th. Then what? We sell all of the players that helped us get there and 'go again'?

I'm so disillusioned by this sport. It's actually quite upsetting.

Teams like Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund never relied on possession for chances. There are other ways to create chances.

They have some stand out quality players. We don't. We can't expect to see little of the ball and yet create chance after chance.

QPR were poor yesterday but they seemed to have a game plan which worked.

Ironically its the one we normally use which so many people have been unhappy with.

Football is played in many different ways. The fact it worked for QPR last night has nothing to do with how it hasn't worked for us over the last few years.

They have some stand out quality players. We don't. We can't expect to see little of the ball and yet create chance after chance.

Thats irrelevant. You are talking about possession and chances being a better way of creating chances. What i'm saying is, regardless of the players available, there are ways to creates chances without having large amounts of possession and those teams, amongst many prove that.

They also have 2 of the best managers in the world and extremely clear tactics and roles for every player.

Â