Paul Lambert

limpid

i would just love to know Doug's take on it all.....He would know right down to the last detail.

we need a whistleblower.

Edited by TRO

I dunno, I mean, let's say we did go in for the players mentioned as targets who were too expensive.

Guzan

Bacuna Okore Vlaar Bertrand

Barry

Westwood Delph

Holtby

Lukaku Benteke

That is a very solid lineup. A few proper additions would make our squad top 10 quality at minimum IMO, with decent players on the bench too. I think we would improve.

But you still need the tactical nous and motivation to build a good team even with quality players. No one could do alot with even Chelsea before Mourinho came back. I still worry he will have no idea with quality in the side.

I'm not saying we'll buy those players, or that we would become an instant success, but just showing how the quality of our team could improve incredibly with a few additions.

I dunno whether he'd make it work, personally I think he could based on his work at Norwich and how they played, but we will see I guess. I can't see the funds being put up.

Edited by samjp26

I've seen very little to suggest that 2 or 3 more expensive signings in the summer will lead to big improvement.

Really?

So you don't think that guzan, okore, vlaar, bacuna, Bertrand, delph, benteke, gabby. Along with 3 players of the same calibre will make much difference?

I beg to differ.

Jeez that line up is weak. I agree with TRO. Bertrand has gone backwards.

Guzan - solid.

Okore - still an unknown but looked promising

Vlaar - meh for me.

Bacuna - just don't get the love-in here. 

Bertrand - Looks half the player that came to us.

Delph - Good but not great.

Gabby - looks like he'd struggle in the championship at the moment.

Benteke - so far ahead of the others it's embarrassing.

• Like 1

To be fair to the fans, you can not wonder why there are so many conflicting arguments, because there are so many hidden agenda's inside B6, you would fall over them.

No one has the honesty and integrity to face up to the mismanagement, misjudgment and procrastination that has manifested itself in this club....there is no doubt in my mind that the sheer existence of some of the staff has had a detrimental knock on effect to some of the others and its bringing the place down...some are victims I suspect others are just bare faced incompetents that want to blame others.....they must be like a pack of wolves right now....hanging on to their jobs.

Tro - I think the exact opposite. Their is unity at Villa park. Most importantly from The Chairman, The CEO & The Manager. That to me spells out long term success.

The problem at the moment is the understandable frustration of the fans.

As much as I am unhappy with this I am glad the fans are able to vent their spleen as it shows their passion & how much they are hurting & ultimately their great desires & ambitions for this club.

I personally still believe we all have to bite the bullet on this one, ride out the storm & eventually the whole club will turn around & move onwards & upwards.

Lambert just needs time & proper understanding.

That Telegraph article makes me feel like Doug never went away.

Coming to the end of another crap season? Brief the press that things are going to change in the summer, we will buy big, etc.

Perhaps Randy is Dougs step son.

That Telegraph article makes me feel like Doug never went away.

Coming to the end of another crap season? Brief the press that things are going to change in the summer, we will buy big, etc.

Yep.

To be fair to the fans, you can not wonder why there are so many conflicting arguments, because there are so many hidden agenda's inside B6, you would fall over them.

No one has the honesty and integrity to face up to the mismanagement, misjudgment and procrastination that has manifested itself in this club....there is no doubt in my mind that the sheer existence of some of the staff has had a detrimental knock on effect to some of the others and its bringing the place down...some are victims I suspect others are just bare faced incompetents that want to blame others.....they must be like a pack of wolves right now....hanging on to their jobs.

Tro - I think the exact opposite. Their is unity at Villa park. Most importantly from The Chairman, The CEO & The Manager. That to me spells out long term success.

As much as I am unhappy with this I am glad the fans are able to vent their spleen as it shows their passion & how much they are hurting & ultimately their great desires & ambitions for this club.

I personally still believe we all have to bite the bullet on this one, ride out the storm & eventually the whole club will turn around & move onwards & upwards.

My heart wants to believe every word you have said......but my head won't allow it.

• Like 1

That Telegraph article makes me feel like Doug never went away.

Coming to the end of another crap season? Brief the press that things are going to change in the summer, we will buy big, etc.

Perhaps Randy is Dougs step son.

No, that's Dwight Yorke ;)

No, the problem is that the football is the worst in the division by far. There have been virtually no displays of team flare this season at all. No movement, no give and go. Utter drivel. I for one could forgive the bad results if I could see any light on the horizon, but the football is just so one-dimensional and agricultural that I can't.

• Like 1

I dunno, I mean, let's say we did go in for the players mentioned as targets who were too expensive.

