limpid

So, pretty happy with how we've been defensively. Looks a hell of a lot more solid with Aly and Alan. 

Disappointed with us going forward. I think i'd bring on Bent. 

This game is there for the taking, though I cant see Stoke being as bad in the second half. Can see Bojan going off with Crouch coming on which will cause us a few problems. 

We've looked good, I have to say. Hutton, Cissokho, Senderos & Richardson are looking better than the players they've replaced. N'Zogbia has been disappointing, but that's all I've seen in pre-season, bar the odd magical moment. Grealish for N'Zogbia, Sanchez for Westwood next week, and we have a fairly decent side! (even with Gabby and Weimann, may I add!)

Early to judge but the new signings look to be doing very well. 

Gabby is not suited to being the lone striker and Weimann is again very frustrating. I am in doubt of their pedigree as premier league players. 

Senderos has been an upgrade over Baker/Clark so far. So that's good.

It's weird, isn't it? Now Vlaar doesn't have to babysit those two all the goddamn time, our defence looks much better, Who'd have thought? It's also nice that I'm not worried that we're going to give away a penalty from every corner and free kick from Clark shoving someone over.

Anyhoo, generally decent after a poor start. Defensively we look so much more solid than last season, and we seem to have better options going forward. I wish Nzogbia was a bit more composed, and I barely noticed Weimann was on the pitch, but overall that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

first half summary

been better side, have kept stoke very quiet. aly, richardson and hutton all looking good. aly been very good with his crosses which has suprised me

gabby looks pants,  he would be first player i would drop once we get some of our strikers fit

so far i give that performance a 7/10 but this is villa we still have 45 mins to cock it up!

Really happy with that first half, after the first 10-15 mins we really got going and have dominated since. We look solid at the back with both full backs doing very well, especially Aly. We are also getting so many players forward too, we should be 1-0 after Gabby's chance and have been in lots of good positions. Considering we are without out best player and most eagerly awaited new signing, against a team most conceded are ahead of us in quality, that could have gone an awful lot worse. 

I do hate out out-swinging corners though, just whip it in the box and make it a 50-50 chance. 

Well well well a tricky game and theyve surprised me we should be winning.

If we can somehow keep hold of Vlaar, get Sanchez, Tekkers, Kozak in we would be decent in fairness and hats off to Lambert for building a side like that on the budget hes been given.

That being said we could come out 2nd half lose a goal and fall apart and everything will be shit again. But good signs thus far, well done lads.

Â