Paul Lambert

limpid

I think the main problem here is we only have one way of playing and when that doesn't work there is no plan B.

After 2-3 seasons in charge, this plan is wearing very quickly on the fans and probably the players.

Forget keeping the ball I'd argue half the players feel nervous in possession let alone trying to keep it and open up teams. The lack of coaching on this is quite evident and actually quite sad.

• Like 2

Last night was all Lamberts fault. Cleverley hardly in the game as he played left wing. Gabby started high up then ended up marking a CM again! Weimann being weimann. Then even though it looked like they were going to get a 2nd nothing changes until they do. Cole has been talked about as a no10 since he signed. What does he do? Plays him right side with Gabby still in the hole!!!! On what planet is Gabby a creative no 10?? He can run that's it get him wide and let him do the only thing he can. Yet another record has been achieved and I reckon in the coming weeks he'll break a few more aswell as our spirit. Lerner needs to act. Tom Fox needs to realise that under PL we won't be able to grow as a club. Get him out. Get Moyes in. He can deliver top 10 and higher on a budget. If any body is going to the open training on Thursday let PL know how the fans feel!!!

The Burnley game at the end of November would be a good time for maximizing the new manager 'bump'. Lots of winnable games in December. Gives a new manager a full month at least to decide what he needs in January too.

Spurs, West Ham, and Southampton are going to be tough tough games now.

Edited by El-Reacho

After what happened at United Moyes will be looking for stability in his next role and a chance to rebuild his reputation.

I really don't see him being interested in a club under the ownership of a guy still cutting costs and looking to sell or in trying to compete on a £10m summer budget. 

Talk of Moyes as a replacement for Lambert is utterly unrealistic in my view.

Would Moyes get a bigger club after what happened at United though? He needs a club to rebuild his reputation. For me Villa are an easy fix. We have a decent squad 1/2 creative players and a style of play and we'd be fine so he'd repair his reputation quite quickly. He's not going to get a top 6 side he needs to get a club in there himself.

Is Moyes still on the Man U payroll earning silly money or did he get a fixed sum when he was fired?

(As always I rather we looked outside the UK if we're hiring a new manager)

might be wrong but I dont think any foreign manager with no UK mnagerial experience has ever saved a team in a relegation battle on a mid season appointment. look at Solskjaer and Magath last season

You might be right, but every situation is diffrent and it's all about finding the right manager. Imo we must look abroad to do this.

For what it's worth Southampton were 15th when they sacked Adkins and hired Pochettino

How's he going to rebuild his reputation working for an owner who will give him limited funds and wages?

Same way he built it I would imagine.
That's going from championship to that. Can't see him doing the same now. Better teams than us will give him the chance.
I'm confused. We are talking about Moyes.... who spent **** all at Everton over what? 10 years?

Villa would be ideal for him.

We're talking about Moyes, who had the biggest job in the world and failed. I don't think at this stage in his career he's going to take on another 10 yr challenge at a team with little ambition. I may be wrong though. I guess we'll see where Moyes ends up.

Can anyone name these clubs better than us who will give Moyes a job?

I honestly don't understand this. You're massively contradicting yourself.

Last night we DID keep the ball better. And we created nothing (much).

IMO you're the one who wants to go from crawling to running. Possession football isn't something that can be done at the flick of a switch. And imo there's no point concentrating on keeping the ball better if we're currently doing nothing with it. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm not saying we should be telling our players to NOT keep the ball better or that I'd PREFER to have 30% possession than 70%

Not sure how I'm contradicting myself. I've never said keep the ball better and we will create chances straight away. I agree its a long process and that's why we're in this mess. Because for his time here Lambert has only played one way and it doesn't work. His failure to improve this over a 2 year period is the reason we struggle now. Its the reason why in the past people have not been happy winning the odd game with low possession because its obvious what the long term picture looks like when doing that.

All I'm saying is Lambert shouldn't be telling the team that all they have to do is keep the ball, because we clearly have bigger problems than that. At the moment we look like we could have 90% possession and we still won't score. The possession stat is useless unless we're doing something with that possession.