Guzan

Bacuna Okore Vlaar Bertrand

Barry

Westwood Delph

Holtby

Lukaku Benteke

That is a very solid lineup. A few proper additions would make our squad top 10 quality at minimum IMO, with decent players on the bench too. I think we would improve.

Well we wouldn't have bought any of them and we can only loan 2 of them.

I can't see him staying if he's lost the fans. Needs something Saturday to not lose them completly.

He hasn't lost the fans. I back Lambo 100% & I am not the only poster who holds that view on VT either.

The reality is he has only lost the impatient fans & not the one's who believe in the Lambert Project & see that as the bigger picture.

Some fans have only turned recently out of frustration at having to stick with a long term project that has been derailed mainly due to the loss of our talisman Benteke.

Get over the line & many of these fans can easily be won back again.

Also, there is no shame in being wrong or frustrated because it is only due to the hurt & despair of seeing our beloved Villa languishing down amongst the dead men.

Lambert has balls & I like that.

As for the fans currently against him I would say "Don't Ball's It Up For The Rest Of Us!"

Are you honestly still coming out with this crap? Every time I put you right, you ignore my post and 20 pages later you're still bleating on about "impatient fans" and "Project Lambert" - it's getting really, really tiresome.

Everybody knows, pro-Lambert/anti Lambert, that the Villa fanbase has been extremely patient with Paul Lambert. Will you please, please. please stop typing tosh. On Saturday he lost the away fans, notoriously the "last line of defence" for a manager and everyone knows this. Yes, sure, if we went on a 20 game winning streak now then he'd win them back because all football fans are fickle but there's more chance of you shutting up about "Project Lambert" than that happening.

If you love Lambert, and think he can take us forward, fine. But please stop calling our dedicated away following "impatient" as if your viewpoint is the majority. It's not.

I think you'll find the last line of defence is the Chairman.

Wrong again. Chairman come and go, the fans are the constant. Give it a rest.

No. Some fans go & never return. Fans are fickle. I know fans that have never gone back to Villa park because of Doug Ellis. The Chairman is the last line of defence because he ultimately chooses whether a manager stays or goes. That is my point & you know I am right.

Oh dear, can you seriously not see that I am talking about fans as a collective here? Not individual fans :wacko:   Without the fans, there would be no chairman or football club. Your attempt to tell me that certain fans do not return because of certain issues, in a perverse attempt to somehow prove a point, is laughable.

Besides the point, stop cherry picking one thing I said and understand my main point: the fans have not been impatient (as you keep wrongly suggesting) and when you lose the away fans, it is very, very unlikely you will ever win them back.

No. You claim that Paul Lambert has lost the fans & that they are the last line of defence. Who will sack Paul Lambert?

The fans or the Chairman?

Go back & re-read all my posts & you will see that I also stated that the fans who had lost their patience can just as easily be won back round again.

My overall point though is that Lambert has not lost the fans only some of them.

I'm not "claiming" anything. It's fact. The away support, which is always the last group of fans to 'turn' and the most tolerant of our fan base as they generally see the players in the flesh week in week out and are less like 'customers' as our home fans can sometimes come across, let its feelings be known towards Lambert on Saturday. There is even a video if you don't believe me. It is generally accepted, hence why the media have made such a big fuss about that YouTube video, that when the away support turns with such ferocity and numbers like it did at the weekend then the manager is walking an extremely thin tightrope. You telling me that the Chairman makes the ultimate decision on his contract is by the by, the fact is when you lose the majority of the fanbase (including the away fans) THAT is your last line of defence just as it was for Alex McLeish.

"The reality is he has only lost the impatient fans & not the one's who believe in the Lambert Project" is what you said - and that, as I've said repeatedly, is plain wrong and quite frankly insulting to those who fork out money for expensive away tickets plus all the add-ons that go with it week after week. By saying things like that you just come across as deluded, as everyone knows it's not just the "impatient fans" he's lost here. You know it too. Go on, admit it...

