Paul Lambert

limpid

We're 4 points better off than this time last year.

We're on course to finish with very similar points

We look likely to break a club record in home defeats.

There's some real clutching of straws when the word progression is thrown out.

Edited by Big_John_10

Ive had to catch up today as been out all day with no access. Summary as I see it is there is maybe 1.5 fans on this thread that still have belief in Lambert!  Pretty poor I would say.

Problem for me is, he should have built on the passing, entertaining football he started with at the begining of the season against Arsenal, Man City, Liverplop. Instead we have digressed from that and to me this isn't progress. You can compare from last season where there might be a little progression (although very hard to notice), but the real comparison should be from the start of the season onwards and looking at this, we have got worst and lost all the entertainment and ability to win games with confidence. Im finding it very hard to understand what is being coached into these players, because I dont think Lambert has trust in them to play the type of football we started the season with.

If the one fan on here still 100% supports Lambert I respect it, but surely you have to question the coaching of Culverhouse and co. They are turning this team into the team we saw on day one of Lambert signing. They have been playing long enough now together to be able to pass and run into positons and know where there team mates will be. but most of them just seem so static like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. I blame lambert for changing formations, tactics much to frequent for this, he knows they are young and inexperienced, so why does he not stick with 1 or 2 formations so the squad can get used to playing this way instead of constantly changing every game???

Whatever view you have please dont assume things like this.  It could be - in my case certainly is - that some pro Lambert fans no longer wissh to have the same debate over and over again with largely the same 2 or 3 people (and they may feel the same way !!)

I am not going to kee pposting just to prove I still favour PL as Manager, and I have mates who feel the same.  The Interent is ALWAYS likely to draw those with something to complain about (not saying they aren't justified or anything) than those who aren't complaining.

It does get wearisome having largely the same argument. Those who think we need to give hiim time are obviously never going to agree withthose who think his time is up.

So I remain a supporter of keepimng the Manager, and will do right through the season, no matter what happens in the games, for the reasons I  - and others  - have said over and over - but I wont keep posting it !!!

Nobody -  as far as I know - is happy at the rate we are progressing - but the difference is some think it better to stay with a guy they still have some faith or belief in rather than the upheaveal and Square One approach.  As to why some think he is ok and some dont, well it seems to me a common trait of those who want rid is they think, or 'know' he could have bought better, and/or had better tactics - in other words they know stuff that the likes of me are prepared to say we dont know.  The country is full of fans who think player X is a waste of time, but he still gets picked by the Manager, at national level we have had Darren Anderton, Heskey etc, where every fan in a pub will agree they are u/s but every Manager picks them, so I am dont think it really holds water that some dont like players XYZ - I can pull up loads of quotes from posters on here to the effect that Petrov was a waste of space in game after game for an example closer to home.

I see after almost every game - as recently as West Ham, Cardiff away, Everton away.....the list goes on.....people saying 'we should have won that' or 'we should beat them at home' etc - if you put even just a couple of these together we would almost be level with Man United - now those who do not want rid of PL are also maybe those who dont think it IS reasonable to expect us to be at that level yet.

Is the coaching awful ?  Well the Hammers fans were saying that about Allerdyce a few weeks ago, now he has won 3 in 3......Newcastle fans thought they were heading for Top 6 a few weeks ago, now ...?   Arsenal were world beaters, as were Man City - now listen to their fans.  So those who are ok with things maybe think that defensive errors, tactical mistakes, and strikers who miss chances, are all part of the game.

I am as baffled as anyone as to why PL abandons what appears to be a more energetic, pacy, passing style, on a regular basis, for a variety of other styles - but I simply dont go for the idea that he is clueless etc - it just seems such a silly presumption.

You may be right that the reason the Team struggle to pass and move is the constant  changing formation - but if you know that, maybe he knows that, and does it anyway, maybe not because he is mad, but has a reason ?  Another Manager and set of coaches would do other baffling things..(.remember MON always taking Shorey off after 60 minutes )

So, one can be a supporter of PL without always replying to the constant criticism, and whilst still being fed up when we play poorly, and still being puzzled over certain choices, or still being unconvinced by some players.  Because we may think we DO agree with the cull, that we dont necessarily know who better we could have got or not got, that we may not be the tactical geniuses we like to think we are, and that amidst the sometimes dross - just like lots of other sides play dross - there are enough signs that he may be just what we need.