I don't disagree. Any manager can ask the team to keep the ball better but like you say its what we do with it. What I'm saying is that if we'd worked on keeping the ball better over the last two years we'd be in a much better situation now where we would be doing more with it. Like you said its a long process. And this goes back to the game against hull, yes its a good win, but the way we play is not building for anything but the odd result that barely keeps us up.

I totally agree that its what you do with the ball. The frustration is that we haven't tried to become a team that is useful in possession and its now really effecting us. You seem to suggest that hasn't mattered, that it was all about the results but IMO its that kind of short term thinking that now sees us unable to do anything against the worst side in the league.

Someone said to me about Pulis, why would we want him "another MON" who walks out on the fans and club. That is a very good point. no thanks to Pulis

Moyes would be superb but he wouldnt come here. As much as I detest him I would take candleface he motivates players and gets the best out of what he has. i think QPR have been unlucky with injuries and will stay up

Over 70% want Lambert out speaks volumes

Edited by Demitri_C

Thinking  of Lamberts reign from the start, where has there been ANY improvement, at all ?

We still play with no width.

We still play with no obvious tactics or style.

He still appears to have no idea how to change or influence a game that is in progress.

The team consistently gets beaten by lower league opposition.

The team is (at best) 'functional'. There is no guile or nous in the team.

There is not even a gradual improvement, where we can see he has a plan that we are working towards.

We are purely a 'reactionary team'. We turn up and play the game by reacting to what the opposition does. We never impose ourselves on a game, never try and dictate the game.

IMO, that is down to a weak coach who actually has no idea on how to take a game to the opponents but is more content to sit back and hope something will happen.     

For those who continue to beat the 'give him more time' drum, I would like to ask why ?

In over 2 years there has been no improvement.

We see the same performances week in, week out.

We see the same approach (tactics!), week in, week out.

He isn't going to suddenly change his approach or magically turn into a great coach, over the next 2, 5,10 or 30 games. He is what he is. and that is not gong to change. 

And for that reason, he has to go.  

• Like 1

But the last 2 years is gone.

This is now. And the priority should be figuring out how to make the most of our attack, as that's our biggest problem.

Yes I agree, I disagreed with your comment regarding fans opinions to games we'd won with low possession over those two years.

I'm also not sure we can become a better attacking team now. I don't trust Lambert as a manager or a coach to improve us. I still also think possession and the ability to create chances are linked. Especially for our team. We don't have players who can beat defenders and we don't have players who can create chances out of nothing. It has to come from keeping the ball better and our movement and quality improving in the final 3rd.

No point in this thread as he wont walk and Lerner will not sack him...................................just think another 4 years of this non football.

Money or not there is no excuse for boring horrible football we play under Lambert, if anyone feels that we are going in the right direction then imo you aren't right in the head!

Is Moyes still on the Man U payroll earning silly money or did he get a fixed sum when he was fired?

(As always I rather we looked outside the UK if we're hiring a new manager)

might be wrong but I dont think any foreign manager with no UK mnagerial experience has ever saved a team in a relegation battle on a mid season appointment. look at Solskjaer and Magath last season

Pocahontas at Southampton did.

• Like 1

Club are looking long term, he is looking long term.

I see no problem with this and frankly he deserves it for the start we have had.

Not his biggest fan but this is good progress.

I think I like it. I hope the progress continues and if so I like it if we're looking for the long term.

On balance, I think he deserves it.

not his greatest fan but he has turned the club around and deserves his extension.we are a hell of a lot better than when he took over.in a better state on and off the pitch,just wish he hadn't bought karsa/culverhouse with him.

Excellent news. Keep the contracts coming Mr.Fox.

No brainer for me. Might as well get it sorted out and remove the uncertainty.

Good news.

Great news, really pleased he can continue rebuilding us.

Hopefully Delph, Vlaar and Grealish will folow suit.

Happy with this and he deserves it. Ironically, it looks like Solksjaer looks like he's getting the boot today as well. Funny how things pan out isn't it ?

Chuffed.

Excellent news!

Well deserved Lambo. 

Just looking back a month ago, you lot still happy with his new contract? It didn't seem many people were against him and most were happy he got a new deal yet the new polls today show a huge % want him out.

• Like 1

Â