Paul Lambert

limpid

Most managers have struggles at some point, simeone left river when they were bottom, klopps Mainz suffered a relegation, etc. Lambert so far has done a good job at every place except Livingston, and, depending on who you ask, villa. (I still think he's done a good job given the circumstances)

If a guy has an overall good record, I think a club should probably give that manager more time than someone with a worse history, even if they've had similar results. Lamberts teams from every year except this year have pretty much been about out scoring the opposition in a pretty entertaining way, and it's still garnered good results. This year has been somewhat rocky, but looking at what Villa have spent compared to other prem sides on both wages and a per player basis, it's really not bad. (Saying it's the worst in villa history or whatever is meaningless because he also took over the club in one of the worst situations in villa history)

So what I'm saying is, he should be given more time.

True, I remember last year he was getting a lot of criticism for not being able to build a defence at any of the clubs he's worked at. This year we have done much better, albeit still hopeless when Vlaar's not in the team, but we have sacrificed some attacking freedom as a result. He should take some credit for that at least, even if it's not particularly sexy to watch. Hopefully next year will be the next step where we get the balance right, with a few quality additions. If we do, and we haven't tied him down to a contract by then, we could regret it.

"Well done Paul, you've kept us in the league whilst trimming down the squad to such an extent that the club is now sustainable. You're sacked".

Yeah, ok :D

Oh yeah, such a difficult job to indentify the highly paid waste of times, completely isolate them then move them on for absolutely no recovery at all. What a brilliant piece of work there? Or if he had got some playing well again or sold them on for any fees then that's a good job!

And he has managed to replace a whole side with generally low paid, low quality replacements. Only one of which is worth more than we paid for him (benteke)! Fooking Genius work by Lambo, give him a toffee!

You clearly have a great underatnading of the job required, why didn't we employ you as manager?

Anyone that has a great underatnading is good enough for me.  :D

Bit of an interesting fact for you:

Paul Lambert is now the 5th longest serving manager in the Premier League. Only Arsene Wenger, Big Sam, Alan Pardew and Brendan Rodgers have been at their clubs longer.

How's that for stability.

Big Sam or Pardew next, maybe?

Most managers have struggles at some point, simeone left river when they were bottom, klopps Mainz suffered a relegation, etc. Lambert so far has done a good job at every place except Livingston, and, depending on who you ask, villa. (I still think he's done a good job given the circumstances)

If a guy has an overall good record, I think a club should probably give that manager more time than someone with a worse history, even if they've had similar results. Lamberts teams from every year except this year have pretty much been about out scoring the opposition in a pretty entertaining way, and it's still garnered good results. This year has been somewhat rocky, but looking at what Villa have spent compared to other prem sides on both wages and a per player basis, it's really not bad. (Saying it's the worst in villa history or whatever is meaningless because he also took over the club in one of the worst situations in villa history)

True, I remember last year he was getting a lot of criticism for not being able to build a defence at any of the clubs he's worked at. This year we have done much better, albeit still hopeless when Vlaar's not in the team, but we have sacrificed some attacking freedom as a result. He should take some credit for that at least, even if it's not particularly sexy to watch. Hopefully next year will be the next step where we get the balance right, with a few quality additions. If we do, and we haven't tied him down to a contract by then, we could regret it.

So he hasn't improved the defence if it is still hopeless without vlaar.

Take the best defender and out of any team and their defence will struggle, kompany out of city for example.

He signed a defender to improve the defence that got a bad injury after just 4 games, not sure that's Lambert's fault.

But the fact that we've conceded far less goals this season surely shows it has improved?

• Like 1

Take the best defender and out of any team and their defence will struggle, kompany out of city for example.

He signed a defender to improve the defence that got a bad injury after just 4 games, not sure that's Lambert's fault.

But the fact that we've conceded far less goals this season surely shows it has improved?

Yes losing your best defender will make things worse but it shouldn't turn into a complete shambles.

The fact that we have gained so few points without vlaar in the side, shows that the team as a unit haven't improved defensively.

But it's not just without Vlaar, it's without Okore too.

Now whilst I acknowledge his potential, I'm not saying Okore would DEFINITELY have been really good. But he was still our main summer signing in defence, and we've been without him.

So yes, when Vlaar's been out AND Okore's been out AND before Bertrand was signed, Lambert hadn't improved the defence.

But I think you'd be hard to argue that if we see those 3 in the same Villa defence it won't be much improved on last season.

• Like 4

Bit of an interesting fact for you:

Paul Lambert is now the 5th longest serving manager in the Premier League. Only Arsene Wenger, Big Sam, Alan Pardew and Brendan Rodgers have been at their clubs longer.

How's that for stability.

Rogers will have only been at plop for only a matter of days longer too.

It's not meaningless. It means lowered expectations.

We all know what it means.

But it gets so over-used now, and most of the time it isn't really applicable. Just because someone might have a different opinion to you on Lambert, Lerner, a player or a result doesn't mean they have "lower expectations".

It's quite obvious what it means so don't be so condescending.

It's the fact that it's a backhanded 'better fan' comment that is peddled out when one doesn't have anything else to say.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

I wouldn't have thought BJ thinks he is a better fan than anyone. If he does then I guess that is his prerogative though.

It is though possible he has higher expectations than some on the site. It is also possible his expectations are lower than others.

I personally set the bar pretty high when it comes to what I expect from this great club and I certainly wouldn't have those expectations lowered by another supporter.

As supporters for me we deserve way better than what has been served up over the last 4 years. All things considered and combined - fan base, income, history, location then this club as a bare minimum should comfortably be looking at no worse than top 8, competing for a top 6 finish and be competitive in the cup competitions.

In terms of Lambert then the question is I guess for me is has progress been made during his time here in terms of getting us back to where I think we should be. Now as much as I like Lambert and was over the moon when he arrived being honest I would have to say that no progress hasn't been made. This season as I have stated previously we may finish 2 or 3 points better or worse off than last season and we may finish 2 or 3 places higher or lower but in the main we have stagnated this season and stood still. The defense so long as one player stays fit is better but the football has gone backwards in comparison to the last third of last season and for the most part has been dire. The home form is an embarrassment.

Now I wouldn't put the blame solely at Lamberts door for the lack of progress. He hasn't been helped at all by the backing he has received from the owner certainly in terms of wages. He could however in some cases have spent what money he has been given better. He is most definitely responsible though for not coming close to finding a system/style of play that means we can be competitive at home.

I think we have enough to stay up this season. Beyond that I have no reason to believe another season of struggle/stagnation will not follow and for me that simply isn't anywhere near good enough and way below my expectations. That isn't better fan than anyone else bollocks by the way. That is just simply my expectations of where this great club should be not being anywhere near to being met.

• Like 1

Â