• Like 2

Paul Lambert ready to rebuild Aston Villa as fan unrest growsManager is safe in his job with plans to clear out his transfer failures and bring in quality signings to avoid third successive relegation battle next seasonPaul Lambert ready for summer of rebuilding at Aston Villa as fan unrest grows after another poor campaignNail biter: Paul Lambert looks on as Aston Villa slump to defeat at Crystal Palace Photo: GETTY IMAGESJohn Percy By John Percy10:30PM BST 14 Apr 2014 CommentsCommentPaul Lambert is ready to drastically reshape his Aston Villa squad this summer as he battles against growing unrest from supporters.Lambert will clear out a number of his transfer failures and introduce a new philosophy in an attempt to avoid a third successive relegation battle next season, with the backing of chairman Randy Lerner.Aleksandar Tonev, Nicklas Helenius, Antonio Luna, Yacouba Sylla and Jordan Bowery are all likely casualties in a clear acknowledgement that Lambert’s previous policy of buying young and hungry players at cheap prices has not worked.Christian Benteke has proven a huge success after signing for around £8  million from Genk two years ago and Lambert will hope to bring in quality signings for similar fees, focusing less on simply bulking up the squad.The 44-year-old is facing increasing criticism from supporters after another bitterly disappointing campaign, with Villa’s chief executive Paul Faulkner issuing an unprecedented plea for unity ahead of the crucial game against Southampton on Saturday.Lambert’s position remains secure, with negotiations over a new contract postponed until the end of the season, but patience is running out, the clearest signs yet of mutiny from a frustrated fan base emerging with Saturday’s defeat at Crystal Palace.Lerner, the club’s American owner, has been the main focal point of anger with accusations that he has lacked ambition after significantly stripping back investment. However, Villa’s results and performances, plus Lambert’s tactics and signings, are coming under greater scrutiny this season.Villa fans have endured 10 home defeats in the Premier League this season and a humiliating FA Cup exit to Sheffield United, while the 1-0 defeat at Selhurst Park leaves the club only four points above the relegation zone.Villa’s move to start discussions with Lambert over a new deal, revealed by the Telegraph in February, has also been an important topic of debate. Villa remain fully behind Lambert, however, and are reluctant to avoid any further upheaval by changing managers.Despite their lingering fears of relegation, Lambert is already planning for next season and will significantly adjust his transfer policy to recover from two years of mediocrity.When he was appointed in June 2012 he was under instructions to lower a bloated wage bill and has spent almost £40 million in four transfer windows on 15 players.If Villa avoid relegation, his funds this summer will be boosted by a minimum £63 million from the new television deal, while the club will look to offload their highly-paid players Darren Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton permanently.Lambert is also keen to retain the core members of his squad and will offer new contracts to Fabian Delph and Ron Vlaar.A defeat by Southampton on Saturday, however, will only add to the growing discontent in the stands.Faulkner admitted in a statement on Monday: “We are hurting. Fans are hurting, players and the manager are hurting. The frustration is shared by everyone who loves Aston Villa.“Now more than ever it’s time for us all to pull together – fans, players, the manager, everyone at the club. Our immediate focus and combined efforts need to be concentrated on our game against Southampton this weekend and on our remaining games this season.“We need to channel our energies into creating a positive atmosphere and getting the result we need on Saturday at Villa Park and in the games that follow.“We know we can handle adversity. What we need now is for everyone to stick behind the team and continue to show the great support that is a hallmark of our club.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10765882/Paul-Lambert-ready-to-rebuild-Aston-Villa-as-fan-unrest-grows.html

I won't be hoodwinked into renewing my ST again by articles and shit like this coming from the club after the record of broken promises and non investment in the team. I wish the board, coaches and manager would **** off and continue the failure somewhere else.

• Like 1

Paul Lambert ready to rebuild Aston Villa as fan unrest grows Manager is safe in his job with plans to clear out his transfer failures and bring in quality signings to avoid third successive relegation battle next season
paul-lambert_2882188b.jpg
Nail biter: Paul Lambert looks on as Aston Villa slump to defeat at Crystal Palace Photo: GETTY IMAGES

10:30PM BST 14 Apr 2014

comments.gif1 Comment

Paul Lambert is ready to drastically reshape his Aston Villa squad this summer as he battles against growing unrest from supporters.

Lambert will clear out a number of his transfer failures and introduce a new philosophy in an attempt to avoid a third successive relegation battle next season, with the backing of chairman Randy Lerner.

Aleksandar Tonev, Nicklas Helenius, Antonio Luna, Yacouba Sylla and Jordan Bowery are all likely casualties in a clear acknowledgement that Lambert’s previous policy of buying young and hungry players at cheap prices has not worked.

Christian Benteke has proven a huge success after signing for around £8  million from Genk two years ago and Lambert will hope to bring in quality signings for similar fees, focusing less on simply bulking up the squad.

The 44-year-old is facing increasing criticism from supporters after another bitterly disappointing campaign, with Villa’s chief executive Paul Faulkner issuing an unprecedented plea for unity ahead of the crucial game against Southampton on Saturday.

Lambert’s position remains secure, with negotiations over a new contract postponed until the end of the season, but patience is running out, the clearest signs yet of mutiny from a frustrated fan base emerging with Saturday’s defeat at Crystal Palace.