What other presumption is there though? We play really well, look threatening, create chances then the next game we'll play 5 at the back and hoof balls up to holt all day long and generally just look like a championship team playing against one of the big boys. We just doing it to lull teams into a false sense of security so we can rocket up the table at the end of the season? The presumption he has no clue what to do with the team seems to have its evidence and is far from silly in my opinion.

• Like 1

You really think  - like so many fans sing of their Managers when stuff happens they don't like - that 'you dont know what you are doing' is a legitimate diagnosis ?

Graham Taylor really was a Turnip ?  Bobby Robson was cluless ?  Capello was an idiot ? 

They are just a few of the higher profile ones whose tactics and methods have baffled and infuriated media, fans and pros - is it really likely they were just all plain stupid ?  But after any game anytime you will have fans of both sucessful and unsuccesful teams saying similar.

Then all these Managers are guilty of a giant con trick ?

I think a more likely answer is that because WE dont know what they are doing, we suggest They dont know what they are doing.  I really dont think that just because I cant figure it out, he must be an idiot !!

• Like 2

You really think  - like so many fans sing of their Managers when stuff happens they don't like - that 'you dont know what you are doing' is a legitimate diagnosis ?

Graham Taylor really was a Turnip ?  Bobby Robson was cluless ?  Capello was an idiot ? 

They are just a few of the higher profile ones whose tactics and methods have baffled and infuriated media, fans and pros - is it really likely they were just all plain stupid ?  But after any game anytime you will have fans of both sucessful and unsuccesful teams saying similar.

I think a more likely answer is that because WE dont know what they are doing, we suggest They dont know what they are doing.  I really dont think that just because I cant figure it out, he must be an idiot !!

It feels like there is something about the make up and balance of the team that seems to force certain playing behaviours that are possibly beyond even Lambert's control.

I noticed how as soon as Bertrand came in we started to show confidence down the left hand side and open up more, possibly because players could get forward more and not have to keep tracking back.

When Vlaar isn't playing there is also a different team mentality, no matter what the formation we seem more cautious - and possibly end up playing more at the back and more long balls (just a gut association made here).

I don't think Lambert has anything to do with why Gabby, Weimann and sometimes tuck in and don't provide any width. I have seen us play positively (without 5 at the back) and either have gone to the middle even when Tekkers is playing. Even when we are playing well Weimann goes missing altogether or Gabby floats into areas where his pace is wasted.

Not saying Lambert doesn't greatly contribute to tactics and how the players play, but I agree it is almost too baffling just to be down to him alone. Bottom line is, he is the only man who can do anything about it.

Ive had to catch up today as been out all day with no access. Summary as I see it is there is maybe 1.5 fans on this thread that still have belief in Lambert!  Pretty poor I would say.

Problem for me is, he should have built on the passing, entertaining football he started with at the begining of the season against Arsenal, Man City, Liverplop. Instead we have digressed from that and to me this isn't progress. You can compare from last season where there might be a little progression (although very hard to notice), but the real comparison should be from the start of the season onwards and looking at this, we have got worst and lost all the entertainment and ability to win games with confidence. Im finding it very hard to understand what is being coached into these players, because I dont think Lambert has trust in them to play the type of football we started the season with.

If the one fan on here still 100% supports Lambert I respect it, but surely you have to question the coaching of Culverhouse and co. They are turning this team into the team we saw on day one of Lambert signing. They have been playing long enough now together to be able to pass and run into positons and know where there team mates will be. but most of them just seem so static like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. I blame lambert for changing formations, tactics much to frequent for this, he knows they are young and inexperienced, so why does he not stick with 1 or 2 formations so the squad can get used to playing this way instead of constantly changing every game???

Whatever view you have please dont assume things like this.  It could be - in my case certainly is - that some pro Lambert fans no longer wissh to have the same debate over and over again with largely the same 2 or 3 people (and they may feel the same way !!)

