Paul Lambert

limpid

Tactically Lambert got it spot on against Liverpool so I'm unsure why some think he is weak in this area?

Because we rarely play like we did against Liverpool.
And he changed it vs Everton and got it totally wrong!!!! He is forever doing this!!
He got it right. Totally stymied a far superior everton side for 50 minutes. The issue was that he didn't react and change it sooner.

People associated defensive tactics with bad tactics. It's not the same thing.

Kept quiet an striker-less Everton side missing key players, by playing 5 at the back and hoofing it. Hardly a tactical master class was it.
Yes, keeping a champions league chasing sidee quiet away from home is a tough thing to do. Why? Villa were missing some key players as well, in fact probably just as many if not more than Everton. But ignore that and just focus on the players everton had injured.

If it was so easy to do with five at the back like you claim, why don't more do that?

Do what?

Lose, have 1 shot on target and have 29% possession, jesus wept, hardly anything to be proud of is it.

As I said, his initial tactics were good. He didn't adjust in the second half after Martinez did, that's what cost Villa the match. And a world class free kick.

So what's your point? We should lay off him because he did ok for 45 minutes? He's tactics were awful and after two great results in which we scored 6 goals he decided to do something McLeish would have been slaughtered for doing.

What we need is a new approach to coaching the defence. Sometimes they appear to agree what they are doing and sometimes they look like they have never met. But the worse scenario is when they look physically scared of making contact.

We've had more penalties awarded against us than any other team since the conception of the Premier league, I'm not surprised our defenders are scared to make contact. 

The only problem with a new attacking approach is that then we could start to concede more. Then we'd all be moaning on here - me included!

I agree, the defence has improved, and I think it's because Lambert was fed up of shipping daft goals. Even when we played well towards the end of last season we were winning games 3-2, 2-1 or drawing 3-3 and 2-2. This is why we have been more cautious, I think.

• Like 1

To be honest our defence has improved on last year, but if Vlaar is out we see silly mistakes. I think we need a new approach to attacking personally.

Excluding Vlaar....If I look at each individual defender, they don't look like they have improved to me.

Lowton has got worse

Baker has got worse

Clarke is about the same for me

Luna the honeymoon has gone(pardon the pun)

Bennet has not improved

Bacuna is lightweight, but improved marginally

Bertrand has improved the defence, but slipped back a bit, last 2 games ( hope its temporary, due to injury)

You may look at stats and they tell you there is an an improvement, but it may be at the cost of attacking.

The players need to improve individually in order for it to not affect other departments of the team or other area's of the team.

To be honest our defence has improved on last year, but if Vlaar is out we see silly mistakes. I think we need a new approach to attacking personally.

Excluding Vlaar....If I look at each individual defender, they don't look like they have improved to me.

as a unit though we don't look anywhere near as porous at the back

I definitely agree that we could improve on specific individuals but overall I think our defence has improved, as you say that is backed up by statistics.

If we can get Bertrand to stay, with Okore coming back I think we'd just need to bring in a right back to solidify the back four. It is a shame that Okore got injured as he could have made some serious progress this season.

as a unit though we don't look anywhere near as porous at the back

I understand what you and samjp are alluding to, and as a unit i would agree...........but I would still like to see a tangible improvement in some individuals.

Clark has improved tons from last year though, no more horrendous gaffes this season.

still has a long way to go for me....just watching the West Ham game there was tell tale signs.... on his arse when Nolan scored.

He is not dominant enough, His reading of situations is suspect,he can be bullied with certain forwards, he has difficulty in recovering.He lacks composure at times when you need it.He reacts rather than take charge of a situation.

For me Baker and Clarke are not good enough.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Seeing Sunderland etc do well in the cups is horrible.

I'd like us to give it a proper go in the cups next season.

League Cup or FA cup are both silverware whether people rate it or not and we haven't won anything in time.

It's atleast something we can look forward to in what is a poor season year in year out.

It's almost shameful how we go out these cups.

Just a theory, but, what if we sacked Lambert as soon as the season ends ,bring in a new guy (Laudrup anyone) to have full pre season and start to coach a new style, maybe give him 20 million and with Okore, NZog, (ok questionable) Kozak back in the squad, hopefully keep Benteke, you can truely admit there would'nt be a improvement on this season. Keeping Lambert another season I would'nt like to bet on progress!

• Like 1

Â