Lerner, the club’s American owner, has been the main focal point of anger with accusations that he has lacked ambition after significantly stripping back investment. However, Villa’s results and performances, plus Lambert’s tactics and signings, are coming under greater scrutiny this season.

Villa fans have endured 10 home defeats in the Premier League this season and a humiliating FA Cup exit to Sheffield United, while the 1-0 defeat at Selhurst Park leaves the club only four points above the relegation zone.

Villa’s move to start discussions with Lambert over a new deal, revealed by the Telegraph in February, has also been an important topic of debate. Villa remain fully behind Lambert, however, and are reluctant to avoid any further upheaval by changing managers.

Despite their lingering fears of relegation, Lambert is already planning for next season and will significantly adjust his transfer policy to recover from two years of mediocrity.

When he was appointed in June 2012 he was under instructions to lower a bloated wage bill and has spent almost £40 million in four transfer windows on 15 players.

If Villa avoid relegation, his funds this summer will be boosted by a minimum £63 million from the new television deal, while the club will look to offload their highly-paid players Darren Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton permanently.

Lambert is also keen to retain the core members of his squad and will offer new contracts to Fabian Delph and Ron Vlaar.

A defeat by Southampton on Saturday, however, will only add to the growing discontent in the stands.

Faulkner admitted in a statement on Monday: “We are hurting. Fans are hurting, players and the manager are hurting. The frustration is shared by everyone who loves Aston Villa.

“Now more than ever it’s time for us all to pull together – fans, players, the manager, everyone at the club. Our immediate focus and combined efforts need to be concentrated on our game against Southampton this weekend and on our remaining games this season.

“We need to channel our energies into creating a positive atmosphere and getting the result we need on Saturday at Villa Park and in the games that follow.

“We know we can handle adversity. What we need now is for everyone to stick behind the team and continue to show the great support that is a hallmark of our club.”

LAMBERT OUT 

LAMBERT OUT

LAMBERT OUT

Edited by Mendi

I can't see him staying if he's lost the fans. Needs something Saturday to not lose them completly.

He hasn't lost the fans. I back Lambo 100% & I am not the only poster who holds that view on VT either.

The reality is he has only lost the impatient fans & not the one's who believe in the Lambert Project & see that as the bigger picture.

Some fans have only turned recently out of frustration at having to stick with a long term project that has been derailed mainly due to the loss of our talisman Benteke.

Also, there is no shame in being wrong or frustrated because it is only due to the hurt & despair of seeing our beloved Villa languishing down amongst the dead men.

As for the fans currently against him I would say "Don't Ball's It Up For The Rest Of Us!"

Are you honestly still coming out with this crap? Every time I put you right, you ignore my post and 20 pages later you're still bleating on about "impatient fans" and "Project Lambert" - it's getting really, really tiresome.

Everybody knows, pro-Lambert/anti Lambert, that the Villa fanbase has been extremely patient with Paul Lambert. Will you please, please. please stop typing tosh. On Saturday he lost the away fans, notoriously the "last line of defence" for a manager and everyone knows this. Yes, sure, if we went on a 20 game winning streak now then he'd win them back because all football fans are fickle but there's more chance of you shutting up about "Project Lambert" than that happening.

If you love Lambert, and think he can take us forward, fine. But please stop calling our dedicated away following "impatient" as if your viewpoint is the majority. It's not.

No. Some fans go & never return. Fans are fickle. I know fans that have never gone back to Villa park because of Doug Ellis. The Chairman is the last line of defence because he ultimately chooses whether a manager stays or goes. That is my point & you know I am right.

Oh dear, can you seriously not see that I am talking about fans as a collective here? Not individual fans :wacko:   Without the fans, there would be no chairman or football club. Your attempt to tell me that certain fans do not return because of certain issues, in a perverse attempt to somehow prove a point, is laughable.

Besides the point, stop cherry picking one thing I said and understand my main point: the fans have not been impatient (as you keep wrongly suggesting) and when you lose the away fans, it is very, very unlikely you will ever win them back.

No. You claim that Paul Lambert has lost the fans & that they are the last line of defence. Who will sack Paul Lambert?

Go back & re-read all my posts & you will see that I also stated that the fans who had lost their patience can just as easily be won back round again.

My overall point though is that Lambert has not lost the fans only some of them.