I am not going to kee pposting just to prove I still favour PL as Manager, and I have mates who feel the same.  The Interent is ALWAYS likely to draw those with something to complain about (not saying they aren't justified or anything) than those who aren't complaining.

It does get wearisome having largely the same argument. Those who think we need to give hiim time are obviously never going to agree withthose who think his time is up.

So I remain a supporter of keepimng the Manager, and will do right through the season, no matter what happens in the games, for the reasons I  - and others  - have said over and over - but I wont keep posting it !!!

Nobody -  as far as I know - is happy at the rate we are progressing - but the difference is some think it better to stay with a guy they still have some faith or belief in rather than the upheaveal and Square One approach.  As to why some think he is ok and some dont, well it seems to me a common trait of those who want rid is they think, or 'know' he could have bought better, and/or had better tactics - in other words they know stuff that the likes of me are prepared to say we dont know.  The country is full of fans who think player X is a waste of time, but he still gets picked by the Manager, at national level we have had Darren Anderton, Heskey etc, where every fan in a pub will agree they are u/s but every Manager picks them, so I am dont think it really holds water that some dont like players XYZ - I can pull up loads of quotes from posters on here to the effect that Petrov was a waste of space in game after game for an example closer to home.

I see after almost every game - as recently as West Ham, Cardiff away, Everton away.....the list goes on.....people saying 'we should have won that' or 'we should beat them at home' etc - if you put even just a couple of these together we would almost be level with Man United - now those who do not want rid of PL are also maybe those who dont think it IS reasonable to expect us to be at that level yet.

Is the coaching awful ?  Well the Hammers fans were saying that about Allerdyce a few weeks ago, now he has won 3 in 3......Newcastle fans thought they were heading for Top 6 a few weeks ago, now ...?   Arsenal were world beaters, as were Man City - now listen to their fans.  So those who are ok with things maybe think that defensive errors, tactical mistakes, and strikers who miss chances, are all part of the game.

I am as baffled as anyone as to why PL abandons what appears to be a more energetic, pacy, passing style, on a regular basis, for a variety of other styles - but I simply dont go for the idea that he is clueless etc - it just seems such a silly presumption.

You may be right that the reason the Team struggle to pass and move is the constant  changing formation - but if you know that, maybe he knows that, and does it anyway, maybe not because he is mad, but has a reason ?  Another Manager and set of coaches would do other baffling things..(.remember MON always taking Shorey off after 60 minutes )

So, one can be a supporter of PL without always replying to the constant criticism, and whilst still being fed up when we play poorly, and still being puzzled over certain choices, or still being unconvinced by some players.  Because we may think we DO agree with the cull, that we dont necessarily know who better we could have got or not got, that we may not be the tactical geniuses we like to think we are, and that amidst the sometimes dross - just like lots of other sides play dross - there are enough signs that he may be just what we need.

This is exactly, word for word my point of view

It could be - in my case certainly is - that some pro Lambert fans no longer wissh to have the same debate over and over again with largely the same 2 or 3 people (and they may feel the same way !!)

Or that as the season continues there's less and less evidence to support the defence of the job he's doing.

It could be - in my case certainly is - that some pro Lambert fans no longer wissh to have the same debate over and over again with largely the same 2 or 3 people (and they may feel the same way !!)

Or that as the season continues there's less and less evidence to support the defence of the job he's doing.

You're right - let's just sack him now.

• Like 1

It doesn't really take a idiot to understand our results though.

I fancy this side.

-----------------Guzan-----------------

----------Lowton-----Clark--Baker------

Herd-----------------------------------Luna

-----------KEA-----Westwood---Sylla-------

---------------Bowery----------Holt--------------

Our results are that of a mid table team, which is where we are currently. Sometimes we play well, sometimes bad and mostly a mixture of the two. A typical mid table team.

You really think - like so many fans sing of their Managers when stuff happens they don't like - that 'you dont know what you are doing' is a legitimate diagnosis ?

