Paul Lambert

limpid

i really dont see us getting another point this season :(

It really is tough seeing where any points will come from. The Southampton game is absolutely crucial - if we somehow manage to start the game well that will get the crowd going. The impetus is on the players to start the match in full force and the crowd will be right behind them. If we start the match by misplacing passes and the usual then we're in for a long afternoon.

Southampton looks our best bet - should we fail in that one - the pressure on the team for the Hull and swansea games would be to much for our players....

If somebody right now offered me 2pts between now and the end of the season - and gamble that thats enough - I would take it.

In the grand scheme things a point v southampton would be a point gained - yes i know ideally we need all 3 - but we haven't looked like it since Benteke put us 1-0 up v stoke.....

• Like 2

i really dont see us getting another point this season :(

It really is tough seeing where any points will come from. The Southampton game is absolutely crucial - if we somehow manage to start the game well that will get the crowd going. The impetus is on the players to start the match in full force and the crowd will be right behind them. If we start the match by misplacing passes and the usual then we're in for a long afternoon.

Southampton looks our best bet - should we fail in that one - the pressure on the team for the Hull and swansea games would be to much for our players....

If somebody right now offered me 2pts between now and the end of the season - and gamble that thats enough - I would take it.

In the grand scheme things a point v southampton would be a point gained - yes i know ideally we need all 3 - but we haven't looked like it since Benteke put us 1-0 up v stoke.....

Though im not saying it will happen (like you I'm also worried about where our next points are going to come from) and acknowledge that last season we had an in form Benteke, we did pull some crucial wins out the bag in the closing stages of last season. The main difference for me is that this season Lambert looks broken, almost reminiscent of MON in the latter stages of his Sunderland tenure.

I hope to god that the majority of us are wrong and we can do the same again.

Just imagine the financial hit Sunderland will take if they are relegated, with player contracts similar to what we had under O'Neill, Fulham are the same. Surely safeguarding the future of the clubs finances was and is a sensible idea. Sure, we have risked our premier league survival, which could be counter productive, but at least we wouldn't be hit as hard if we did go down. Plus, Lambert has spent £50m, it's not like we've not spent at all.

I would have agreed, well somewhat, however the actual accounts point to the fact the wage bill has increased, not been reduced. 

The accounts show the first year, not the picture now. It's obvious that originally there would be some increase in wages while the high earners, that we're trying to offload, and the cheaper replacements were pretty much all on the books together.

Now with a number of them off the books, and hopefully the remainder to follow, our wage bill should be far healthier.

• Like 1

If the wage bill has been reduced by a good, healthy margin, and we've stayed in the league, would that be considered progress - by either the fans or the board?

By the board maybe though I suspect they'll also be at least a little diappointed we haven't kicked on.

By the fans no, of course it's not progress. What it might be, at best, is the platform to build properly again, but that remains to be seen.

I've seen very little to suggest that 2 or 3 more expensive signings in the summer will lead to big improvement.

Really?

So you don't think that guzan, okore, vlaar, bacuna, Bertrand, delph, benteke, gabby. Along with 3 players of the same calibre will make much difference?

I beg to differ.

Under a new manager i think that would make a huge difference.

But if the manager is still Lambert and the signings are let's say Holt, Hoolahan Bertrand and Naughton, then no i don't see us making any big improvement

Just imagine the financial hit Sunderland will take if they are relegated, with player contracts similar to what we had under O'Neill, Fulham are the same. Surely safeguarding the future of the clubs finances was and is a sensible idea. Sure, we have risked our premier league survival, which could be counter productive, but at least we wouldn't be hit as hard if we did go down. Plus, Lambert has spent £50m, it's not like we've not spent at all.

what an awfully depressing reasoning that we should somehow be grateful

• Like 1

What an awfully depressing interpretation of what he said. 

I've seen very little to suggest that 2 or 3 more expensive signings in the summer will lead to big improvement.

Really?

So you don't think that guzan, okore, vlaar, bacuna, Bertrand, delph, benteke, gabby. Along with 3 players of the same calibre will make much difference?

I beg to differ.

But if the manager is still Lambert and the signings are let's say Holt, Hoolahan Bertrand and Naughton, then no i don't see us making any big improvement

Those aren't expensive signings though, are they?

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

So it appears that there was something going on behind the scenes the other day involving Culverhouse although the stuff about a row with Delph and Gabby isn't apparently true.

I've just been told that Culverhouse and Cowans were having a shouting match at Bodymoor the other day, which is pretty unlike Sid as anyone who has ever met the guy will know. Anyway, Lambert backed Cowans rather than Culverhouse in front of some of the players and members of the coaching staff.

I've also been told that Lambert actually fined Culverhouse after that incident when he shouted at the fans behind the dugout. It sounds like Lambert is sick of Culverhouse and jumped to Cowans defence and is supposed to have told him Cowans has forgotten more about football than he will ever know. I'm told that Culverhouse has held a grudge with Lambert since the fine and its affected training.

Now, I don't expect this to particularly change peoples views on the manager or his performance but its a change from talking about percentage possession or Grant Holt. :)

There has been lots of rumours about Culverhouse having some sort of bust up and stuff from Lambert talking in code. I believe this is what it all relates to from what I've been told by someone who is normally very reliable.

• Like 4

The version I heard and has been going around the internet for a weeks is that Cowans was unhappy with the way Culverhouse had been treating some of the reserve players and when Cowans confronted him about it, Lambert took Culverhouse's side but some of the players sided with Cowans.

The version I heard and has been going around the internet for a weeks is that Cowans was unhappy with the way Culverhouse had been treating some of the reserve players and when Cowans confronted him about it, Lambert took Culverhouse's side but some of the players sided with Cowans.

That's the version that has been doing the rounds. 

I don't think that is far from the truth with the exception of the last bit re Lambert backing Culver.

• Like 1

Lambert shouldn't be using the unrest as an excuse. This happens everywhere. Think of all the manager/player and player/player contretemps that have been in the press and that's only the ones you hear about.

What an awfully depressing interpretation of what he said. 

Really?

I beg to differ.

Those aren't expensive signings though, are they?

Depends on you wallet i suppose, Nuaghton and Bertrand would probably be just below or about what we payed for Kozak last summer so for us that's top dollar.

I think that's some of the players Lambert would look at and they are about the same calibre as the players mentioned in the post.

Surely no one still thinks Lerner will suddenly loosen the purse strings and let Lambert sign loads of players on high wages?

I bet the few pro Lambert fans left on here never let go of there ex girlfriends either. Even when they got cheated on, they would say they didn't mean it :D

What a strange thing to say..

I have a feeling that the original poster was cheated on by an ex-girlfriend. Poor sod

Â