I'm not "claiming" anything. It's fact. The away support, which is always the last group of fans to 'turn' and the most tolerant of our fan base as they generally see the players in the flesh week in week out and are less like 'customers' as our home fans can sometimes come across, let its feelings be known towards Lambert on Saturday. There is even a video if you don't believe me. It is generally accepted, hence why the media have made such a big fuss about that YouTube video, that when the away support turns with such ferocity and numbers like it did at the weekend then the manager is walking an extremely thin tightrope. You telling me that the Chairman makes the ultimate decision on his contract is by the by, the fact is when you lose the majority of the fanbase (including the away fans) THAT is your last line of defence just as it was for Alex McLeish.

"The reality is he has only lost the impatient fans & not the one's who believe in the Lambert Project" is what you said - and that, as I've said repeatedly, is plain wrong and quite frankly insulting to those who fork out money for expensive away tickets plus all the add-ons that go with it week after week. By saying things like that you just come across as deluded, as everyone knows it's not just the "impatient fans" he's lost here. You know it too. Go on, admit it...

No. I repeat once more that I also later stated that some of those fans had only just turned on saturday out of sheer frustration & could easily be won back again. As for the video I have both seen it & commented on it & it is also an insult to claim that their opinion represents every other villa fans point of view. let's see if lambert does win back the support of the away fans. What will you say then?

Also, to further prove my point that losing the fan base is not the last line of defence, Doug Ellis lost the fan base years ago but because he was still Chairman he made the ultimate decision & just wouldn't budge. Need I explain this to you further?

No. I repeat once more that I also later stated that some of those fans had only just turned on saturday out of sheer frustration & could easily be won back again. As for the video I have both seen it & commented on it & it is also an insult to claim that their opinion represents every other villa fans point of view. let's see if lambert does win back the support of the away fans. What will you say then?

Also, to further prove my point that losing the fan base is not the last line of defence, Doug Ellis lost the fan base years ago but because he was still Chairman he made the ultimate decision & just wouldn't budge. Need I explain this to you further?

Where did I say the 'opinion of the away fans' represented every other Villa fans' point of view? Quote me... I didn't, so please stop putting words into my mouth...

Losing the fan base is the last line of defence for a manager, who is on the front-line facing the fans each and every week. I never mentioned owners losing the fan base so you can continue explaining irrelevancies to the point we were discussing if you like?

Where did I say the 'opinion of the away fans' represented every other Villa fans' point of view? Quote me... I didn't, so please stop putting words into my mouth...

Losing the fan base is the last line of defence for a manager, who is on the front-line facing the fans each and every week. I never mentioned owners losing the fan base so you can continue explaining irrelevancies to the point we were discussing if you like?

Alex Ferguson once lost the fan base before his success at Utd. Martin O' Neill kept the letters from irate fans who represented the growing disillusion at Leicester before he turned it around. Howard Kendall had similar difficulties at Everton before phenominal success. Everton lost their first 3 matches in 1984 & were bottom of the league but ended up Champions.

Losing the away fans does not necessarily mean anything as as Ihave so painstakingly pointed out to you they can  easily be won back over again.

Again here to, there must have been a number of fans at all those respective clubs lile me who believed in giving those managers a fair crack of the whip & they were right as was their Chairman in backing them all along.

Finally, I am off to bed now VillaAndLoyal & I have enjoyed our debate. It matters not to me who is right & who is wrong because I like to feel we are both mature enough to respect each others point of view & ultimately we both love Aston Villa.

I won't be changing your mind & you won't be changing mine.

Sweet Villa Dreams! :)

Alex Ferguson once lost the fan base before his success at Utd. Martin O' Neill kept the letters from irate fans who represented the growing disillusion at Leicester before he turned it around. Howard Kendall had similar difficulties at Everton before phenominal success. Everton lost their first 3 matches in 1984 & were bottom of the league but ended up Champions.

Losing the away fans does not necessarily mean anything as as Ihave so painstakingly pointed out to you they can  easily be won back over again.

Again here to, there must have been a number of fans at all those respective clubs lile me who believed in giving those managers a fair crack of the whip & they were right as was their Chairman in backing them all along.

Finally, I am off to bed now VillaAndLoyal & I have enjoyed our debate. It matters not to me who is right & who is wrong because I like to feel we are both mature enough to respect each others point of view & ultimately we both love Aston Villa.

I won't be changing your mind & you won't be changing mine.

Sweet Villa Dreams! :)

"Losing the away fans" doesn't mean anything, are you stupid. You would expect unrest after losing 10 league games at home this season (the worst in the club's 140 history) but to lose an away support who have practically sold-out the allocation for every game, paying hard earned money to watch the shite Paul Lambert is orchestrating at the moment. 

Lambert out, followed by Lerner and Faulkner, club is rotten to the core.

Edited by Avflife
  • Like 2

Â