Graham Taylor really was a Turnip ? Bobby Robson was cluless ? Capello was an idiot ?

They are just a few of the higher profile ones whose tactics and methods have baffled and infuriated media, fans and pros - is it really likely they were just all plain stupid ? But after any game anytime you will have fans of both sucessful and unsuccesful teams saying similar.

I think a more likely answer is that because WE dont know what they are doing, we suggest They dont know what they are doing. I really dont think that just because I cant figure it out, he must be an idiot !!

Our results are that of a mid table team, which is where we are currently. Sometimes we play well, sometimes bad and mostly a mixture of the two. A typical mid table team.

We're on course to finish on the same points as last year.

West Ham were 18th 4 days ago and are now a midtable team

You really think - like so many fans sing of their Managers when stuff happens they don't like - that 'you dont know what you are doing' is a legitimate diagnosis ?

Graham Taylor really was a Turnip ? Bobby Robson was cluless ? Capello was an idiot ?

They are just a few of the higher profile ones whose tactics and methods have baffled and infuriated media, fans and pros - is it really likely they were just all plain stupid ? But after any game anytime you will have fans of both sucessful and unsuccesful teams saying similar.

I think a more likely answer is that because WE dont know what they are doing, we suggest They dont know what they are doing. I really dont think that just because I cant figure it out, he must be an idiot !!

We're on course to finish on the same points as last year.

Being on course means sweet fa. The end of the season points is what really matters. Otherewise you're debating about what if.

I am sure of somethings and unsure of others

1. I am sure for large portions of games we are playing rubbish football...I am also sure that for portions of some games we can play some decent football. I am also sure when we play some of the decent football we simply can't sustain it. I am also sure that as readily we can beat teams better than us, we can just as easily struggle with teams lesser than us. We are a bit of an Enigma.

2. I am unsure how much of the above directly relates to Lambert as much as it is understandable to blame him for what they do directly, there are so many things that go on or don't go on that we are not aware of. I think there are so many posters on here that want to see it work for him. I suspect some of the things we complain about with certain players he does too, but with the moderns game as opposed you yesteryear, manager are less inclined to say it openly, with communication so free today, it is more difficult to be open, whereas years ago they would say to a journalist " he had a bad 'un today"

You can talk about systems and formations all day long but if basic things are not being carried out by individual players, getting systems and formations right is cosmetic. My gut feel and watching the game tells me our players in terms of reading the game are dull, in short they make hard work of it, and as a result injuries occur more frequently and fatigue becomes a natural enemy. I'm not sure what Paul Lambert can do in terms of playing the game for them.... but equally he signed them, perhaps he needs to do more research to sign intelligent players.

If Randy Lerner is to be blamed for signing poor managers it follows that the same responsibility should be afforded to the managers themselves for signing poor players.

I look back to the Ron Saunders days when Tony Barton done the talent spotting and Roy McLaren did the training ground work....I watched intently to players we had never heard of coming in for modest fee's( even in those days, when Liverpool were signing all the best) they were turning the players in to players capable of an international call up( the days when it meant something in terms of accolade) I watched each game as you could clearly see improvement in an individual player taking place from game to game.

I have a real worry at Villa that there is a myopic culture in just about every department of the club.....There seem no urgency of improvement its just a case of " It is what it is" menatlity

I finally feel sure that I have little confidence that now the austerity programme is over that anything will change.....The only thing that will change things in my view is NOUS at every level.

we have too many "also rans"

• Like 1

Tactically Lambert got it spot on against Liverpool so I'm unsure why some think he is weak in this area?

Because we rarely play like we did against Liverpool.
And he changed it vs Everton and got it totally wrong!!!! He is forever doing this!!

No, its because they are human and humans make mistakes at any level however versed they are in their profession. They are not perfect, the problem is some make more mistakes than others.

This argument would of course hold more weight if these strange tactics and changes made came to fruition but more than often they don't.

Its even more surprising how often managers get sacked too given your argument I mean they obviously know best.

This is response to nobody in particular, but I really really hate it when someone says they're happy with 10th this season and then they get accused of having their "expectations lowered"

**** off.

Â